Expedition / Navigator

Premium Care Extended Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2000, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Premium Care Extended Warranty

Does anyone have experience with the pro's and con's of purchasing Ford's Extended Service Plan for 1998 Expeditions? I have to make a purchase decision soon and believe there is considerable selling by dealerships and Ford Motor Company in an effort to recoup dollars lost during the original purchase.

Old 09-06-2000, 08:53 AM
I am looking at one of these myself, and wondered how much had everyone paid for these and if they thought it was worth it. With my 99 5.4 X I have considered it because I want to keep the vehicle but worry about the dreaded piston slap appearing in my truck. The factory warranty has been good to me. They replaced the transmission at 200 miles as it was troublesome from the start. And I also got a new pull handle for the rear hatch - the old one ripped out.

Thanks

------------------
1999 Expedition EB, 4x4, 5.4, LLS, K&N with airbox mod, Lund Interceptor Bug Guard, Hooker 3" Chrome tip, Clear corner lenses, Mobile 1 Synthetic

Old 09-06-2000, 11:09 AM
Here's a link that might help to shed some light...
http://www.fordesp.com/index.htm

I've got the premium and am glad I have it. The 'free' rental comes in handy.

------------------
Model: '99 F150 Lariat Supercab 4x4 SS Mechs: 5.4L, 3.73 Diff (9.75" LSD Rear, 8.8" Front)
ORP: Skid Plates, LT265/70R17 GY Wrang. AT/S
Group III towing: HD Electrical/Cooling, GVWR 6500# (Extra leaf spring).
Stuff: Step Bars, 4W Disc ABS, K&N filter, 0W-30 Series 2k Amsoil @ 8200 miles, Herculiner
Stock Items That Differ Across F150s: Steel Driveshaft, Oil filter bolted to engine w/ drip guard, 4R70W transmission.

Old 09-10-2000, 05:11 PM
My two cents is this: it's like any other insurance policy. You hope you never have to use it but you're sure glad you have it when you need it. My son's car is four years old. We took it to the Ford dealer last week for several small items plus a leaky transmission seal and another tranny problem. What would have been a bill for over $700 dollars cost just the $50 deductible. We paid about $1000 for the policy and it has two more years to go on it.
The trick is: have several items to get fixed at one time so the $50 deduct will cover everything. Somethings we probably would not have fixed outside of warranty such as a cracked electric window bezel (they replaced the whole switch) loose A/C vent registers, etc. But if you need to take it in for a big ticket item, make a long list of all those little things. Also, ask the service man to have it checked out real good while it is there and under warranty. Let them build a big ticket. Who cares. It only costs you $50.

Quick Reply: Premium Care Extended Warranty