Expedition / Navigator

Gibson Cat-Back on Expy???

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2000, 10:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gibson Cat-Back on Expy???

Needing comments and/or suggestions for installing a Gibson Cat-Back system on a 2000 Expy. Have decided to go with the Gibson, supposedly the quietest on the market??? Anyone else out there have one on their Expy??? Power difference, mileage difference??? Comments???
D

------------------
2000 EXPY
Chipped, K&N, Loaded
super-chip@abac.com
Http://www.super-chip.com

Old 03-06-2000, 04:45 PM
Talking

I installed a Gibson on a '97 Expedition and would have changed it out had I not traded it for a 99 Exp. The Gibson was loud and at highway speeds, produced a throaty rumble that filled the cabin. Had to turn the radio way up. I also didn't notice a difference in power; however, it did sound more powerful. Perception vs. reality. Someone on the Expedition Enthusiasts site did a serious of mods including cat back, K & N filter, chip, etc. and dyno tested after each upgrade. He reported no difference in power by adding the cat back and K & N filter. the chip produced very little power increase.
Good Luck.

Old 03-06-2000, 06:36 PM
I installed a borla cat back. you notice very little noise inside. Sound good outside. My X is forced feed by a vortech Supercharger so I did see a improvement. The borla system is very well made

------------------
1999 EB X 5.9 4.1 gears, Borla catback, Vortech supercharger,superchip

Old 03-08-2000, 06:36 PM
Thumbs up

rdsii,

I know this is of the topic, but I am planning on adding a SC system to my 98 Expy. I'm caught between the Vortech system and the Kenne Bell. I was wondering as to why you installed the Vortech as opposed to the Kenne Bell. Does it make a big difference, especially in daily driving? Any plans for headers in the future?

By the way, I have a Gibson on but it is not so loud that I have to turn the radio up while on the highway, although the wifey knew that I had "added" something to the truck when she drove it.

Thanks!

Old 03-08-2000, 08:12 PM
Talking

Thanks to all respondants. I appreciate your help. This tells me to save about $159.00 and just install a flowmaster and not the cat-back system. It is really bad that product dealers can't just give you the truth and let you decide. I had salespeople telling me everything fron 40 to 10 horsepower gains with the Gibson Cat-Back. I had the flowmaster on my 99 F150 and was well pleased with the power and sound. Guess I'll have the same flowmaster installed on my Expy. Thanks to all again.

D

Old 03-09-2000, 12:50 AM
DDracing, don't forget to let us know the results.

------------------
99 Expedition -XLT-4X4-5.4-17"AT/S- Superchip-Airaid-Polk Speakers-Custom Edlbrock shocks-Rear Swaybar

Old 03-11-2000, 04:14 PM
Cool

Well I did it. After thorough research and listening to you folks, I had a Flowmaster Big Block Series installed on my Expy. I had a choice of a Gibson Cat-Back or just changing the muffler to a Flowmaster. After looking under the Expy, a Cat-back system could not help any more than just a more freely flowing muffler. The Y pipe after the catalytic converters is a 2 1/2 inch pipe, so, what would you accomplish by then going to a 3 inch after the 2 1/2 inch restriction??? After a couple of hundred miles with the Big Block muffler, I am extremely pleased. The sound level is pleasant, the torque increase is easily noticable. Not much louder at all really, just a little deeper sound. A bit expensive, compared to all the other Flowmasters, this Big Block series was $169.00 installed. Worth every cent, Meineke did an EXCELLENT job. I would heartily recommend a Flowmaster Big Block on a vehicle that you would rather
not hear several blocks away. My 99 Lariat had a 40 series Flowmaster and was much louder than this Expy. Thanks again for the help folks.
D

------------------
2000 EXPY
Chipped, K&N, Loaded
super-chip@abac.com

Old 03-11-2000, 10:50 PM
Talking

I installed a flowmaster 50 with delta flow technology on my 2000 expy and was very pleased with the result. Kept the stock pipes too, but did have a 3.5" tip welded on for the finishing touch.

Its not loud in the cab, in fact can barely hear it when cruising or idling. Has a good sound outside, deep but not too loud. Sounds like I have a V8 5.4L with some *****.

