Expedition / Navigator

wife's 07 expy fuel pump fuse poped while moving a trailer in the driveway

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 10:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wife's 07 expy fuel pump fuse poped while moving a trailer in the driveway

dunno what happened, she has like a 1/4 tank she called me while I was at work on lunch and was complaining that her car just died. I was like, and I'm at work wtf do u want me to do/say here? so I come home after work and start checking fuses/relays (I'm an electrician) as it made sense that a fuel system fuse/relay was bad. I didn't go at it systematically I just skimmed thru and checked anything that said anything to do with fuel system. so I finally got to fuel pump fuse and it was poped so I swapped it out with the 20a next to it AC clutch or reverse lights iirc and fired right up, so I moved it up to the end of the driveway as the tow truck was already en-route, anyway, anyone have this occur on one of these newer trucks? it also constantly blows the drivers power seat fuse when u attempt to adjust the height ever. so since we've bought it we've never been able to adjust the height of the drivers seat. I'll have them look at that also while it's there I suppose.

hope it's not something big electrical wise as I had huge plans for the stereo/entertainment system and am glad I didn't start them already otherwise they may attribute it to any aftermarket electrical draws or modifications. any insight would be awesome, wife oddly didn't want to just change the fuse and drive it around keeping a spare for some odd reason. I seriously doubt unless it's throwing codes they'd do anything than merely change the fuse...

Old 07-18-2009, 04:36 PM
As an electrician, try to find an EWD somewhere for these Expys. I'm wondering if there is a shared ground or something like that for the seat and the FP relay. ?

Old 07-18-2009, 05:40 PM
the seat is not related, the seat fuse blows all the time on it's own since we got it 2 months ago or whatever... I ran around with it blown for a month. 1st time the pump fuse ever blew tho...

Old 07-27-2009, 06:10 PM
hm.. well, ford charged us for the $144 for trouble shooting and changing the fuse for the fuel pump since fuses aren't covered under fords warranty.. sounds dump to me, car dies and u gotta pay to fix it. the seat was something shorted to ground and they fixed it. but the fuel pump fuse just went again the wife said... so they'll have to dig deeper this time... at least it'll be more free new parts LOL

wife called and said her car just died again think the fuse poped again, she's at a mechanic shop to pick up her jetta as it was getting warranty work done. and it died right there. odd that it dies with no real full load. not WOT it just pops at almost idle. I'm thinking maybe the fuel pump is on it's way possibly... under warranty so not my problem, just gets irritating... we'll see in a bit I suppose.

edit: from what I'm getting out of it. it's happening when there's 1/4 tank of gas give or take. and the mechanic put in a 30a after the 20a blew and it poped again while they were trying to come home just now less than a mile from the mechanic shop. they were about 6 miles out or so from me, I went and got our 7y/o son and came back, I'm sick and am on nyquil atm and really felt like I was drunk kinda while driving lol. not that that's ok. but had to go help them. anyway, think its the fuel pump and when there's only 1/4 tank or less it's either heating up the fuel also or exposed/partially exposed to where it can overheat and the fuse acts as the thermal overload device... not sure tho as I'm not a electric motor guy.

Last edited by HBH-Tom; 07-27-2009 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 08:42 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by HBH-Tom
mechanic put in a 30a after the 20a blew and it poped again while they were trying to come home just now less than a mile from the mechanic shop.

Please fire this mechanic. You should know this being an electrician!

Old 07-28-2009, 04:05 PM
it was all he had and was intended to just get the wife home. another 50% draw to blow won't be a problem to blow for a shorting/overheating motor as shown by the fact it blew within 1 mile of the shop

Old 07-28-2009, 09:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
that sounds like a boatload of fun

wonder if that is why the prior owner sold it?

so all the repairs are under warranty?

and if so, why did you have to pay any money for the repairs?

Trending Topics

Old 07-30-2009, 07:22 PM
fuses aren't covered apparently... she called today, and I guess they're replacing the fuel pump..

Old 07-30-2009, 08:40 PM

I get that fuses aren't covered...but c'mon. maybe $1 per fuse at most is what they should charge.

it kinda bothers me that they didn't diagnose and find the issue the first time.

and if a repair is made under Warranty, the are not allowed to charge you the Diagnostic Fee. Only if the issue is not covered under Warranty.

You under the 3yr/36k warranty or a aftermarket warranty with $100 deductible?

I would go back in there and demand my money back if I were you.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:17 PM
wife's dealing with it. she demanded money back. they're saying we may need to pay to ship the fuel pump since we bought the truck in oahu too LOL. I'm like, ok, we'll pay to ship it from oahu to here how bout that and they can over night it and take it out of the $170 they charged us the 1st time

Old 07-31-2009, 05:07 PM

wow, sounds like your repair place is about as 2nd rate the craptastic idiots over here on Oahu

Old 08-01-2009, 06:39 PM
yeah, orchid isle ford are championship dip$h!ts

Quick Reply: wife's 07 expy fuel pump fuse poped while moving a trailer in the driveway