Expedition / Navigator

Wind Noise at Front Doors

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2000, 11:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Wind Noise at Front Doors

I've got a 2000 Expy (brand new). Just picked it up last Wednesday. The only thing that's wrong with it is that there is wind noise (buffeting noise) right by my ear at freeway speeds. I've been able to determine that the problem is that the window doesn't seem fully seated in the weatherstripping channel. Has anyone had this issue? Can the dealership adjust the sound out? The other Expy I test drove (wrong color) didn't have that noise, so I assume it's an adjustment.

Please let me know if I should even pursue a dealership service visit to fix this. I don't want to create a new problem by having them tear it apart to adjust the window.

Will I have to end up inserting some more weatherstripping material in the channel to seal the window edge properly?

------------------
2000 Expedition XLT
4.6L AT
K&N Filter
Superchip
Body Color Grill
5-Spoke Alloy Wheels (F150)

[This message has been edited by embinns (edited 10-18-2000).]

Old 10-18-2000, 01:02 PM
Talking

Take it back, that is what you have warranty for. For the amount of money you paid do you really want to put up with the wind noise for as long as you will have it? I don't think so.
There have been some TSBs On Expys for wind noise, don't know if they were for 2000s or not, but you can check, right here on this sight. Good Luck.

------------------
2000 F-150, XLT, SPORT 4X4, BRIGHT RED/DARK GRAPHITE, SUPER CAB,
SHORT BED, 5.4L, AUTO, 3:55LS, TOW PACKAGE, HD COOLING/ELECT, SKID PLATES
SPORT CLOTH SIX WAY POWER CAPTAIN'S CHAIRS, CONSOLE, SINGLE CD,
CRUISE,ESOF,REMOTE KEYLESS, FORD SNAPLESS TONNEAU COVER, FORD BEDLINER,
FORD MOLDED SPLASH GUARDS, FORD BODY COLOR CABSTEPS,
MODS: CATCH ALL FRONT MATS, LUND DEFLECTOR, FORD VENT SHADES,
GIBSON SWEPTSIDE CATBACK,
K&N GENII FIPK,
FORD HITCH COVER

NEXT: SUPERCHIP!!

Old 10-18-2000, 01:57 PM
Turns out there is a TSB for the noise I've got. I printed out the number from the sight and am going to give it to the service advisor when I take it in. Thanks.

Old 10-21-2000, 10:13 AM
emmbinns, where did you find the TSB for the wind noise? I own a 99 XLT and may have excessive wind noise on highway speeds too.

------------------
Metalgear
Sunny California (except when it rains)
99 Expy XLT 5.4L Stock

Old 10-23-2000, 08:52 AM
Here on this web site. The pick is to the left on the screen: "Recalls and TSBs". Go to the "Technical Service Bulletin" area and it's nearly at the bottom of the list for 2000 Expedition.

Old 10-29-2000, 08:10 PM
I just picked up a 2000 expy a few days ago as well and I have the same wind noise problem on the driver's side. it drives me nuts! I will print out the TSB and take it in.

Thanks

Old 11-02-2000, 12:03 AM
I took mine in. They claim they can't locate the related TSB even with the info I gave them. They replaced the weatherstrip channel. I picked it up -- no change. I took it back -- They "adjusted" it again. Seems to be better, but not gone. I think what's happening is that the bottom of the window (when it reaches the fully-closed position) is supposed to "push out" to seal the window against the strip. Mine does that, but I think it goes to far and pushed the weatherstrip out away from the window. My window is so tight against the door that it makes the interior door trim creak too when the window's rolled up. Hard to explain, but I hope you get the idea.

Quick Reply: Wind Noise at Front Doors