Expedition / Navigator

broken key and theft system ugh!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
broken key and theft system ugh!!!!

the key got broke now truck wont start and theft light flashing anyone have a cure i tried disconnecting the battery for 15 mins and still a no go so now what? is there a reset button? this sux!!!!!

Old 08-03-2009, 09:48 AM
The key broke? Like the metal part broke from the PATS part? You don't have a spare, I'm assuming?

Old 08-03-2009, 01:18 PM
its the black part of the key that broke the actual key is bent just a hair, and as for another key i wish

Old 08-03-2009, 04:11 PM
Received 109 Likes on 102 Posts
If the microchip inside the black head is damaged or lost....

Choice 1) Call a mobile locksmith who has the right equipment (ASK!)

Choice 2) Tow it to a Ford dealer.

There are no other choices if the above applies.

If the microchip is still available and is good and your key is still able to operate the cylinder, secure the microchip within range of the pickup coil (surrounds the cylinder) and get a generic key cut to replace the damaged one.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:20 AM
I got lucky I guess. I found the transponder that sits inside the key, so i put it next to the key while starting and boom fired right up, luckly that lil thing didnt break, thanks again for all your help guys.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:24 AM
Originally Posted by somcoupe
its the black part of the key that broke the actual key is bent just a hair, and as for another key i wish
I am in the same boat. My wife's Expy has 1 key that is programmed, and I have 2 other PATS keys and 2 regular non-PATS. I tried to tape the 1 good key to the steering column and then use any of the other keys, but NOOOOOOO. the system would not play with me. I think I could not get the 1 good key close enough.

Originally Posted by projectSHO89
If the microchip inside the black head is damaged or lost....

Choice 1) Call a mobile locksmith who has the right equipment (ASK!)

Choice 2) Tow it to a Ford dealer.

There are no other choices if the above applies.

If the microchip is still available and is good and your key is still able to operate the cylinder, secure the microchip within range of the pickup coil (surrounds the cylinder) and get a generic key cut to replace the damaged one.
As for getting a replacement keys, call around. Be sure to tell them you want 2 programmed keys, then you can make more on your own. I have 3 Ford dealers and the lowest is $65 to program 2 keys. I will get around to it one of these days.

If you have an Edge/Ghryphon, put it back to stock before you go in as the dealer will most likely reflash.

Old 08-04-2009, 07:25 AM
Received 109 Likes on 102 Posts
Pull the column shrouds. Then, carefully remove the ring from around the cylinder. Secure the PATS key inside the ring, then try to start the engine with one of the plain keys. If it works, secure the "rig" and button it up.

I did this on my old Contour as a way of not messing with the PATS bypass for a remote start a few years back.

Trending Topics

Old 08-06-2009, 01:13 PM
i thought i was the only one with one key for my truck :o

Old 08-06-2009, 05:17 PM
First thing I did right after I bought my truck was have three spares made so now I have 5. I don't have time or money for the problems.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:30 PM
Project Sho89 is the most correct. The PATS key must be within the key coil for the system to detect the key. Sometimes this is also done when installing some remote start systems when the system bypass unit has become unavailable. Some remote start systems can come with a very good start inhibit system of their own.

Quick Reply: broken key and theft system ugh!!!!