Expedition / Navigator

Alignment issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Alignment issue?

I've got a 2004 EB 4x4 that I am needing to replacing tires on. I noticed that i'm getting a LOT of wear on insides of the current front tires (nearly bald). The truck has about 90K miles on it.

I asked the dealership to check on the alignment, and they said the alignment is fine. They claim it is simply due to not rotating the tires often enough (guilty :o), and said that it occurs because of the tight turning radius the Expedition has. Can anyone confirm this, or are they feeding me a line? The truck tracks fine on the highway.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:07 PM
If you haven't smacked any curves lately I would say it sounds like you haven't rotated your tires. They can wear like that when you don't rotate them when they need it.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:11 PM
I had the same issue. Turned out to be the ball joints. Jack up the so the tire is free and put a 2x4 underneath and move. My joints were bad at 70k.

Shep

Old 09-26-2009, 10:33 PM
Hmmm, mine is doing the same thing. Almost at the wear bars on the inside of all 4 tires, with plenty left on the outside. Granted, I also haven't rotated my tires in a while. :o But, I don't see how it would help if all 4 of my tires are wearing like that.

Either way, I'll see if I can get them flipped, so at least I'll wear the outsides.

shepster, what do you mean by "move"? I wonder if my ball joints are bad...

Old 10-12-2009, 12:07 AM
Ball joints

Sounds like you have a ball joint problem. I just replaced the upper and lower ball joints on my 1997 Expedition EB 4x4 because i was having a bad tire problem too. 3 1/2 hours later i had new ball joints and problem solved. I would never have guessed its was the ball joints because i had them so full of grease i never had any poping noise like you get on a bad joint.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:22 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
blaming weird tire wear like that on Non-Rotating is ludicrous.

it's either alignment, or the ball joints...or both.

You could probably rotate your tires and see the exact same wear pattern within 1,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Alignment issue?