Expedition / Navigator

Expi v. Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2000, 08:54 AM
Location: the great stinkin' desert national monument and nuclear waste dump
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face Expi v. Tahoe

Ok, someone help me out here. I am going to commit sacrilege and maybe buy a used chevy tahoe. 8-0

I am seriously looking at a cherry '97 tahoe LS with the 5.7L vortec, 46,000 miles. I took it for a long drive and I really like it. I wasnt looking for a used vehicle but the cost of new is outrageous and this one is in excellent shape and reasonably priced. And comes with a 30-day warranty a rarity around here with used rigs.

I like the nimble feeling, the balance and driveability of the tahoe. I dont get that feeling in the expi--it feels big, heavy and underpowered even with the 5.4L. I have driven the expi some off-road and I didnt get a feeling of confidence with it. I took the tahoe out on a gravel road incline on some blm land. the road is very washboard-y and the tahoe did very well on it. Much better than my jeep.

I love the F150 but I determined I dont have a need for a pickup hence a SUV. See my topic "expi v. F150 v. explorer ". I simply need something bigger than an explorer for my fat butt, long legs and all my stuff. I dont need it to carry kids, just me and the dog and the wife. At this point. I dont tow or haul anything but want the capability.

I drive long trips and off-highway in the mountains on forest service roads and trails. So I need something that will get me in and out.

I need some convincing why I should get an expi.

Pros and cons in my mind for each:

TAHOE:
pros:
Smaller than expi
Shorter than expi
Not as tall as expi (easier to get in and out of)
Not as heavy as expi (slimmer by 500 lbs)
Better driving position
slightly better gas mileage

cons:
its a chevy (but better than a toyota)
older technology body and engine and trans
barn doors in rear
its a chevy
positioning of some controls and things

Expi:
pro's
Its a ford (I come from a "ford family")
newer technology body engine etc
Reported to have better off-road manners than tahoe (edmund's)
very comfortable interior esp the seats
easy to use controls etc

cons:
5.4L seems troublesome
poor gas mileage (a friend has one complains about it, wishes he had his F150 back but he pulls a fishing boat)
very heavy
too tall (hard to get in and out of esp for the short wife)
Wife complains captains chairs too high, her legs dangle when sitting in passenger seat
seems unbalanced, could get tipsy easily
not crazy about the styling (very minor issue)

As I mentioned before I have driven the expi some and yes they are nice but gee they are SOOOOOOOO big! and heavy and feel like it.

Ok, so why should I buy one rather than the tahoe?? someone save me from the bowtie....

--karl

Old 12-09-2000, 03:52 PM
The prevailing argument I see in your post that is repeated over and over is "feels smaller, more nimble vs. feels big, taller, heavier".

If you look at the SUV market, each domestic manufacturer has a bit of a unique position in the full-size SUV arena. The Ford Excursion is the biggest, followed closely by the GMC Suburban, then the Expedition, and then the 4 door Tahoe.

IOW, Expedition does NOT = Tahoe, even though they seem to be in competition with each other...and by all rights they are.

But, for someone like yourself who obviously sees/feels the difference in size and prefers the smaller vehicle, then its a no-brainer. Get the Tahoe.

As for fit and finish, other qualitative items, you be the judge.

------------------
Wes Tarbox
90 LX 5.0 (10.69 @ 134.7)--597rwhp/590rwtq
96 Cobra (12.34 @ 115.8)--392rwhp/433rwtq
99 Lightning (13.20 @ 103.8)--364rwhp/447rwtq
00 Expedition XLT 5.4
http://members.aol.com/Wa2fst/index.html

Old 12-09-2000, 07:20 PM
Wes: Thanks, yes, that is the feeling I get when I drive them.

This morning I drove a slightly used y2k expi with 2700 miles on pretty much the same route as the tahoe. Only real difference was the off-hiway part, took the expi on a 1/2 mile bumpy gravel access road. I pushed it a bit and made it bounce, and it felt very stable.

The expi does have a great interior and seats, better than the tahoe but not by much. Comfort is very good. Quality is just as good if not better.

Driving the expi, yes, it still feels heavy but handles well. Nimble it isnt. It does weigh nearly 3 tons, after all! The engine works very hard to move it, keep it moving and to accelerate. You can really feel that sohc engine working!!!! the brakes are very good better than the tahoe (that I drove).

The 5.7 in the tahoe didnt struggle or seem to work hard to move the big truck or get it up the grade on the fwy. It just quietly did its job.

--karl

Old 12-09-2000, 09:24 PM
karl

Tahoe BRAKES are NG

Otherwise it's up to you. I like the Tahoe seats and on performance it's the 3.73 rears and the 5.7 torque at 1000 rpm's in the Tahoe that wins.
But the old ones are very dated looking.
If you put good shocks rear swaybar and tires the X gets real stable. If you looking at a 97 you would be replacing the shocks and tires.
Good luck

------------------
1999 EB X 5.9 4.1 gears, Borla catback, Vortech supercharger,superchip

Old 12-10-2000, 12:35 AM
Karl, are you sure the y2k expy you drove was a 5.4? My expy 5.4 has never seemed to work hard to move it on the freeway or around town. It will definitely out pull a comparably geared 5.7 pulling a boat or travel trailer. The expy actually stops impressively, and the anti locks work great with the four wheel disc brakes.
By the way, are you in the boise area? That is where my bad news tahoe ended up at the auction. Sure feel sorry for someone up there. To bad it didn`t fall off the transport on the way to boise. Would have spared someone some heartache.

Old 12-10-2000, 11:10 AM
Question

Kray: You know, I didnt positively check which engine it had. I THINK it was a 5.4. It did move pretty good once warmed up and you put your size 12's into it.

