Expedition / Navigator

2004 Expedition front/rear caliper removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 05:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Expedition front/rear caliper removal

Ok, I am doing the brakes on my wife's 2004 Expedition. I have already completed the work on the rear (without removing the caliper from the mounting bracket).

What size are the HEX Sockets needed for the Front and Rear of a 2004 Expedition?

I purchased a kit from the auto parts store that says it's a universal set and that didn't work. I then purchased a complete 7 piece set of standard hex sockets. None of them fit the rear. Before I buy any other HEX sockets I want to know what size I really need.

I am doing the front brakes this weekend because the rotors were rusted to the hub and I didn't want to go back to the store (for the 3rd time) for some PB blaster. I now have the PB blaster and plan on the front brakes this weekend.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:53 AM
Old 07-25-2009, 10:35 AM
Elvato - thanks for the link but I didn't see where it said what size bolt the cailper pin/bolt is. It does show the 18mm bolt size for the caliper braket, however I already knew that.

Old 07-25-2009, 10:59 PM
I'm sorry, I'm not really sure which bolt you're talking about. If you have time, could you take a picture?

The 2 big bolts that hold the caliper in place are 18 mm. Take those off, and you should be able to take off the rotor.

Either way, most of the bolts on the Expy are metric, so get a good set of those.

Good luck on the brake job tomorrow.

Quick Reply: 2004 Expedition front/rear caliper removal