Expedition / Navigator

Horrible Seats 08 Expy HELP.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 04:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Horrible Seats 08 Expy HELP.

Is it just me or are the seats in the 07 08 Expy's the most uncomfortable seats you have ever sat in? The drivers seat and the front passenger seats actually make my bum sore. The Seam line also seems extra thick to where it feels like its digging into the bottom of my thigh. Anyone else have these problems with their seats? If so, any easy solutions to make my ride more comfortable besides the obvious "old person" seat cushion? BTW my seats are cloth, and not leather, not sure if that would make a difference or not.

Thanks
Natty

Old 05-02-2009, 10:27 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sorry man, got the 2-tone leather in my EL and I love the seats. Only had it for about 2 weeks and they are nice

My F-150 seats are more comfortable...but they are about 2" wider than the Expy seats.

Old 05-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Thanks for your input. If you can let me know what you think about the seats after about a month or so. Im a bigger buy about 6 foot 260 lbs so that might not be helping me either. Im wondering if it would be worth it to have a person redo the seats with a denser foam. Anyone know anything about seat foams?

Old 05-03-2009, 12:27 AM
I have leather in my Limited and its just about 2 months old and they are very comfortable. Try going to a dealer and sitting in a Limited or Ediie Bauer seats and see how they compare. If different I am sure you can upfit them.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:13 AM
My issue that I cannot find a comfortable position to put the seats in. I cannot get them close to my F250....its really strange.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:14 AM
My 08 has cloth and I think they are more comfortable than my screw. Had it about a year

Old 05-03-2009, 03:51 AM

I'm 6'3" at 270+

so yeah, I feel you on some seats not being adequate for your size.

I'd check with your local upholstry shops...or the custom car shops. I'm sure somebody can point you to getting some extra cushioning for not alot of bucks

Trending Topics

Old 05-03-2009, 06:45 AM
I sure hope so, because my *** was literally sore getting out of it yesterday. Also I would love to go to a lot and sit in a limited or an EB model but I couldnt afford to drive one of them. I got this 08 XLT for 19K out the door, was used with 26K miles on it but still a good deal. If I upgraded to leather seats that means I would have to upgrade ALL the rows of seats and thats some $$. We have an upholstery shop here, think ill swing buy and see what he can do for me. If you all have anymore suggestions or input let me know.

Thanks
Natty

Old 05-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I wasnt suggesting to trade the car in or reupholster the seats to all leather. Just wanted you to go for a comparison and see if yours feels different than the others, and if different, how so, so you could have the drivers repadded or fitted to give the more comfortable feel. Usually cloth seats are more comfortable, however Leathe gets different padding and stitching patterns.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:27 AM
Thanks Mellow I plan on doing that. Anyways I work fire rescue and the ambulance we have at our station is an 08 F 350 cab. The seats in that are amazing. My question is are F250 or 350 driver seat bottom cushions compatible with the expy? Also the seats in the ambulance feel like 100% foam with no wire supports. My seat feels like metal supports running under both thighs and one across almost an H pattern. Why would ford make one seat all foam and another one foam and wire supports? Damn them.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My seat bottoms in my f150 lariat are not comfortable either, there is another thread that goes back about this subject, seems an issue with head clearance and removing foam from the seat bottoms to meet some safety spec and not spending more money on redesign, imaging that. After my 30 min commute everyday my bum hurts too So, NO it’s not just you!
(My 2000 expy was much much better, IMHO)

Old 05-04-2009, 06:26 PM
Well got some good news today. My local Ford Dealership is going to cover the costs of, i guess you would say, re-foaming my seat at their contracted upholstery shop, due to the fact that my expy is under warranty still. They are also going to put a double layer of foam and remove the metal rods used to keep the "seam" look. They will use glue instead which apparently is better because you will never feel any metal under your bum, but u still get the pleated seat look. But If anyone else has the same problem, I spoke with the upholster, he said if I had to pay this out of pocket it would cost about 80 bucks. Not to bad from an upholster. BTW Fords price just for foam was 108 dollars.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:04 PM

good to hear

keep us updated. This might be a good fix for pretty much anybody with a newer Ford with cloth seats

Old 05-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by Tylus
good to hear

keep us updated. This might be a good fix for pretty much anybody with a newer Ford with cloth seats
In my case I am talking about the leather seat bottoms.....fwiw

Old 05-05-2009, 10:01 AM
Bayou, there shouldnt be any difference, according to the ford people I spoke with, In how they repair the seats. If your vehicle is under warranty still then your taken care of. If not you can either buy a stock foam pad for about 110 bucks, and have it installed buy an upholster, who can also add more foam to the stock pad. Or you can just take it to an upholster and have him beef up the padding in it. Mine in town said he would charge about 80 bucks to fix my seat if it wasnt under warranty. So leather or not you should still be able to get your seat fixed for a decent price. Think about it, when you buy a vehicle the Seats are pretty much the only thing you have contact with during the life of your vehicle, so be comfortable!!!!

Ill let you know how mine goes. Getting it done tomorrow.

Last edited by natty911; 05-05-2009 at 10:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Horrible Seats 08 Expy HELP.