Expedition / Navigator

assorted expy questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2000, 12:58 AM
Location: the great stinkin' desert national monument and nuclear waste dump
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking assorted expy questions

considering getting an expidition and I need some questions answered:

1) what kind of mileage are you experiencing with the 5.4?? City and highway.

2) How do they handle on bad roads, snow, ice, etc? (4x4)

3) How do they do in windy situations??? We get a lot of gusty cross-winds here

4) How much gas do they hold? I have seen differing gas tank capacities.

5) what is your cruising range like???

6) what is the curb weight? (XLT, 5,4, 4x4) Again, I have seen widely differing numbers.

thanks, karl

Old 12-11-2000, 08:08 AM
13-14 MPG.

Handles bad weather well. I took off the Firestone Wilderness firecrackers and replaced with BF Goodrich. The Goodrich are also better than the OEM Goodyears. They cup after a while and get noisy. All three of mine had the 17 inch rims. I think they fill the wheel well better.

Wind does get me every once in a while but not enough to change my mind about owning one.

4X4 holds 30 gallons.

Actual range about 300 miles. Don't pay too much attention to the on board trip computer.

About 5600 lbs.

Karl, I've owned a 1997 XLT, 1999 EB, and the 2000 EB I have now. Lost the 1999 in a tornado while traveling in Wisconsin.

I'll buy another. They handle well and are very roomy and comfortable. I have used my Expys to go back and fourth to Wisco. The EB is worth the added bucks.

The only negative thing is they charge more at the car wash and then don't dry the roof.

It will be off to Florida the 28th of the month if all goes well.

Hope this helps. Will be glad to answer any other questions---Bob

------------------

The vehicle above is one of many. Try refreshing. It goes by random but the Expy was exactly like mine. Now it's a
2000 EB Expedition 5.4L, Estate Green with all the perks,3.55 LS,Heated and Signal Mirrors and Seats Moon Roof. Auto adjusting peddles,seats, and mirrors. Rhino Step Bar (coming), Ford Bug Shield,Even the hitch propeller, More to come... My 99 Expy was destroyed in a Wisconsin Tornado (No B.S.) Allstate did good by me but I still took a hit on mileage.

[This message has been edited by ExpyBob (edited 12-11-2000).]

Old 12-11-2000, 03:19 PM
Karl

One more thing....
My mileage was a little better than 14 but the winter gas came along and killed it. The 3.55 axle does get better mileage than the 3.73 I had in the other two but you loose poundage in towing.

Good luck---Bob

Old 12-12-2000, 12:53 AM
Q:what kind of mileage are you experiencing
A:13-14 MPG.
>ok, that is about what most F150 5.4/4x4 owners report, right?

Q: How do they do in windy situations???
A: Wind does get me every once in a while
> Not surprising. I have a jeep cherokee and it really gets kicked around. Nice thing about full-time real 4x4--just flick the lever and it really helps in keeping everything going in the same direction.

Q: How much gas do they hold?
A: 4X4 holds 30 gallons
>That's good. I was worried the crusing range was nil. Not good when you go out where the nearest gas station is something like 80 miles away!!!

thanks bob.

--karl

ps--keep your new one out of the way of tornados, ok??

Old 12-13-2000, 08:15 AM
Karl,

I have a 97 EB expedition and a 97 F-150. I love both vehicles. The F-1 has a 4.6 and the next one 2001 will have the 5.4 as the expy has. The fuel mileage difference is virtually unnoticeable. Certainly not enough to give up the extra power. The expy is alot heavier and it kills my F-1.

As for wind, I upgraded both vehicles to Energy Suspension polyurethane sway bar ends and bushings. Now even when a tractor-trailer goes by the trucks don’t hardly move. IMO this was the best modification I made to the trucks.

The only problem I have with the EB is the quality of the Leather. The seats have worn a lot and the steering wheel is always a mess. For that reason my 2001 F-1 will stay with cloth and the next expy will be a navigator. IMO the leather looks totally different between the 2.

Snow is no problem, the auto 4wheel is great. I live in the mountains of PA and we certainly get our far sare of the white stuff.

Old 12-13-2000, 10:39 AM
I agree with everyone above but slightly differ in the gas issue. My 99 4x4 is supposed to have a 30 gallon talthough I've never squeezed more than 25 gallons in it. In town driving usually gets about 14 mpg, and highway (with cruise on) I have seen 18 mpg.

The wind isn't that bad - the truck has enough mass to feel safe and not get blown around bad.

No idea on curb weight - 5500 lbs??

I have a page on my website for my expy - can be seen at... http://fastfreddy.stangnet.com

Later

------------------
1999 Expedition EB, 4x4, 5.4, LLS, K&N with airbox mod, Lund Interceptor Bug Guard, Hooker 3" Chrome tip, Clear corner lenses, Castrol Synthetic

1987 Mustang LX50 Convertible - ProM Mass Air Conversion, Cobra Intake, Ported TFS TW heads, Steeda cam, full MAC exhaust, NOS dry Nitrous Kit, FRRP Springs, Koni Reds, and much more....

http://fastfreddy.stangnet.com

Old 12-14-2000, 12:01 AM
Ok, mines a 4x2 but here's my stuff.

As for the wind, my 2000 Expy EB replaced a Grand Cherokee. The GC took wind like a bad step child takes a whoping. The Expy doesn't take it. It's surprisigly stable.

We're in the middle of an ice storm in Dallas right now and mine has done great! Even while punching it on the ice it keeps it's composure. Mine also has the 3:55 LS and 5.4. I've heard that w/o the LS rear, they are pretty bad. For example, When I first got mine, I pulled out of the nieghborhood after the first rain we'd had in a long time. The road is pretty slipery when it's wet. I was behind another guy with a new one without LS and he had a hard time getting out (it's slightly up hill) and getting moving down the road. I punched it (slightly) to see what I was doing wrong, still kept it going with no problem and had a hard time getting it to spin.

Combo driving I get anout 400 miles (14-15 MPG). Highway about 450 miles with the 30 gallon tank. I don't seem to get as good a highyway MPG as some, about 16-17. I do of course drive pretty hard.

By the way, FastFreddy mentioned the 30 gallon tank. The 30 gallon tank is very picky about filling. Dry, mine shuts off at about 23. I can "top it off" as long as the station doesn't cut me off (Exxon does it every time) to about 32 gallons.

Not a 4x4 but there you go.

------------------
2000 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x2
Estate Green
5.4 ltr
3:55 LS rear
Tow Package
Rear Load Leveling
Moonroof

Old 12-14-2000, 12:17 AM
Question

ok, so if I seriously look at one of the slightly used y2k's the local dlr has, how can I tell if it has a limited slip rear?

--karl

Old 12-14-2000, 11:39 AM
Smile

1. 11-13 city 13-15 highway depending on speed.

2. OK

3. A little hairy sometimes.

4. No more than 28 gallons on fill up.(30gallon tank)

5. 400+ depending on speed. Vacation, all highway.

6. My sticker says 5500lbs.

These are my experiences with my vehicle.
And I also made changes to stablize my vehicle ie; Shocks, Swaybar, and Steering Box.

------------------
99 Expedition XLT
5.4L
4X4
3.73LS
17"AT/S
Airaid Intake
Superchip
Custom Edlebrock shocks
Dynomax Super Turbo 3"
Helwig Sway Arm
Polk speakers