Expedition / Navigator

2008 Expedition Caliper Binding

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 06:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 Expedition Caliper Binding

100 miles from home, only 5900 miles on the odometer and pulling a 26 foot travel trailer the right front caliper on my 2008 Expedition started binding. It wasn't noticeable at first, but the billowing smoke and the sound of the caliper grease popping while sitting at a stop light quickly made me realize somethig was very wrong. Another few miles it seemed like it would have been on fire. Long story short the truck was towed to the dealer and they did they repairs. They replaced the pads, rotor,caliper and bled the brakes. I noticed they didnt change the wheel bearing, should they have done that due to the extreme heat? Also should they have replaced the pads on the left side?

Last edited by smiggleburger; 07-17-2009 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:46 PM
Originally Posted by smiggleburger
100 miles from home, only 5900 miles on the odometer and pulling a 26 foot travel trailer the right front caliper on my 2008 Expedition started binding. It wasn't noticeable at first, but the billowing smoke and the sound of the caliper grease popping while sitting at a stop light quickly made me realize somethig was very wrong. Another few miles it seemed like it would have been on fire. Long story short the truck was towed to the dealer and they did they repairs. They replaced the pads, rotor,caliper and bled the brakes. I noticed they didnt change the wheel bearing, should they have done that due to the extreme heat? Also should they have replaced the pads on the left side?
In theory they should have but I wouldn't worry about the heat, the pads did get hot but it doesn't should like it was glowing which would transfer extreme heat to the bearing. Also I'd bet they replaced both sides of the front pads as the pads only come in pairs. If not at 5K miles there is very little wear. If it were my truck I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 07-18-2009, 04:34 PM
If I was the tech, I owuld have thouroughly checked out the bearing area when I removed everything on that side. I've seen numerous brake caliper failures like this and not once have I had an issue with a wheel bearing after the fact. Not that it couldn't happen, but like Monte said, I wouldn't worry all that much about it.

Quick Reply: 2008 Expedition Caliper Binding