Expedition / Navigator

got the wife a new whip...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 09:51 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
nah...I'm buying her a Flex next fall. the 3.5 Ecoboost is supposed to be out for the 2010/2011 models.

then the Expy becomes mine. it's getting 4.30 gears, full Catback, and hopefully the Saleen Supercharger. the 5.4 is sooo much fun under boost.

can't wait

Old 06-20-2009, 10:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ELVATO
Cutouts?

Not sure about workaround for the intake, though.
it only takes like 5 minutes to pull the new epxy's intakes off, u could EASILY swap it back and forth while the wife isn't paying attention I pulled my wife's the 1st day she got it to the big Island still deciding if I wanna pull the snorkel. I don't really think it'll make a diff. only one way to find out I guess tho LOL pulled it off to check for silencer tube inside or any other restrictions I could've removed immidiately but besides the snorkel I dunno if there are any. there are like 6 resonators tho built into the stock box... pos imo lol

Old 06-20-2009, 10:26 PM

I've seen a few of the 09 F-150 guys use 3-4" gutter pipe and create their own custom intake pipes to get rid of the air silencers.

I'm not that brave...even though I know that is all the name brand CAI's are

Old 06-21-2009, 01:36 AM
I'm glad she or you likes the Flex. I actually thinks its a decent looking truck especially the interior layout and the fridge

Old 06-21-2009, 01:50 AM

I honestly wish I test driven a Flex first. I wouldn't own my Expy if I had.

and

I would still have my F-150...Live & Learn I guess

Old 06-21-2009, 05:33 AM
Originally Posted by Tylus
I've seen a few of the 09 F-150 guys use 3-4" gutter pipe and create their own custom intake pipes to get rid of the air silencers.

I'm not that brave...even though I know that is all the name brand CAI's are
I've done quite a few rides, 1st one was an old beater 4cyl 87 isuzu I put a 4 barrel weber on. then an 87 el camino. I even had a focus zetec hatch in like 01 I put a true CAI on, Focus central Tri-y header, nology hotwire or livewire screamin deamon coil pack and plug wires, diablo sport chip and bored out TB all installed myself, later I souped up my frontier then my wife's altima then well, u get the picture, SO I can be pretty creative... here's an intake I built in my head since reading ur last post and thinking into it a hair

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-01...Q5fAccessories

intake filter adapter just gotta bolt it to the stock box after modding it mildly LOL mostly to keep the MAF section of tube and to have some sort of box, it's 3" so it'd work fine for the amount of air it can flow specially if I replaced it with say a volant powercore or AEM dryflow cone filter w/3" outlet

here's some 3" intake that could be customized to work on the later part of the stock intake tube (still keeping a little of the MAF piping just after the MAF itself.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1995-...171|240%3A1318

a straight piece with a 90* at the end similar to the K&N model for the expy

dunno what the plumbing tube costs but I personally would rather have the crappy blue filter than a shop vac filter.. I think my buddy with an F1 that did the funky plumbing piping intake mod used a shop vac filter iirc... and all the while it was white and ugly too LOL. u can easily piece together something like an intake, I just don't really wanna resort to that lol

u could even get some carbon super sized intake piping if u wanted to spend more...

like I keep insisting tho, DEFINITELY DEFINITELY want to keep the MAF and a few inches of it's pipe front and behind it incorperated as like a bottle neck in the stockish location... maybe use this giand piping as more of a ram air before the fact, or even turn it down to a location that would run cold air in from outside the engine bay

even the honda carbon mufflers the tip is 4" so the main piece must be 5" or so, u could use it to insulate a tube and have it filled with expanding foam lots of different stuff u could do if u wanna makeshift something. there's probably cheaper ways to get carbon or polished aluminum tubes but that was where I knew I could find some...

these are about $50 shipped, just drill out the rivets and u got urself some nice carbon tubing for cheap

that's huge tho seeing as the tip is 4" I'd only use it to cover a smaller tube and fill it with insulation to keep the actual air intake pipe cool

Quick Reply: got the wife a new whip...