Expedition / Navigator

New Expedition questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2000, 10:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New Expedition questions.

I just traded my 97 F-150 for a 2000 EB Expedition.

Just a few questions, what are the things in the "submarine sandwich holder", the round sensor for auto headlights? and the 4 little slots next to it, the same slots are also down under under the temp. controls?

The Air Suspention, does is raise lower the whole vehicle, or just the rear (4x2)?

What should I use on the Leather seats, this is my first leather interor vehicle, and I have 2 small kids (2 & 6mos old)

Where can I find a big flip down video system to add.

Can I add a remote starter? The manuel says one would probably not work, or could cause problems because of the anti theft system ford uses.

Why does the Expy cruise at lower RPM's than my F-150 did? My truck cruised at 65-70 @2-2200 rpm, the Expy cruises at like 1700rpm.

Is there a way to lengthen the delay the lights stay on after shutting the truck off? I live in the country and it would be nice to see my way or more than a few seconds.

Are there any good websites out there just for the Expedition like this one?

Old 10-13-2000, 10:55 AM
Hey bryanw20-

Not familiar with the "submarine sandwich holder". The air suspension adjust the rear to level, unless you have 4 corner leveling.

Flip down video, try alta-mere on N. May Ave, actually a window tint place that does some video systems. or go to airesearch.com, out of Stillwater, they do Q-forms speaker enclosures and video systems as well (however, it fits in the back of the console, not flip down)

My guess on the crusing is your gears in the rear end. I'm not a mechanic so I dont know, somebody here will help you about that.

I've looked into the video entertainment systems myself, just havent decided which I want (console, Flip down)

Hope this helps

Trey

Old 10-13-2000, 03:49 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Join the mail list at www.Xpedition.net

There are a lot of differences between the F150 and Expedition. Even the drivetrain (which appears to be similar) has several small, but important, differences. Back in '99, the Expedition got more HP than the F150 and it has always been a LEV- a status that the F150 has just achieved.

A lot of people use Lexol (sp?) and claim it to be of high quality. Check the "Interior Care" forum here for more opinions & results.

As BlueOvalOK said, only the 4 corner LLS will raise & lower the entire truck.

There are several aftermarket remote starter systems that bypass the PATS security system.

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the autolamps or climate control system. My X isn't that fancy. Thus, no entertainment system info either.

Neal

------------------
1997 4x4 Expedition- 4.6L, true dual exhaust w/glass-packs, K&N air filter, SuperChip, airbox mods, Edelbrock shocks, 285/75R16 BFG ATs, 2000 "XLT" wheels, 4.10 gears, Auburn LS, Clarion In-dash CD player, Smitty Bilt push bars and nerf bars.

2000 4x4 F250 SD XLT SuperCab SWB- 6.8L, Offroad Pkg, Camper Pkg, 4.30LS, Tape & CD player, Remote Keyless Entry, Sliding back glass, tinted windows, 265/75R16 OWL tires.

NoMo's site

Old 10-13-2000, 03:55 PM
Talking

Congrats on the new vehicle. BlueOvalOK is right, the rear end you probably have is the 3.55 gears or lower. I have the 3.73 with 17" tires and cruise 65 @ about 2000rpm.

You can get some ideas for the video system from this online store. Or talk to the person running the store because he installs them. And also has a great setup in his X(forgot his name). Also ask him about the alarm with remote start, I know some people have done this with the pats system.

Also try joining the Xpedition.net site. I just go to these two sites, A lot of informative people in both.

Good Luck

Lou

------------------
99 Expedition XLT
5.4L
4X4
3.73LS
17"AT/S
Airaid Intake
Superchip
Custom Edlebrock shocks
Dynomax Super Turbo 3"
Helwig Sway Arm
Polk speakers

Old 10-13-2000, 03:56 PM
The "Submarine Sandwich Holder" Is the long oval dent in the dash on the passangers side.

I found another site for video systems, one is a 10.4" LCD Screen, but it hangs between the bucket seats. But it's only like $1200.
So to add to the confusion, $1500 was a dealer quote for a console type, but that relocates the CD changer & rear Audio controls.
This site: http://www.salesco.com/tvconsole/
They have a 6.4" LCD screen overhead console that replaces the factory console, with cutouts for AC controls, the pwr qtr switches. etc. it's also $1500
This same site has the 10" TV too.

So let me know if you decide on a system.

Bryan

Old 10-13-2000, 11:09 PM
Hey Bryan,

I will agree with Nomo on the Lexol. There's a nice auto cleaning supply shop here in Dallas which stocks this, but you can order it via the web. I use the cleaner and then the conditioner on all my vehicles with leather. Like you, I have two little ones (5 & 2), so it comes in handy. No problems with premature wrinkling, etc, by using this product.

As far as a video system, I'm sure as has been pointed out that a good high-end A/V shop in your area has some you can look at. I got an XLT intentionally b/c I knew I'd scrap the stock stereo system and also add a video setup. I went with an Audiovox setup, which has a 7" drop-down screen in the center for rear seat viewing. Along with a surround processor with my Alpine CD/stereo, etc. it is killer. Not so top-of-the-line it was outrageously expensive, and it won't win trophies at an audio show, but that's not what I was after. $1200 installed. This comes with a new upper console and only gets rid of one set of rear A/C vents...the center ones.