Actually that '97 tahoe did live in idaho, I checked it on carfax. It's white. Very pretty. but 46,000 miles is a bit more than I really want.

And do I REALLY want a chevy? 8-P

Old 12-10-2000, 01:00 PM
Talking

Ahh, heck. For about 5 grand more I can get a nearly new expi or F150. Has warranty and the new car smell. Might as well do that, sounds better place to put my money.

And my parents/grandparents wont be turning in their graves....

Old 12-11-2000, 12:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldn't try to talk you out of any vehicle you like.

BUT (you knew it),you drove a 5.7L w/46,000 miles (engine done w/break-in) and a 5.4L (maybe?) w/less than 100 miles?? Again, I say check the gears because Chevy uses a lot of 4.xx where Ford uses 3.xx ratios. In fact, the lowest gear for the "X" is 3.73:1. Anyway, be sure to check for the 5.4L... it and the 4.6L are BOTH Triton V8s. You just can't look at fender badging or believe salesmen.

You've seen proof that the X can off-road as well as any full-size vehicle. It's no Jeep or Toyota, but it'll get you farther than you think.

Get the non-Load-Leveling Suspension (LLS) for extra ride height or the 4-corner LLS for easier entry. Skip the off-road pkg and get the 16" rims which makes for a slightly shorter truck with more tire choices. Besides, the skid-plates are a joke.

Finally, when you come over to Tulsa, let me know ( nomo@webzone.net) and I'll meet you so that you can drive our "X". It just rolled over 50,000 miles and we've not had any mechanical problems despite "abusing" it with hot-rodding, towing, and off-roading. It's "just" a 4.6L, but moves pretty good nonetheless.

------------------
1997 4x4 Expedition- 4.6L, true dual exhaust w/glass-packs, K&N air filter, SuperChip, airbox mods, Edelbrock shocks, 285/75R16 BFG ATs, 2000 "XLT" wheels, 4.10 gears, Auburn LS, Clarion In-dash CD player, Smitty Bilt push bars and nerf bars.

2000 4x4 F250 SD XLT SuperCab SWB- 6.8L, Offroad Pkg, Camper Pkg, 4.30LS, Tape & CD player, Remote Keyless Entry, Sliding back glass, tinted windows, 265/75R16 OWL tires, & Line-X.

NoMo's site

Old 12-11-2000, 01:25 AM
Talking

thanks nomo, I'll be sure and let you know when I get to the big OK and if we do go to tulsa.

--karl

Old 12-11-2000, 07:49 AM
I have had three Expys and had good luck with all. The only reason why I got the 2000 was the 1999 was destroyed (see below).

It handles very well and is a lot nicer than the Tahoe. I've actually slid it sideways on pavement and not rolled. (evasive manuver)

I had two people, one that owns a Burb and the other a Tahoe (my doctor) sit in it and they couldn't get over the added room and comfort.

It sounds as if you have already talked yourself into the Tahoe so I'm probably too late.

Also check this out in Edmunds-- http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/eng...SUV&f=0&t=1232

There are a lot more people complaining about Tahoes and reliability, vibration, brakes and a host of other things than Expys.

Oh well, to each his own---Bob

------------------

The vehicle above is one of many. Try refreshing. It goes by random but the Expy was exactly like mine. Now it's a
2000 EB Expedition 5.4L, Estate Green with all the perks,3.55 LS,Heated and Signal Mirrors and Seats Moon Roof. Auto adjusting peddles,seats, and mirrors. Rhino Step Bar (coming), Ford Bug Shield,Even the hitch propeller, More to come... My 99 Expy was destroyed in a Wisconsin Tornado (No B.S.) Allstate did good by me but I still took a hit on mileage.

[This message has been edited by ExpyBob (edited 12-11-2000).]

Old 12-11-2000, 03:44 PM
Talking

First you did the right thing by looking at the 97's track record from car fax. I think the three things to worry about is one, the trans, two, the BRAkes, and three, the front seat rails move a lot.

I purchased my X because it was the vehicle that fit my family and needs. At the time the Tahoe didn't have a third seat. So I didn't look at one. Now they do. I was neither a Ford nor a Chevy person, I had a Jeep for thirteen years, family car.

There are X's out there that are lower than other's. And X's have different rear ends (3.73-3.55) so the power feel is different. But if your looking for good gas mileage, definitly not better than the chevy. The 3.55 gears get the best, but slower getting on the freeway. (With 5.4L) The newer X's also have adjustable pedal's which is a plus for us small people.

And last but not least, the taller the X, less nimble it gets if any. I have the taller X, and had to make some changes to stablize it. Shocks-swaybar. And for more power get a Superchip like I did, it's great.

Good luck with either.

------------------
99 Expedition XLT
5.4L
4X4
3.73LS
17"AT/S
Airaid Intake
Superchip
Custom Edlebrock shocks
Dynomax Super Turbo 3"
Helwig Sway Arm
Polk speakers

Old 12-12-2000, 12:42 AM
expybob:

I havent talked myself into one, but nearly did, that is why I posted my questions here.

I have read about the problems with gm trucks. But, a friend of the family had a '97 chevy truck equiped the same engine/drivetrain, never a problem with it (they loved it). they just traded it in on a new truck. A Ford Truck!!!

Anyways I have pretty much decided that it's not such a great idea to put $20,000 into a four-year old truck with 46,000 miles on it. Esp a chevy.

So, I am down to an expy and the F150, with the explorer distant second.

--karl

Old 12-12-2000, 06:13 PM
Thumbs up

just to let you all know, I went truck shopping today and decided the explorer is just too small, the expy is way too big, and the F150 is uh, just right. I think they will do nicely.

Thanks for all the help

--karl

Quick Reply: Expi v. Tahoe