Expedition / Navigator

Explorer vibrations?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2000, 11:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Explorer vibrations?

While out on the highway this past weekend, when I got my fiancee's '99 Explorer XLT (with stock Wilderness ATs & SOHC V6) up in the 80-90 MPH range on flat highway, the sttering wheel shook quite a bit.

No other major shaking..pretty much just the wheel. Is this normal/defect/or something I should take it to the dealership for?

Thanks.

Old 09-18-2005, 04:15 PM
Explorer Vibrations Problems Also

I had a 2002 Explorer that shook when I hit 60-65 mph. It was annoying. My sister has a 2002 also hers does the same thing. I had a 96 with no problems at all. I never took mine to the dealership. I just traded mine in and got rid of the problem.

Old 09-18-2005, 04:25 PM
Get an alignment and tire balance. If it's your fiance's then the likelihood that the thing has ever been aligned and balanced is probably close to zero (unless she has a father who was a mechanic or you did it yourself).

Shaking in the higher mph's usually means that it's an alignment/balance issue, a tire issue, or a shock/suspension issue. Either way, take it to the dealership. All those chop shops like Kwik Kar will probably just screw it up more.

Last edited by thereisnospoon; 09-18-2005 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-18-2005, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by thereisnospoon
Get an alignment and tire balance. If it's your fiance's then the likelihood that the thing has ever been aligned and balanced is probably close to zero (unless she has a father who was a mechanic or you did it yourself).

Shaking in the higher mph's usually means that it's an alignment/balance issue, a tire issue, or a shock/suspension issue. Either way, take it to the dealership. All those chop shops like Kwik Kar will probably just screw it up more.

X 2, - the dealership thing, unless you have lots of money and like giving it away to underserving car rapeists

Old 09-19-2005, 06:16 PM
Everyone always says that the dealer is expensive but I have had good luck with mine. I have a 1998 Explorer, a 2001 Expedition and a 2001 Lightning, so I know my dealer reasonably well, and I have another mechanic for minor details. My suggestion is to ask around with your friends and co-workers and see what shops they use. Definitely have it looked at though, those type of things usually get worse on their own, not better!

Old 09-19-2005, 07:45 PM
I have taken three different problems to the dealer

1) After Sirius radio install (by me) the rear air wouldn't work. Dealer said I had plugged it in wrong and they would add another pigtail for $125

Actual solution was, plug it in. Total cost for their time, $96

2) 99 Ford taurus to have transponder key cut, bought it at an auction and had none. Car still wouldn't start with key. THey replaced the battery. Still wouldn't start. THey replaced the starter. No beans. They said, its locked up for $3400 we'll replace it.

Actual solution was, tow it back to my shop, get in turn key it started. Total cost for vist--Battery $79 Keys $226 (two) Starter $225 Diagnosis of failure to start $96

3 to come later

Quick Reply: Explorer vibrations?