Expedition / Navigator

Expy Sub Woofer and audio

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2000, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Expy Sub Woofer and audio

Any one install an MTX sub in the rear pocket http://www.mtxaudio.com/caraudio/expedite.cfm or the Clarion Camouflage http://www.clarionmultimedia.com/Aud...SU/pswfsu.html

Also, what are people doing for AMP install locations?. I would like to replace my OEM speakers but keep the deck and CD player. Anyone do something like that?

Thanks...Adrian

Old 08-08-2000, 08:16 PM
Adrian-

I changed the OEM speakers in the front doors and rear doors with Infinity Kappa series 5" X 7" and put a JL audio 10" sub in the rear cargo pocket, powered them all with an Alpine Flex 5 amp. Its not Super loud by any means. However, it sounds clean. I checked the MTX subs and was most pleased with the JL audio. If memory serves the MTX needed a lot of power to run it properly and the Flex 5 sub channel is only 150W. Since I only have the one amp I installed it under the front passenger seat. I used the Q-logic custom sub enclosure, it is made of some kind of PVC material, their web site is www.airesearch.com

Hope this helps you

Old 08-10-2000, 12:52 AM
This sounds like the setup I would like to do. Did you leave the stock reciever and CD player/changer?

-Adrian

Old 08-10-2000, 11:50 AM
Yes, I left the OEM head unit and CD changer.

It really does sound clean and clear, the bass dosent BOOM by any means, but thats not what I was after. It really depends on the kind of music you listen to. I listen to a bunch of Jazz, and Classical as well as Alternative. It sounds great for me, just remember its all personal preference.

Old 08-10-2000, 03:20 PM
BluOval, I have a 99 X and how would I hook up that amp to my head unit? The head unit has an internal amp, and is there some kind of adapter you have to use?

------------------
99 Expedition XLT
5.4L
4X4
3.73LS
17"AT/S
Airaid Intake
Superchip
Custom Edlebrock shocks
Dynomax Super Turbo 3"
Helwig Sway Arm
Polk speakers

Old 08-11-2000, 04:58 PM
hdlouie-

Yes ,I believe you have to purchase some sort of kit to wire the amp to the stock head unit, around $50.00. The guy at Alpine told me the OEM amp (which will be disconnected) is around 15-18 Watts per channel. Its located behind the head unit, and we just left it in its original location in case we decide to pull the Alpine.

Hope this helps,
Trey

Old 08-12-2000, 08:31 PM
For the factory radio you'll need a high level to low level converter, depending on which one you purchase they range from cheap to a bit on the high side. The audiocontrol is the best one. I also have an extra Q-logic enclosure for the Expedition with an Alpine ZR sub if anyone is interested, cheap.(E-Mail: SAEZZ@prodigy.net. It also has been sounddeadened a bit more. It definitly pumps (ask Roger) but I needed more SPL so I run 4 10's. If ya need an amp to go along with it I can get you one too.

------------------
99 Expedition 2wd 5.4L, Silver w/Dark Grey Int, Billet Grill (custom chrome insert), Door sills, pedals, brake cover, ant, wiper covers, fender badges, rear view mirror. Shaved roof rack & tail gate, fog light bumper color matched. Clear front corners, WMS intake, directional mirrors. DJM control arms, Toxic shocks, Front and Rear Airbag suspension with 4 wheel independent control, 20in CEC's w 295-40-zr20, Pioneer 7000cd, 9000R main unit, 12 disc changer, TV, VCR, Audiobahn 6.5 Comp Fr/R, 4 Audiobahnsubs, Earthquake Ph-D2. Clifford Avantguard G4, fully Dynamatted from front to rear, Nav tail lights, Phillips HID headlights.

[This message has been edited by Slammed Expy (edited 08-12-2000).]

Old 08-20-2000, 03:03 AM
Question

I am going to keep the factory headunit but want to add an amp. I'm looking at a rockford fosgate amp that has built in high level inputs so that will be taken care of.
My question is what are you guys using as the remote turn on for the amp? Does the factory HU have a power antenna lead?

Old 08-22-2000, 08:28 PM
You can crack the HU open and solder a wire on the board. There is a turn on in there. I'd use a volt meter!! If you are not good at that sort of thing, there's always Ign, or a seperate switch to turn the amp on....

Quick Reply: Expy Sub Woofer and audio