Expedition / Navigator

Autolocking system?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2000, 08:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Autolocking system?

I was wondering if there was any way to disengage the autolock system?(the one that locks the doors when you start driving) I find that to be a real pain in the ****. If any one knows how to do this or has done this input is very welcome. Also if you have done it, what are the side effects (if any?)

Thanks!!

Old 06-06-2000, 12:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The following is from the Expedition web site ( www.xpedition.net ):

AUTOLOCKING FEATURE
Here's the explanation on how to enable the autolocking feature on your Expedition... A little known feature of 1997 Ford Expeditions. This information is not available in the Owners Guide dated June 1996.

AUTOLOCK/RELOCK DOOR LOCKING

Most, if not all, vehicles are delivered with this feature disabled. Additionally, every time the battery is disconnected, the feature must be re-enabled.

IGNITION SWITCH POSITIONS ARE "ACC LOCK OFF RUN START"

If the ignition switch is in RUN or ACC position and the AUTOLOCK feature is enabled, ALL doors will automatically lock each time the vehicle is started, the shift lever is moved into and out of reverse and the doors are closed when the driver releases brake pedal. "Doors" includes rear lift gate and glass.

If a door is opened and closed, door will automatically relock when the brake pedal is released if ignition switch is in the RUN or ACC position.

The doors may not lock if car is shifted rapidly into gear after starting the engine.

THESE ARE THE PROGRAMMING STEPS TO ENABLE (DISABLE):

Close all the doors.
Confirm ignition switch is in the OFF position.
STEPS 3 through 7 must be performed within 30 seconds.
Turn ignition switch from OFF to RUN.
Press power door lock (on the door) UNLOCK button 3 times.
Turn ignition switch from RUN to OFF.
Press power door lock (on the door) UNLOCK button 3 times.
Turn ignition switch from OFF to RUN.
Press LOCK button on the keyless entry remote - if all is correct the horn should chirp.
Press power door lock (on the door) UNLOCK button 1 time to turn the feature OFF.
Press power door lock (on the door) LOCK button 1 time to enter the command.
Press LOCK button on the keyless entry remote - chirp followed by a longer honk means the system is enabled, a chirp alone means the system is disabled - return to step 9 to change the setting.
Turn ignition switch OFF to exit.
Press LOCK button on the keyless entry remote to verify - Chirp = disabled Chirp & honk = enabled
IF THIS METHOD DOES NOT WORK TRY THE ALTERNATE METHOD
After step 7, skip step 8, follow step 9 (even though you want to enable the feature) and followed by step 10. That's it. After 10, long horn should sound.

IF BATTERY DISCONNECTED FEATURE MUST BE REPROGRAMMED Extracted from 1997 Expedition Workshop Manual, Sect. 501-14B, pages 3-4 These instructions should be carried with your owners manual as most dealership service personnel do not know they exist.
Info courtesy Cal Yelton

Old 06-06-2000, 01:42 AM
check the owners manual, I did mine when I got the truck, and do not remember how. But I know I saw it there.

------------------
1999 4.6 Extra Cab-Short Bed
Silver Clear Coat Metalic
K&N Airfilter
17 Inch 2000 Chrome 4X4 Wheels Wrapped in 275/60/17 ZR Yokahama AVS
White-Faced Luminescent Gauges
Flowmaster 3 inch Cat Back 40 Series Exhaust
3.5 Inch Polished Thermal Research Exhaust Tip
Clear Corner Lenses
Super White Headlight and Turn Signals
Trends Billet Antenna
Stull Billet Grill
e-mail SILVERFORDF150@AOL.COM

Old 06-06-2000, 04:46 PM
Auto lock is much easier to enable/disable using the keyless touchpad (if so equipped)than using the power lock /ignition switch procedure. Follow the owner's manual procedure under "autolock". I believe you enter your factory code, hold down one key (I think the 3/4) and press and release another key (I think the 5/6 or 9/0).

I have an explorer and SuperCrew and have disabled this on both. It makes life easier especially when getting in and out frequently, such as when connecting a trailer by yourself, to have it disabled.

Old 06-06-2000, 07:30 PM
Talking

nomo, Fordtrk, and cpafay...
Thank you very much for the quick responce and your help!! I disabled that stupid autolock 2 minutes ago - took 2 seconds.
Thanks again!

Old 06-07-2000, 05:05 PM
Question

What's the problem with autolock? Both my 98 F150 and 00 Expy have it enabled. I can still open the front doors with just the inside handle, without unlocking them first. The rear doors on the Expy don't do that, but I wouldn't want them to if I had little kids.

Rick

Old 06-08-2000, 07:28 PM
Smile

I just find it to be anyoing - When I load my trailer or other things up, I constantly have to go to the front door to unlock it. Plus I've been locked out once at the track in the rain - not fun - took a locksmith 2hrs to unlock the thing (thank god for enclosed trailers!!). Plus my wife got locked out once - You step on the brake then release it, and it locks the doors. Anyway -it's just anyoing to me...

Quick Reply: Autolocking system?