Expedition / Navigator

Starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 02:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Starting problem

Hey, all. Been reading a bunch of posts about starters, batteries, relays, etc...but still need a little advice on what to look for.

A friend has a '98 Expedition, 5.4L. A few days ago made a quick trip to the store (5 minute drive), and when leaving it wouldn't start. Engine was just barely turning, as if the battery were dead. Tried jumping with three other vehicles, sounded exactly the same - slow. Tow truck came, driver tried to jump it with an emergency battery, same thing.

Towed it to the house. Took the battery back to WalMart to be tested, they didn't have the time or the inclination, so they handed over a new battery. Engine turned a little faster, but still not enough to start. Cleaned wire connectors, grounds, etc...same. Removed the starter, took it to AutoZone, tested good. Bought a starter relay (or solenoid on the firewall), installed, no help.

It seems to be one of two things: the starter isn't getting enough juice to turn the engine, or the engine has suddenly gotten much harder to turn.

Last thing I can think of to try is replacing battery cables. Are there any other parts that should be tested or replaced that would give similar symptoms to a dead battery?

Can I hand crank the engine to be sure it isn't the problem? I do that on my car with a 27mm socket and a big honking wrench. Similar on an Expedition?

Thanks for any and all ideas.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:25 PM
Turns out it was choice #2, it had gotten too hard to turn. Wasn't the engine, though. The a/c clutch was seized. Replaced the whole thing, and now the engine at least turns over. However, it doesn't seem to be firing now. I need to start checking things to see what might have been damaged by having the starter work so hard, and connecting/disconnecting things over and over.

Once again, any ideas are appreciated.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:08 AM
It's running. Either the fuel pump cutoff switch (but it didn't feel like it was tripped) or one of the electrical connections that I reseated. Perhaps one was loose, and I got it tighter the second time around.

Quick Reply: Starting problem