Expedition / Navigator

Rear shocks for 4X2 with rear air suspension??

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2000, 02:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Rear shocks for 4X2 with rear air suspension??

Hello to all. I am still learning about my new (old) 97 Expy with the rear air suspension. Please see the post below from BluOvalOK. He says that he added shocks to his Expy with the air suspension. Can anyone tell me how can this be? I need to crawl under my truck again and take another look. Maybe there are shock mounts from the standard spring suspension that can be used to add a pair of regular shocks. When I looked at the rear air suspension units, it looks like the shock and air spring are combined into one integrated unit---so I dont see BluOvalOK did it on his truck. Can anyone shed some light on this for me?? Any comments will be much appreciated.

I want to install some new shocks to help calm down the bouncing a little.

I just got my Expy 1 week ago, so I am still learning about it. But this board is fantastic.

Thanks,

Brian

BluOvalOK
posted 06-21-2000 02:32 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have the Air-suspension in my Expy, installed the Rancho 5000 about a month ago. So (yes) you can put aftermarket shocks on with the air-ride /leveling suspension.

[This message has been edited by Brian97XP (edited 07-14-2000).]

Old 07-14-2000, 07:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brian97XP-
My 2000 Expy does NOT have LLS, and I've upgraded my shocks. As far as I know (not 100%), aftermarket units are not available for Expys with LLS. I've been on this board for a few months now, and there's been no mention of any product for this upgrade\replacement. Unfortunately, your only choice may be the dealership.

Wish I had better news...

WELCOME TO THE BOARD!

------------------
2000 Wedgewood Blue Expy XLT 5.4L 4WD, C&C group, towing package, beige leather interior, captain's chairs, 6 CD Changer, 255/70R16, all-weather floor mats

MODS
Ford Bug Deflector (2/15/00), Superchip (3/11/00), Airaid (3/23/00), Edelbrock IAS shocks (3/23/00), Jardine cat-back exhaust (4/6/00), Under Seat Locking Storage Drawer (6/6/00), MPC Rear Air Foil (7/2/00)

Old 07-15-2000, 10:07 PM
Hey Brian-

I'll be the first to admit I dont know how they (4 wheel parts) did it. You are more than welcome to call one of them and ask.

(405)946-3509. Or visit their web page, I think it is 4wheelparts.com, as far as the air springs you said I dont know what you mean. Under my X it looks like std. spring with shock going through the center. And the Load leveling is a bladder type chamber just adjacent to the springs. Its been awhile since Ive looked under but thats what I remember seeing.

Hope this helps- If you have any more questions e-mail me I will be glad to try and answer your questions.

Old 07-16-2000, 07:40 PM
To BluOvalOK:

Thanks for your comments and info.

I think you might have an aftermarket air suspension. In my 97 (and the others I have seen with the factory air suspension), there is no "bladder type chamber just adjacent to the springs". The air suspension unit appears to be a sealed unit containing both the air spring and the shock unit (there is no coil spring to see at all---it looks sorta like a big fat air shock).

The standard rear suspension has both a coil spring and a shock, and I think that is what you are seeing. The air bladder you are seeing sounds like it is an aftermarket system that is in addition to your standard coil and shock (but I could be wrong, just reporting what I have seen while crawling under the rear ends of expeditions while searching for one to buy).

[This message has been edited by Brian97XP (edited 07-16-2000).]

Old 07-17-2000, 02:54 AM
On the 99 with LLS there are conventional shocks on the rear axle mounted just in front of the air springs. Only on the front (with the four corner LLS) there are air shocks, and torsion springs take most of the load. I doubt the 97 is different, next time look in front of the axle you'll probably see the seperate shocks.

------------------
'99 EB Expy 4x4, 5.4L, 3.73LS w/tow pkg, Ox White, 4WAS Air Suspended
Stock except for: Auxiliary Battery, Re-located CD Player

Old 07-17-2000, 09:11 PM
Hey Brian

I am pretty sure its not an aftermarket system, because of the switch to turn off the air suspension on the passenger side kick panel and on the gas tank it says air suspension. I can clearly see the shocks when I crawl underneath the vehicle. I will try to take some pictures of it when I can. I hope I'm not confusing the hell out of you.

Old 07-17-2000, 10:07 PM
OK Thanks Guys, you have given me new hope. I will go check mine again---maybe I missed the conventional shock in front of the air spring unit.

I will let you know what I see.

Also, is there a way to get the email addresses of persons that post on this board? When I checked the profiles on a couple people, it said the email address was not available. It even said that my own address was not available (but I think I checked the box to permits folks to email me directly??).

Brian

Old 07-18-2000, 04:50 PM
Thumbs up

YES--YES--!!! The standard rear shocks are there, in front of the air spring units (I feel like an idiot for not seeing them in the first place). Thanks for clearing that up for me (I think I better order that factory service manual).

I am very happy about that. Now I am looking forward to improving (hopefully) my handling and ride by putting in some nice shocks and maybe the Hellwig swaybar.

Thanks

Old 07-19-2000, 09:14 PM
Good deal-

I was begining to think I was seeing things. About the email I too had my box checked and yet my email shows blank, maybe the webmaster can help clear it up for us. I am thinking of the Helwig sway bar myself, let me know what you think of it.

Old 09-08-2003, 11:07 AM
tog
so a 97 4x4 with four corner lls actually does have shocks? can they substitute for when the air compressor finally dies, and i just dont fix it? just put some good shocks in there and it should be ok?

Quick Reply: Rear shocks for 4X2 with rear air suspension??