Expedition / Navigator

need input on tires and wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2000, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post need input on tires and wheels

Well It's time to do the wheel and tire upgrade! First my challenges
1. I currently have 17” wheels and would like to keep the same tire dia of 31” . Due to all the fun I had to get my spedo recal after the 4.1 gears
2. I don’t want the low rider look or lift.
3. I tow a 7100 lbs camping trailer.

Any input would be great!!

Thanks

I just installed the edelbrock ISA and Hellwing sway bar what a difference in body roll none

------------------
1999 EB X 5.9 4.1 gears, Borla catback, Vortech supercharger,superchip

Old 08-12-2000, 04:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are willing to go to 16" rims, you'll have a lot more brands/styles to choose from. Migh try a 265 in a 70 or 75 series.

------------------
1997 4x4 Expedition- 4.6L, true dual exhaust w/glass-packs, K&N air filter, SuperChip, airbox mods, Edelbrock shocks, 285/75R16 BFG ATs, 2000 "XLT" wheels, 4.10 gears, Auburn LS, Clarion In-dash CD player, Smitty Bilt push bars and nerf bars.

2000 4x2 F150 XLT Reg. Cab LWB- 5.4L, Tow Pkg, 3.55LS, CD player,Remote Keyless Entry, Sliding back glass, Special Appearance Pkg., tinted windows, Line-X bedliner, K&N air filter, SuperChip, airbox mods, 285/60R16 Goodyear Eagle GT IIs and Prime #155 wheels.

http://members.visualcities.com/NoMo

Old 08-14-2000, 05:45 AM
rdsii,
How much of a problem was it getting your computer fixed for the 4.10 gears? I'm looking at doing the same thing to my 99 and superchips said they can fix the speedo and shifts, but I've seen some old posts where there were problems. How did you fix it?
Thanks in Advance

------------------
99 Expedition 4.6
94 Impala SS- 383ci LT1
Best run so far 12.57@109MPH NA!

Old 08-15-2000, 06:49 PM
Unhappy

rdsii, do you have a two wheel drive or other? I've been looking in doing the wheel change too, but the money's going into the house right now.

I love the shock and swaybar combo also.

------------------
99 Expedition XLT
5.4L
4X4
3.73LS
17"AT/S
Airaid Intake
Superchip
Custom Edlebrock shocks
Dynomax Super Turbo 3"
Helwig Sway Arm
Polk speakers

Old 08-17-2000, 10:07 PM
Exclamation

PullsmySS and hdlouie

PullsmySS well I had a 1995 corvette with the LT1 and if only the X could as easy as GM with gear changes. Just plug in the gear range with your old power programer and that’s it!! Or got to the dealer and they will do it with no BS.

Ok to try to answer both ?? at the same time!!

My X is a 4x4 that came with 3.55 gears. My goal was to improve towing with my 7100 lbs trailer. As we all know the X can come with 3.75 and have a tow rating of 7900. But if you have the 17 wheels this is reduced by another 500 lbs. Issues:
 Ford seems like they do not want to support this process. “Unlike GM I know this is a ford form but this is what I see”. I had a hard time finding a dealer to do this.
 This should not be an issue now but I had to wait for updated software from for to do this operation. I think it is the nov. update.
 This is a reflash update to your computer so you may have issues with your superchip. Mike T can help you out with this.
 The process is hokey and not clear so be sure your dealer has done it before or you will be like me going 4 times and the last time I did the update myself. WOW!!!

Ok let talk about the options for provides. Rear ratios did go up to 4.1, but would not except that value. Why you may ask well ford did not offer 4.1 in the X so I took the 3.73 option. Next parameter was transfer case ratio. Good news the computer will automatically figure that one out after you chose the right option 2WD 4WD auto 4wd. Last parameter was tire rev per mile. Well not and easy one but you can figure this out!! But I chose 3.73 so I will have to trick the computer. I put in the number and 60 seconds later my computer was reprogrammed.. WOW are we having fun yet!!
Yes I tried the recal spedo kits no go. Auto 4wd had a bird and 4x4 light was flashing. Oh some one else clamed there was a wire you grounded and did the reprogram thru the odometer. Never found it. The extra power from the gear swap is well worth it but the reprogramming was a nightmare. My advice is who ever does it make sure the can do the program. When you look at other solution remember all the things that need to know how fast your going. Trans, spedo, odo, Air bag, ABS Auto 4x4, engine. You must ask after you install this the other device is the device providing the necessary information to all the other systems.
Now you know why I want to upgrade my tires in Wheels to the same OD as present.

------------------
1999 EB X 5.9 4.1 gears, Borla catback, Vortech supercharger,superchip

Quick Reply: need input on tires and wheels