Expedition / Navigator

Blower mania...let's have fun with this one

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2000, 09:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Blower mania...let's have fun with this one

Ok guys,

This topic hasn't been discussed in awhile. For everyone who's running a blower, please reply with your impressions after having the thing on your truck. Please give details such as service life, maintenance/reliability, and performance.

I'm a big Vortech guy, myself. I've got one on my '90 LX, and I ran one on a '94 Lightning I had at one time. They are great blowers. Outstanding quality and service.

But, a good roots-type blower works well, too, especially in an application like this where you're moving 5500+lbs and you have only 5000+rpms to work with. Just look at the new '99-01 Lightning. It runs awesome.

Anyway, I'm looking at the Vortech, Magnacharger, and Kenne Bell blowers. I don't even know if Paxton makes a NOVI blower for these trucks. Any other blowers out there you guys/gals have looked into?

Hope everyone had a great Turkey Day.

------------------
Wes Tarbox
90 LX 5.0 (10.69 @ 134.7)--597rwhp/590rwtq
96 Cobra (12.34 @ 115.8)--392rwhp/433rwtq
99 Lightning (13.20 @ 103.8)--364rwhp/447rwtq
00 Expedition XLT 5.4
http://members.aol.com/Wa2fst/index.html

Old 11-30-2000, 01:59 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Wes,

If you'd like a little feedback from us, we do custom programs for every blower made for these vehicles, and work directly with most of the major blower manufacturers. My favorite blower for these vehicles is the Magnacharger, which is of course based on the Eaton positive-displacement blower.

Vortech makes a fine blower, absolutely, but if you're going to spend that kind of money, go with the Magnacharger, and have the instant boost & the torque it gives immediately as a result.

We work directly with both Magnuson on this, as well as working directly with Vortech. Both companies make fine products, well worth their cost. For these trucks, I prefer the Magnacharger, though for my Mark 8, I'll probably be going with the Vortech, since Eaton doesn't have a blower kit for the DOHC motor.

Paxton makes a fine blower too, and there are many people with well over 100,000 miles on their Paxton (just as there are people with over 100,000 miles on virtually every major brand of blower made), but their documentation, the quality of their kits, and their Tech Support are sadly lacking. If you don't mind doing "field mods" and figuring things out by yourself, Paxton can be a good choice.

I know you want feedback directly from supercharger owners, but I thought I'd just drop you a quick note to let you know what we see & prefer.

Good luck,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 11-30-2000, 09:01 PM
Thanks Mike. As always I appreciate and respect your opinion and insight.

I agree with your thoughts in theory, if nothing else, b/c of the sheer weight of this vehicle. A centrifugal blower would need to be "pullied-down" pretty good, IMHO, to match the practicality of a good positive displacement blower...on this particular application.

From the manufacturers' documentation it appears that both the Vortech and Magnacharger offer the same RWHP/RWTQ. And the Magnacharger results got a nice 15+rwhp/rwtq boost on top of that from installing a K&N inlet tube/filter kit. I already have that on our Expy, along with one of your own chips.

Now the biggest thing is getting my wife to say "ok". She gives me an evil stare when I've mentioned this in passing. I keep telling her the thing looks like an SVT Thunder...it needs to have some power to match.

PS: I'd definitely do the Vortech S-trim on your MK VIII. For that high-winding 4.6 DOHC motor there is nothing better.

------------------
Wes Tarbox
00 Expedition XLT 5.4

Old 12-02-2000, 01:38 PM
WA2FST......Your "wifes" Expy. is awesome looking. Im trying to talk my wife into letting me put the lightning wheels and front bumper on like yours. I showed her the pics of yours and she liked it. Where did you get the wheels and bumper? Its killing me to put a blower on it also, but we only have 3,200 miles on it! (warranty issues)
Yes, you need to convince the wife yall need the power to go with the looks!!
Im envious!

------------------
2000 EB EXPY
5.4,3.55LS
K&N
*SUPERCHIP*

Old 12-02-2000, 08:16 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Wes,

I hadn't forgotten about the Superchip on the Expy, of course.

I agree with you, and that is exactly why I prefer the Magnucharger for this particular application, due to the vehicle weight the Magnacharger, or at least some type of positive-displacement blower, is the trick, and the key to performance in these vehicles, and especially driveability, is immediate torque on part-throttle.