Ours also has the LLS, and only adjusts the rear ride height.

Ours has 3.55 gears and with 31" tall tires (stock diameter), we cruise at about 1700rpm at 65+, so this is probably the gear you have. Also, your F-150 may very well have had shorter tires, thus increasing rpm/mph.

------------------
Wes Tarbox
90 LX 5.0 (10.69 @ 134.7)--597rwhp/590rwtq
96 Cobra (12.34 @ 115.8)--392rwhp/433rwtq
99 Lightning (13.20 @ 103.8)--364rwhp/444rwtq
00 Expedition XLT 5.4
http://members.aol.com/Wa2fst/index.html

Old 10-14-2000, 03:59 PM
Talking

WA, You said you have kids & leather, what do you put between the carseat and the leather?

I do have the 3.55 rear with 17" tires. I Think my truck was a 3.31 16".

Anyone know what the space is under the center console lid? I almost looks like the size of the 6Cd magazine, but I don't think a mag. will fit.

BluOval I Think my wife has decided on something like that 10" system that hangs between the front seats. Not only is it bigger and cheaper than a drop down system, its portable so we can take it with us on trips (we fly more than drive on long trips)

Bryan

Pics @ http://www.safetybaby.com/jtw/truck.htm

Old 10-15-2000, 01:12 AM
Lightbulb

bryan,

I have the same expy setup as you. 331 gears with 16" wheels. Same rpm at cruise.

The space under the center console lid is for a box of tissue.

Old 10-15-2000, 04:37 PM
Bryan,

Usually I don't put anything between the carseat and the leather. I didn't do this on two previous vehicles my wife had (with leather seats) and it didn't harm the condition of the surface at all. Maybe it depends on the carseat.

------------------
Wes Tarbox
90 LX 5.0 (10.69 @ 134.7)--597rwhp/590rwtq
96 Cobra (12.34 @ 115.8)--392rwhp/433rwtq
99 Lightning (13.20 @ 103.8)--364rwhp/444rwtq
00 Expedition XLT 5.4
http://members.aol.com/Wa2fst/index.html

Old 10-27-2000, 01:49 AM
HP
Cool

This is my 5th vehicle with leather and we've always got kids in the car. Lexol can't be beat, I've used it for years on my show saddles too. It's a good idea to put a piece of flannel or something between your carseat and leather seat, or go to a baby supply store, they have something specific at about $8.00...prolonged carseat/leather seat contact can cause some marring or a crease on your leather seats.

Old 10-27-2000, 06:51 AM
My friends used a towel between the baby car seat and the leather. Leather looks new after 2 years of baby seats.

Lexol is an excellent product. A little goes a very long way, so you really don't need to buy the larger sized bottles. The conditioner isn't the easiest thing to buff off, though. If you don't buff it off, it can be rather sticky for a while.

Not too familiar with the Expi, but the 4 slots (little square grill) is for the autolamp feature. At least, that's what it is for the F-150 and '98 Navigator. It's the light sensor. Cover it with something and turn the autolamp on. Your headlights should come on with the key in the On (Run?) position.

Personally, I don't use the autolamp. I have this fear that it will fail and leave me with a dead battery. The few times I used it, I'd wait for it to turn off instead of going indoors right away. Then there are the people who, with good intentions, remind you that you left your lights on.

Old 10-27-2000, 10:10 AM
There are two sloted holes. One on the top and one on the front of the dash. Somewhere I read this is so (if you have it) the auto climate control can detect air temp and solar load (whether the suns out) I thought the round lens thing on top of the dash was the autolamps.

Old 10-27-2000, 10:24 AM
Also the light delay cannot be changed in 2000. In my 1999 Expy it could be. Mt signature explains where that went.

I found alot of little improvements between the two years. More so than between 97 and 99. I also owned a 97 XLT. I liked them all. It was the best thing my better half ever talked me into.

Good luck with it.

And by the way...I use a Lincoln dealer for service. Its truly a step up when it comes to customer service and satisfaction.

I also had the 3.73 axle in my 97 and 99. The revs are different (lower) but the mileage went up a point or two with the 3.55.

Bob

------------------

The vehicle above is one of many. Try refreshing. It goes by random but the Expy was exactly like mine. Now it's a
2000 EB Expedition 5.4L, Estate Green with all the perks,3.55 LS,Heated and Signal Mirrors and Seats Moon Roof. Auto adjusting peddles,seats, and mirrors. Rhino Step Bar (coming), Ford Bug Shield,Even the hitch propeller, More to come... My 99 Expy was destroyed in a Wisconsin Tornado (No B.S.) Allstate did good by me but I still took a hit on mileage.

[This message has been edited by ExpyBob (edited 10-27-2000).]

Old 11-03-2000, 11:35 PM
Talking

As far as audio/ video, I checked with Audio Midwest in Midwest City, for my Exp. They have a full range of types and kinds of set ups. They are on Reno, near Heritage Park Mall.

Quick Reply: New Expedition questions.