------------------

Old 03-13-2000, 07:06 PM
Smile

OK, I took the plunge and put a Magnaflow muffler and 3" tail pipe on my X. Performance is great, more torque!
Surprise me when I punched it from a stop and stuff when flying in the cab that never did before. That's when I just left the muffler shop. Disconnected the battery for a while to reset, and see if I feel any more mid to high range. But one thing, I have a drown noise after 78MPH which is about 2200RPM. My wife didn't complain thou. It might be a problem when vacationing, cruising at 80+. Anyway just thought I'd share this with you all.

------------------
99 Expedition -XLT-4X4-5.4-17"AT/S- Superchip-Airaid-Polk Speakers-Custom Edlbrock shocks-Rear Swaybar

Old 03-14-2000, 12:49 AM
DDracing
What part number was your Flowmaster? 52572? If so, that one will not fit under the heat sheild. Did they modify it?

------------------

Old 03-14-2000, 08:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just ordered a Flowmaster 70 Series (Big Block), #53070, for my 2K Expy from Austin Pro Max (www.pro-max.com) for $89.95. That was the best price I could find. Also, order the heat shields, #51022, for another $21.95. I don't know whether I'll need the shields, but decided it's better safe than sorry. Per my Ford dealer, I have 2&3/4" pipes, so I needed to order to 3" muffler. Like ddracing, I decided against the entire cat-back system, and to go with the muffler upgrade.

I called a local Midas store (Baltimore, MD) and they don't carry the Flowmaster line; but do install the equipment for less than $50. I think I'll have them do it.

The parts shipped out yesterday and are due to arrive by week's end. I'll keep you posted on the installation, and results.

Just a FYI, I Superchip'ed my Expy over the weekend. WOW!!! What a difference! Excellent throttle response, MUCH smoother tranny shifts, and MORE POWER. Worse the $200.

------------------
2000 Wedgewood Blue Expy XLT 5.4L

535 Towing package
comfort\convenience group
beige leather
captain's chairs
6 CD Changer
Ford Bug Deflector
Superchip

Old 03-14-2000, 08:42 AM
Cool

hdlouie: They installed a big block , part number 53051. This muffler fit perfectly under the shield. We did have to build a new pipe about 4" long to go from the Y after the converters to the muffler inlet. They did a perfect installation. We did not have to bend, move, nor alter the heat shield in any way. Sounds great. No loud noise, just a low mellow rumble. Not even noticable above 40 mph.
DT

------------------
2000 EXPY
Chipped, K&N, Loaded
super-chip@abac.com

Old 03-14-2000, 10:04 AM
ddracing-
I had a hard time deciding between the Big Block (53051 - 50 Series) and the Big Block II (53070 - 70 Series) due to the low level drone at highway speed. I called Flowmaster and they said if that was my concern, to go with the 70 Series, which I did.

Do you get a chance to hear both models? Also, I gather from your post that you didn't need to purchase the Flowmaster heat shield because they were able to fit the muffler under the existing one.

I'm not installing the muffler until this weekend. Any details are greatly appreciated.

------------------

535 Towing package
beige leather
captain's chairs
6 CD Changer
Ford Bug Deflector
Superchip

Old 03-14-2000, 02:50 PM
OK ya'll (a little Southern lingo there), help me out with the diminsions of the 70 series. What is the length of the muffler itself and what is the diameter of the inlet and outlet. Is it 2 1/2 inches or 2 3/4 inches and is the diameter the inside diameter or outside diameter?

Old 03-14-2000, 03:21 PM
TPaw-
The Flowmaster 70 series comes in both 2&1/2" diameter (#52570), and 2&3/4" diameter (#53070). My 2K Expy took #53070.
Hope to get it installed this weekend.

For the tech specs on 70 series, try this URL: http://www.lamuffler.com/webhtml/70spec.htm

This site is for a Louisiana muffler shop that has the specs on the entire line of Flowmater mufflers.

The best price I found was $90 for the muffler. The list from Flowmaster is $132.

------------------

535 Towing package
beige leather
captain's chairs
6 CD Changer
Ford Bug Deflector
Superchip

Quick Reply: Gibson Cat-Back on Expy???