Expedition / Navigator

Any supercharged Expy owners?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2000, 06:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Any supercharged Expy owners?

Hey to all, I was wondering if anyone out there had a supercharger intalled? I am planning on making that make this spring. I considering the Kenne Belle, Magnason, or maybe even a Vortech, but I would like to hear from anyone with suggestion, results, or complaints with their setup?

Thanks to all!

------------------
'98 5.4 EB Expy
Gibson catback
IPD Rear swaybar
Bilstein Shocks
Hood Guard
Manik Grill Guard
PIAA Foglights
Stull Billet Grill and Bumper

"Its so big... It's gotta be blown!"

Old 03-12-2000, 11:27 PM
I just ordered the kenne bell supercharger a couple days ago. The reason I chose the kenne bell is because of the good low end power they claim to have. I want something I can feel in daily driving and towing not when I am only racing. Their kit also seems to be more compleate than some others because they offer their own custom chip and boost a pump for added fuel delivery. The choice is up to you, but for a little extra money I would go with the kenne bell.

------------------
97 expedition 4x4-3.55Ls 5.4 leather cd changer husky floormats 17" eagle alloys-Painted "starboard" running boards-Custom Wet Okole seat covers with "Expedition" logos-egr painted fender flares-painted ventvisors-bug deflector- 10% window tint-chrome warn brushgaurd with xd9000i winch-Ion driving lights- dual 4" chrome tips with flowmaster 40 series-Jba headers-K&N gen II-Superchip-3x10 inch Mtx blue thunder subs-1x12 inch mtx blue thunder sub-Rockford fosgate 1100 watt amp-2 Alpine 500 watt amps-Panasonic day/night reciever-4 polk 5x7 speakers-2 pioneer truck box speakers-3 12 inch neon blue tubes under all seats...and much more

Old 03-13-2000, 12:47 AM
Talking

Slick X,

Let us know what you think of the kit, installation time/difficulty, etc. I have yet to install a blower on an Expy, but have done a number of installs on Mustangs/F-150s...only one KB, though.

I sincerely hope that the KB blower comes with a bypass valve. That is one item that they used to really drop the ball on. You need one due to the very high air-charge temps that blower creates.

I agree with you in theory regarding the low-end torque increase from the positive displacement blower. However, I have yet to have any problems with numerous Vortech installs on vehicles ranging from daily commuters to more race-oriented machines. Instant full boost is great, but "efficient" boost is more important. Either one setup correctly should put a smile on the owner's face.

The boost-a-pump thing is inferior to a quality in-tank pump of proper size or an inline pump. Spiking voltage to a fuel pump that was designed to operate at a lower voltage level will only shorten its life substantially in many cases...and the boost a pump spikes the voltage---that's how it gets a fuel supply increase from the stock pump. Nice in theory, and its easy to install to boot, but in reality I've seen a few problems with it. Just a heads-up on that for future reference.

As far as the chip goes, I will _assume_ that on all these EEC-V equipped vehicles the blower manufacturers are supplying chips. I know Vortech does for all their late model (96+) Ford vehicles.

Anyway, please give us your impressions. Sounds like a fun project, and I am seriously considering getting an Expy, so I look forward to hearing a report from you. Can I assume you're going to install it yourself?

Have a good one,

------------------
Wes Tarbox
90 LX 5.0 (10.69 @ 134.7)
96 Cobra (12.63 @ 114.5)
97 SHO
99 Lightning (13.20 @ 103.3)
http://members.aol.com/Wa2fsT/index.html

Old 03-13-2000, 07:01 AM
Slick X,

I noticed that you have a Superchip already install. What will you do with it after install of the Optimizer? Also what gains did you get with the JBA headers? I want to do similar setup but I don't want to add anything that doesn't gain much? Are you installing it yourself. I would like to but I am not very mechanically inclined, especially with engines.

Wes, I believe that the KB has a bypass valve with its system but am not sure as of yet. I'll let you know.

