Expedition / Navigator

crossing flood waters or streams damages suspension sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2000, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question crossing flood waters or streams damages suspension sensors?

am not sure if true but heard that never cross your Exped (or F150) over flooded street or water stream with the water level above the lowest tire nuts? they say it has something to do with the suspension sensors. anybody knowleadgeable about this issue? appreciate it.

Old 11-11-2000, 10:01 PM
I think they are referring to the anti-lock sensors. I wouldn't think any sensors down by the wheels would be hurt by water since they get wet big time when you drive through a deep puddle. The main thing is your diffs. They are vented, and water can get into the housing through the vents. You want to change out your diff lube if you ford (pun intended) any streams.

------------------
2000 F150 XLT 4x4 Short Bed. Amazon Green, 5.4L, SuperCab, ORP, Tow Package, Sliding Rear Window, Electronic Shift, Keyless Entry, LT265-70-17 Tires, Clarion Pro Audio, Herculiner Bedliner, Air Silencer Removed.

1994 SVT Mustang Cobra. #1032 of 6009. Black coupe with black leather int., 3.73 rear, Bassani Exhaust, Aluminum D/S, Bridgestone RE-71 255-45-ZR17

My Home Page

Old 11-11-2000, 10:11 PM
hi tks, with yur inputs.
can u elaborate on the diff vents?

just been to your homepage, nice pics!

Old 11-12-2000, 08:24 PM
alex abs sensor is in the rear and optical pickups on the front. I never looked but you should have hoses off the rear axle and front for the vents. this is what my jeep GC 5.9 has. I never 4 wheeled with the X but the jeep is another story.

------------------
1999 EB X 5.9 4.1 gears, Borla catback, Vortech supercharger,superchip

Old 11-13-2000, 01:24 AM
IC. tks a lot.
will research.

Old 11-13-2000, 04:31 PM
Exclamation

Yes the device you are talking about is a Suspension sensor located closer to the driver side rear wheel. Looks like a mini shock absorber about 8" long with connector.It's attached between the axle and the frame (verticaly) I know what device you are looking at and it does seem exposed. Have not heard of any probs though.

------------------
2000 Navigator. Laser Red, Every option. ,FIPK (mods), Superchip, True Duel Flowmaster 50 series. 2X SISO , vented out each side. Rear air deflector, Bug deflector, PIAA, headlights (SUPERWHITE)

Looking at Hitting 400 Hp without a blower. Using in addition, headers and duel CatBack. (If possible)
(Waiting for JBA to develope Headers)

“91” F150 4X4 Shorty “Ultimate Off Road Edition” Borge Warner T18 4 speed, Traction Lock Front and Rear Differentials., Smitty Built Duel Tube Roll Bar, Moog Super Off Road Coil Springs, Factory 2” Lift Rancho RS 9000 Shocks , Stock Front “QUAD SETUP” 33x12.5 (B.F. Goodrich) Mud Terrain Warn Winch Combo Bush Bar with Warn XD9000I Winch. Full Factory Skid Plates. 302 Long Block, K&N FIPK JBA Chrome Headers, Custom Catback using Flowmaster Muffler, Duel out side behind rear wheel.

Old 11-13-2000, 06:09 PM
LaserNav, i looked underneath my unit and i saw what u were referring to. Also, it seems a lot of exposed electrical (side board lights, fog lamps, trailer hook up) and sensor wirings are exposed. they all pretty much are inside flex conduits but exposed at the ends. have u had any experience about waterproofing all those underchassis wirings?

Old 11-14-2000, 09:20 AM
Talking

Sorry I have not considered water proofing them. I think a "Sily Cone" on each end might do it. But looks like a lot of work. It seems that they (FORD) could have done a better job sealing some of these items. Could be that there is no problem the way they are anyway. Then again I would not go into deep water that was over my running boards. Not in a NAV but definitly I would in a EXPY.

------------------
2000 Navigator. Laser Red, Every option. ,K&N FIPK , Superchip, True Duel Flowmaster 50 series. 2X SISO , vented out each side. Rear air deflector, Bug deflector, PIAA, headlights (SUPERWHITE)

Looking at Hitting 400 Hp without a blower. Using in addition, headers and duel CatBack. (If possible)
(Waiting for JBA to develope Headers)

“91” F150 4X4 Shorty “Ultimate Off Road Edition” Borge Warner T18 4 speed, Traction Lock Front and Rear Differentials., Smitty Built Duel Tube Roll Bar, Moog Super Off Road Coil Springs, Factory 2” Lift Rancho RS 9000 Shocks , Stock Front “QUAD SETUP” 33x12.5 (B.F. Goodrich) Mud Terrain Warn Winch Combo Bush Bar with Warn XD9000I Winch. Full Factory Skid Plates. 302 Long Block, K&N FIPK JBA Chrome Headers, Custom Catback using Flowmaster Muffler, Duel out side behind rear wheel.

Quick Reply: crossing flood waters or streams damages suspension sensors?