It seems you & I have both owned vehicles with centrifugal (Vortech & Powerdyne) & Roots-type (Eaton, always!)blowers, and they each have their place, absolutely.

If I had a choice between a Magnacharger kit for my Mark 8, or the Vortech kit adapted from the Cobra that Mark 8 owners are using, I would still prefer to have that instant-torque from the Eaton blower on tap at any throttle position. Torque=smiling driveability. Don't get me wrong, I *love* Vortech's hardware, I've had a couple of Vortech'd Corvettes, enjoyed them thoroughly. And since there isn't an Eaton-based kit available, I know I'll be very happy when I finally get the Vortech on the Mark 8. But if I had the choice of an Eaton unit, it would be wearing the Eaton. Though I have to say, if it weren't for my previous experiences with running Eatons on high rpm motors, I probably wouldn't be so hot on them for the DOHC motor.

In this case, I'm lucky, in that the Vortech and the 4.6 DOHC motor are an excellent match, with the sole exception of lack of boost below 2000 rpm, and not much below 2500. Since 2000 rpm in Overdrive is almost 90 mph, having access to that torque from an Eaton blower at any rpm & throttle position is unmatched.

But I think I'll be *perfectly* happy with the Vortech, he-he.

I must be the only guy I know whose wife said "OK Honey" to the blower months ago, who still hasn't done it yet. There are just so many other things that have to be done first, gotta get the tranny out & shipped over to Art Carr, gotta do a number of things before the blower can go on. Rear main seal plate ****ed on me last summer (those darned DOHC motors tend to do that), so it traps 1 of the 6.3 quarts of oil upon startup, and then keeps it up there for hours after stopping, then does a sudden drain at some point overnight, which doesn't help oil changes much. So, a lot of work to be done in preparation for the blower, and now that winter is here, maybe some of it will finally get done and stop being hyperbole!

I know you've had great experiences with your Vortechs, and I like them too, it's excellent quality hardware, and you get what you pay for, at best in this world. After having both types, you get real hooked on the instant torque, especially when the cost is roughly the same. For most applications, you can get a pretty cheap centrifugal blower like a Powerdyne (yeah, I know) for under $2k, but if you have to spend Vortech money, $3K minimum and more like $3700, then at roughly the same price the Eaton unit is preferable to me for the instant torque.

We've worked with many centrifugal blower owners, and pullying them down, as you say, is certainly a viable technique, we've done that many times on F-150's, Expy's, etc. It works well, use the 9 lb. pulley instead of the 7, the 11 lb. instead of the 9 lb. etc., and under 5500 rpm or so, there isn't too much boost, and it works very nicely.

Best of luck whatever you decide, I'll be lucky to ever get *any* blower on this darned thing! But when I do, you can pretty much rest assured it's going to be the Vortech, in S-trim.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

Old 12-03-2000, 09:06 PM
Hey guys,

Been away for a couple of days. I appreciate the posts on this topic.

Skank Dog, I got the wheels with tires already mounted and balanced from Tire Rack. I had the front bumper done at the dealer where I bought the truck. They also painted the rear bumper to match, so the truck really has a nice monochromatic look now. Updated from the pics there, I have added the color-keyed running boards which replaced the black ones. They look very nice...just haven't had a chance to shoot any pics.

I understand what you mean about warranty issues. My wife really likes this vehicle, so it looks like we'll keep it for quite some time. We've had our truck for 9 months and have 7300 miles on it. It's been great, but I do not want to take it into Ford and have them slap me upside the head by denying a claim.

Mike, instant torque is great I agree, but is not as necessary for a car as it is for a heavier truck. The top-end of an efficient centrifugal seems to really be the better way to go than a positive-displacement "street" blower. In my experience with a number of late model Mustangs, bolting on a Kenne Bell or Instacharger or some other positive displacement blower vs. a centrifugal like Vortech, Paxton NOVI, ATI will mean you run slower. And I've seen enough examples to know it can't be poor tuning. I think the centrifugals that are popular on street cars are just more efficient on the top-end and thus they are faster in racing conditions (at least 1/4 mile drag racing). So, I still think the S-trim Vortech will work wonders for your MK 8. If you want more TQ multiplication, put a set of 3.73s in it. I have those in my Cobra and it will pull hard in 5th gear (overdrive)...not to mention the acceleration improvement in all gears .

