Expedition / Navigator

Expy Vibrating @ 75 Mph?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2000, 07:18 PM
Location: Beautiful Fort Worth in the Great State of Texas which is part of The Best Country on this Planet Earth, The U.S.A.!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Expy Vibrating @ 75 Mph?

Hello All,

Took the wifes 2000 Expy out last weekend and noticed a vibration that starts at about 72~73 Mph and continues throug about 77~78 Mph with the worst of it being right at 75 Mph.
I have read about something similar to this on the new Mustang Cobras but not on an Expy.
It is a 5.4L 4X2 XLT
I checked the wheels and all of the weights are still there and I crawled underneath to check the driveshaft for any weights that may have come off but everything looks normal.
Just wanted to see if anybody has had a similar problem before going to the dealer.
Thanks!

------------------
Roger In DFW. Home of the 1999 Stanley Cup Champion ****Dallas Stars****
99 F-150 Sport XL Bright Red, 50 Series Flowmaster, Lower front valance painted to match truck!
99.5 L Wheels And Michelin Pilots 285/55/18

Old 02-11-2000, 09:50 AM
Is it a vibration or more like a vibration and booming sound. Like a very low frequency BOOOOOOOOOOM? If so I may have the answer. My truck started doing it at 7K miles. It took a different drive shaft and a vibration damper on the rear axle to fix it. It still does it a little at 72MPH.

------------------
99 EB Expedition with all the perks, Rhino Step Bar, Ford Bug Shield,More to come...

Old 02-13-2000, 02:32 PM
I just started to have a similar problem and I though it was all the suspension crap that I had done and something was not tight etc.. Well, it was my rotors that were loose. I always took the wheels off to check the suspension.. but then I had the wheels on and checked for movement and that was it. With the truck on the ground I also shook it back and forth and could hear a thunk because I though it was a suspension prob that I was hearing too. I would never had though it would be loose with only 15,000 miles on it. Tightened it up and no more probs.

------------------
99 Expedition 2wd 5.4L, Silver w/Dark Grey Int, Billet Grill, Door sills, pedals, brake cover, ant, wiper covers, fender badges, rear view mirror. Shaved roof rack & tail gate, fog light bumper color matched. Clear front corners, WMS intake, directional mirrors. Front and Rear Airbag suspension with 4 wheel
independent control, 20in CEC's w 295-40-zr20, Alpine CVA 1005, 12 disc changer, Alpine speakers, subs, amps. Alpine 8081 alarm w/pager and remote start.

Old 02-23-2000, 10:12 PM
B777, my Expy with less than 500 miles is also doing exactly the same as yours. I was going to wait and see if anyone else had the problem. The wife will have it checked out on Friday. I hate to take it to Ford and let them experiment on it. Let me know if you come up with something sooner.

Old 05-20-2000, 06:08 PM
MNL
Question

I was just wondering if anyone found the cause of this vibration. I have a 2000 with a slight vibration between 70-80 MPH. I'm planing on taking it in for the usual checks,but I suspect that the dealer won't find a thing. I would like to here some opinions on the general tires that ford is using. I've driven several X's in the past with very smooth rides,but none of them had generals.

Old 05-22-2000, 04:20 PM
Location: Beautiful Fort Worth in the Great State of Texas which is part of The Best Country on this Planet Earth, The U.S.A.!

Hello All,

Expybob,
It is a vibration that can only be felt. Alot of times vibrations can be heard also but this one can only be felt in your butt and some on the wheel.

Frog & Mnl,
It does have the Generals.
I took it in to my dealer last month (Oil change) and asked the service writer about this. I asked him if it was possible that the driveshaft was out of balance and he said no.

Listen to the reasoning he gave as to why the drive shaft could not be the problem,
He said, And I quote "The drive shaft turns at the same speed no matter if you are going 10 Mph or 80 Mph so it would vibrate all the time if this was a problem."
After hearing this I grabbed my keys and left.
I had always thought that the service writers were experienced mechanics, thats why they got the cake job of being in the A/C and wearing clean clothes?
I guess not!!
Anyway, The vibration comes and goes now with 4K on the truck. Sometimes it will do it and sometimes it is so faint that you can barely feel it.

P.S. As I was leaving after the oil change I happen to look at the paperwork that they used to check everything with, and for the tires they wrote 35 PSI F&R!
I stopped in their parking lot, turned around and went back to the writer that initially wrote up the oil change and showed this to him,he said,And I quote "So?"
I took him outside and showed him the FORD placard on the B Pillar and pointed out to him that Ford recommends 26 PSI front and 28 PSI rear for this truck.
He assured me that the tires could hold 35 PSI as this is what it said on the sidewall of the tire.
So I get out my pressure gauge and proceed to let the air out of all 4 tires until I reached the proper pressure and then drove away as he just stood their with a stupid smile on his face.
And this is at 5 star Ford in North Richland Hills TX. One of the biggest if not the biggest dealer in Fort Worth!!

Good help is hard to find!!

------------------
Roger In DFW. Home of the 1999 Stanley Cup Champion ****Dallas Stars****
99 F-150 Sport XL Bright Red, 50 Series Flowmaster, Lower front valance painted to match truck!
99.5 L Wheels And Michelin Pilots 285/55/18

Old 05-22-2000, 09:06 PM
MNL
B777

Thanks for the post and sorry to here about your dealer. As soon as I get a chance, I have to take the X in for some minor factory discrepancies. I will ask to have the tires checked for balance. I'm still not sure if I have a problem. The vibration that i'm experiencing can only be felt through the steering wheel. I can only describe it as excessive road feel.

Quick Reply: Expy Vibrating @ 75 Mph?