By the way, had there been any thought to the Magnason system w/ a intercooler?

Thanks Guys!!

------------------
'98 5.4 EB Expy
Gibson catback
IPD Rear swaybar
Bilstein Shocks
Hood Guard
Manik Grill Guard
PIAA Foglights
Stull Billet Grill and Bumper

"Its so big... It's gotta be blown!"

Old 03-13-2000, 08:46 PM
Way2Big, the kenne bell kit does include a bypass valve which will hopefully bring those air temps down some. As far as the superchip goes I will probably sell it or may get it reprogramed to see how it compares to the optimizer. The jba headers helped a fair amount above 2000 rpms but below that I will have to say I lost some low end torque. Hopefully the kit will bring some of that much wanted torque back. I need all the low end power I can get for towing and daily driving. I hope this helps.

------------------
97 expedition 4x4-3.55Ls 5.4 leather cd changer husky floormats 17" eagle alloys-Painted "starboard" running boards-Custom Wet Okole seat covers with "Expedition" logos-egr painted fender flares-painted ventvisors-bug deflector- 10% window tint-chrome warn brushgaurd with xd9000i winch-Ion driving lights- dual 4" chrome tips with flowmaster 40 series-Jba headers-K&N gen II-Superchip-3x10 inch Mtx blue thunder subs-1x12 inch mtx blue thunder sub-Rockford fosgate 1100 watt amp-2 Alpine 500 watt amps-Panasonic day/night reciever-4 polk 5x7 speakers-2 pioneer truck box speakers-3 12 inch neon blue tubes under all seats...and much more

Old 03-15-2000, 08:08 PM
Question

Slick X,

What gauges are you planning to have, if any, besides for a boost gauge? I'm not sure if a fuel pressure or trans temp gauge? What do you you think?

Also, I have decided to go with the Vortech V2 "SQ", due to my gearing and Kenny Browns shop within a hour away, if any issues arise.

------------------
'98 Expy
5.4L 3.73
Gibson catback
IPD Rear swaybar
Bilstein Shocks
Hood Guard
Manik Grill and Rear Tail Guards
PIAA Foglights
Stull Billet Grill and Bumper Inserts

Coming Soon...
75mm Edelbrock TB
JBA Ceramic Coated Headers
Vortech V2 SQ Supercharger

Old 03-15-2000, 08:43 PM
Talking

Waytobig

I went with the vortech kit. It came with a fuel management kit and by pass valve. I now have put 6000 miles on the SC with no problems. I had mike do a custom program for the superchip. The chip made a big difference. Over all I am happy but you don’t feel much under 2k but when you hit 2400 and above it kicks in. I am having concerns about warrantee issue after reading all the engine issues. You will love this upgrade!!! The best part the truck drives normal no check engine-bucking etc.
Oh on the bypass valve you have to get it. The other day I was doing 85-90 on the interstate and came to a grade downhill I could feel the blower trying to open the throttle.

Don

------------------
1999 EB X 5.9 4.1 gears, Borla catback, Vortech supercharger,superchip

Old 03-16-2000, 08:42 AM
rdsii,

Do you have any gauges for the blower? Also did you install it yourself? If so how hard and long did it take you? Any plans for headers? I take it the 4.10 gears did not help with shortening the boost lag. Have you heard anything about Edelbrocks 75mm TB?

Any pics of the blowers in your trucks?

Thanks!

------------------
'98 Expy
5.4L 3.73
Gibson catback
IPD Rear swaybar
Bilstein Shocks
Hood Guard
Manik Grill and Rear Tail Guards
PIAA Foglights
Stull Billet Grill and Bumper Inserts

Coming Soon...

75mm Edelbrock TB
JBA Ceramic Coated Headers
Vortech V2 SQ Supercharger
Superchip w/above modifications applied

"Its Sooo Big...Shes Gotta to be Blown!"

Quick Reply: Any supercharged Expy owners?