rdsii, thank for the compliments on the truck. I'm glad to hear your continuing positive report about the Vortech. I've installed, tuned, and run a number of them on my own vehicles, and installed others as well. It's an outstanding blower. Still, after having a good positive displacement blower work well in a truck application (my '99 Lightning), I can definitely see the need for a blower that is set up to produce more low-end power in a heavy Expedition. Yes mine is 2WD, but I have 3.55s, not 3.73s. Acceleration is decent. But, we hardly ever push it over 4000rpm. I honestly don't believe boost at low rpms is much of an issue as far as engine longevity goes. You're stressing the engine more with full throttle upshifts at 5000rpm under boost, than you are if you get into the boost a little bit at lower rpm. If you don't have your foot planted, you're not in boost obviously.

The warranty issue will probably keep me from doing anything. They're supposed to have to _prove_ that the aftermarket part caused the damage, but if they want to hang you out to dry, they'll do it.

------------------
Wes Tarbox
00 Expedition XLT 5.4

Old 12-04-2000, 12:59 AM
Exclamation

Well we talked in the past about a lot of things. Last item was the lightning wheels. Well I got them from AFS on ebay and sold my old ones on ebay. Cool deal!! The truck looks mean and rides and handles better. BTW your truck looks so cool!!!!
We have discussed my Vortech blower as well. Would have to agree with mike T on the Magnacharger instant boost but your right on the hi-end as well nothing beets the centrifugal blower. I would also agree to stick with Vortech “there support is unreal!!!” or Magnacharger. My only concerns with the Magnacharger are, will the 5.4 stand for boost all the time. I just started seeing oil on my driveway looking into it I see some on the famous passenger side “see engine section looks like another feature for us that survived the piston slap”. But I also saw a large leak where the SC oil supply line goes in the oil filter assembly. So with much effort I was able to try to tighten the hose to realize the installer crossed threaded it. Hard to believe it lasted a year that way but it did. Well I called Vortech and the parts were at my house the next day cost to cost. Well boy did I screw up trying to fix this. I only have small floor jacks due to my sport car side so I put a block of wood on the jack the wood slips out and I took out the rad, trans lines, Trans cooler and fan shroud. Wow what a ****ty night!!!
Wes My X is a 4x4 EB and it looks like yours is a 2wd so I think you are pushing around a lot less weight. Trust me the X will fly with the Vortech in fact once your over 3k it scares me “this is coming from a guy that drive a Porsche C4 on back roads at 100”. A little slow out of the hole may be a good thing!! Less transmission, rear, drive shaft stress. After all physics being physics that is a lot of weight.
FYI the ford dealer dose not see the humor around the blower. Any issue that arises you know the answer. IT MUST BE THE BLOWER!!!
Get the spouse support!!! Learn from the man that did not!! The truck was in for the gear change “she know about that” I made a good hit on some stocks and told the boys what the hell put in a super charger on while it is there!! BUT DID NOT GET APPROVEL!! My brain fart was no one will notice!! Anyone that rides in the truck makes a coment to the speed and power. Lets face it we got a 6k truck powered buy a 333 cu engine. Also what do you tell the her when ford will not warrantee the engine and now it is another 4k for an engine!!
Wes what ever you decide you will not be disappointed. Just let us know!! Now if I can only figure how to update my signature..

------------------
1999 EB X 5.9 4.1 gears, Borla catback, Vortech supercharger,superchip

Old 12-04-2000, 02:28 PM
Former Sponsor
HI Wes,

I'd be the first to agree with you on the Kenne-Bell, in my experience they just do not make the boost levels or power gains claimed in every installation I've seen to date.

And it may well have to do with just what type of driving you want the blower for, and my criteria there is primarily street cruising, with the occasional top-end run, street race, & once in a blue moon trip to the drag strip. There just is no substitute for the instant-on torque of the Eaton for me.

I do not feel that there is an inherent disadvantage to using an Eaton over a Vortech, even at higher rpms (say, up to 6500), though I do agree that an S-Trim Vortech will be a very nice mate for the Mark, no doubt! My last Eaton I ran @ 17 PSI to 6250 rpm routinely with never a hitch or grossly elevated EGT's at rpm.

The bottom line is that any good blower install is going to feel *very* nice.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Quick Reply: Blower mania...let's have fun with this one