Expedition / Navigator

Dual Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2000, 09:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Dual Exhaust

I have a gibson single exit exhaust kit on my 97 expedition. I am not happy with the sound. I had a dodge with the dual exhaust and it sounded great. My lightning has a bassani exhaust, and thta sounds AWESOME!!!

My question is can does anyone know where I can get a dual catback kit for the expedtion?? Will the ford pickup kit work??

Old 03-20-2000, 01:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For about 1/2 the cost of the name-brand systems, you can get true duals from a local muffler shop. Everything is still "cat-back", so there should be no problems with emissions laws.

To answer your question, sound is really a function of the muffler(s), not the number of pipes. A kit for a short-bed, regular cab F150 might work, but I have my doubts that it would work without modification. There are a lot of differences between the pickup and SUV undersides.

------------------
1997 4x4 Expedition- 4.6L, true dual exhaust w/glass-packs, K&N air filter, SuperChip, airbox mods, Edelbrock shocks, 285/75R16 BFG ATs, 2000 "XLT" wheels, 4.10 gears, Auburn LS, Clarion In-dash CD player, Smitty Bilt push bars and nerf bars.

2000 4x2 F150 XLT Reg. Cab LWB- 5.4L, Tow Pkg, 3.55LS, CD player,Remote Keyless Entry, Sliding back glass, Special Appearance Pkg., tinted windows, Line-X bedliner, and Prime #155 wheels.

http://members.visualcities.com/NoMo

Old 03-20-2000, 02:27 PM
The3 problem is most of the shops around here will not do custom exhaust...to time consuming and they do not want to get it trouble with noise laws!!
I already went down that road...

Old 03-20-2000, 03:23 PM
SVT/EXPE OWNER, I take it that it's not loud enough for you right? What size tail pipe you using? Just to clear my curiosity.

I know everone has there own oppinion about sound, but when I put my Magnaflow on, the muffler shop said he put a Gibson on a Suburban, and that person said he hated the sound(meaning it was too quiet). But did yours perform after you put the Gibson on?

Old 03-24-2000, 01:10 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Dear SVT/ExpeditionOwner,

Actually, you would be hard-pressed to have just about any exhaust change add more actual *power* than that Gibson system, though of course I understand your desire for more sound.

You have to be very careful going to a true dual setup in most of these modern vehicles today (not including the Lightning of course, as it is supercharged), as they very often slow down the actual velocity of the spent exhaust gases to the point of reduced scavenging effect, and hence you lose low end torque, something you don't want to do on a heavy vehicle even if you aren't towing. You'll end up shifting the power band a bit, giving up low-end torque for a bit more high-rpm horsepower. Great for the drag strip, but not so great for the street, unless you have a very high-power heavily modified vehicle, or something like your awesome Lightning.

This is something that has changed over the years since a lot of us grew up. When I was growing up, the very first thing you did on any V-8 engine was to put on a set of duals, and you always got a nice power gain throughout the entire rpm range, generally speaking. But this was because exhaust pipe diameter from the factory was a lot smaller back then, usually not more than 1.5 - 1.75 inches. Today's vehicles tend to have 2.5" factory diameter tubing, so going to dual 2.5" can cause you to lose low-end torque in many cases, we hear this all the time.

Some guys really looking for "tone" will completely eliminate the muffler(s), and just run straight pipes from the catalytic converter(s) on back, using the cats as mufflers. This sounds very nice in a lot of instances, though it's a question of whether or not you can live with the noise level inside the cabin, and whether or not it "drones" inside the cabin at cruising speeds.

We always recommend using a good name-brand cat-back system simply because they are properly flow engineered to prevent shifting the power band unless that is what you want, which is why a lot of the manufacturers like Gibson offer different systems for the same vehicle, depending on your application.

Gibson systems tend to be faily quiet on light throttle, and bark nicely when you stand on the gas. They are generally designed to allow you to not have a loud exhaust tone all the time, as most people don't want that, but that of course does not apply to *everyone*!

I unfortunately cannot tell you if anyone actually makes a true dual cat-back system for that vehicle, I doubt it. YOu might try talking to Jardine, they have a web site at www.jardineproducts.com I do not have a phone nubmer for them, sorry. They doa lot of big truck exhaust systems, and they make cat-backs for most of these FoMoCo trucks & SUV's too, I believe. They are one of, if not the very best exhaust manufacturer in this country, and know more about exhaust opluse & phasing than anyone else I have ever dealt with.

Sorry I'm not really much actual help to you on this, I just thought I'd offer a little perspective.

Best of luck getting your Expy to sound like you want,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Online Superchip ordering system:https://www.f150online.com/scpp/index.html

Old 03-24-2000, 03:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can reach Jardine at the following:

Jardine Products

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1220 West Railroad Street
Corona, CA 91720
909.371.1623 (fax)

------------------
2000 Wedgewood Blue Expy XLT 5.4L

535 Towing package
comfort\convenience group
beige leather
captain's chairs
6 CD Changer
Ford Bug Deflector
Superchip - installed 3/11/2000