Expedition / Navigator

Navigators with integral cell phone system

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2000, 05:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Navigators with integral cell phone system

I went to have our new Nav's cell phone activated, wanting to put it in the 'share plan' with the rest of our family's cell phones. I was shocked to find that they put analog phones in a 2000 model, $43,000 vehicle! Lincoln dealer says he has had many complaints but there are no plans for digital phone replacements! Unbelievable.
Anyone else with this problem? What did you do? Just stick with analog service?

Old 09-11-2000, 01:26 PM
Many of the top cars have only analog service also (BMW, VW, Audi etc). The phone in my MB M series is analog also.

Your best bet if you want the digital service is to have the aftermarket adapter kit for you cell phone mounted in there. This will give you the digital service you wanted, but no integration into the stereo.

Old 11-02-2000, 11:52 PM
I now have a 2000 Navigator. I t has the analog as well. Actually the one positive about having the analog is the power (watts) it has compared to a digital. But I agree, you would think that as much money as it costs, it would be state of the art....

------------------
2000 Expedition,Eddie Bauer,4x4,5.4L,Load Leveling Suspension,Moonroof,Captains Chairs front & back,K&N Filter,Back Up Sensors,Class 3 Towing,3.55 Limited Slip,Gibson Cat-Back,Heated Seats,etc....(it came with everything )
http://www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Breakers/6817
[img]//www.geocities.com/SouthBeach/Breakers/6817/chevy1.gif[/img]

Old 11-10-2000, 06:24 PM
Lightbulb

Sounds like you scored a great deal for 43K. My factory sticker was over 50K.. Anyway I found out that the reason our cars have Analog is that there is no HIGH OUTPUT (>3watts)antenna for digital phones which are down around 250 milli watts. Also you will notice your phone has almost all the capablities of digital phone. (caller ID text messageing.....) If you want to pay for it. I just opted for the basic 20 buck plan for now.
Another point is that there are areas in the US and Canada that do not have digital capabilities.

------------------
2000 Navigator. Laser Red, Every option. ,FIPK (mods), Superchip, Rear air deflector, Bug deflector, PIAA, headlights (SUPERWHITE)

Looking at Hitting 400 Hp without a blower. Using in addition, headers and duel CatBack. (If possible)
(Waiting for JBA to develope Headers)

“91” F150 4X4 Shorty “Ultimate Off Road Edition” Borge Warner T18 4 speed, Traction Lock Front and Rear Differentials., Smitty Built Duel Tube Roll Bar, Moog Super Off Road Coil Springs, Factory 2” Lift Rancho RS 9000 Shocks , Stock Front “QUAD SETUP” 33x12.5 (B.F. Goodrich) Mud Terrain Warn Winch Combo Bush Bar with Warn XD9000I Winch. Full Factory Skid Plates. 302 Long Block, K&N FIPK JBA Chrome Headers, Custom Catback using Flowmaster Muffler, Duel out side behind rear wheel.

Old 11-10-2000, 09:16 PM
Analog phone service is available in more areas than digital, especially in rural areas.

I wonder why they don't go with a dual or tri mode phone? My dual mode phone works on both analog and digital systems.

Old 01-01-2001, 12:17 AM
I made them take it out when i got mine.
I had them take my bellsouth phone and wire through the system. Now when the phone rings the radio mutes. does everyones do this.

also where did you find a gator for 43,000?

the dealership i went to had 7 on the lot and they all stickered for $56,789.

i guess they offer different packages for them. although im not sure.

mine is 4x4 with heated seats.
what options do you have?

------------------
2000 silver lincoln navigaotr 4x4, heated seats, 3 LCD tvs, tinted windows. More to come.

1999 black lightning. (no mods) YET.

Old 09-30-2002, 12:24 PM
Thumbs down Bad new for the Analog phone service.

I was informed by my cell phone provider (Verizon) that there analog phone service will be disabled coming this May 2003 servicing only digital phones across the U.S. This means all of us who have analog phones built into our vehicle can no longer use them making them just added weight (Junk). Granted in my area there is ATT that still might carry analog service but for how long?

I just got off the phone with the Lincoln service center. (1-800-521-4140) I am told that Lincoln has no upgrade package to Digital for there Analog phones that they put into there cars. This would be like getting an 8-TRACK player put into your 2003 Jaguar! (Pretty much useless).

Does anyone have any options or ideas?
I remeber someone mentioning having the dealer install a Digital phone into there system? Cant find the thread.

Old 09-30-2002, 02:59 PM
Not just Lincoln

My 2000 Lexus was the same way, so I just had my own digital/analog capable phone installed with a handsfree kit. I was a little bit more pi$$ed to find out that only the Lexus/Motorola phone offered the automatic mute output to the factory radio. In my Expy, I just added the HF kit to the same phone in my Lex, but I was hoping they could use a pro-fit mount, but since they gave me a Cellport 3000 base, they "claimed" it didn't really fit right (if you can't tell from how I wrote it, I still don't believe them) I should've just done it myself!

Old 09-30-2002, 04:57 PM
The problem is. The phone is integrated into the Radio. It automatically does the following. Incoming calls pauses and mutes current program. Displays on Radio Display that here is an incoming call. Displays the Caller ID information and allow you to answer the call (Hands free). When done, phone hangs up CD/Tape continues right where it left off radio volume slowly increases back to last setting. When placing a call you can use the voice commands or use the 1-9 buttons on the radio as speed dial buttons or buttons on the steering wheel. Features can be controlled from back seat as well.

I am not sure if anyone makes a digital phone that integrates that well into the radio.
The standard Lexus phone sound pretty inferior to something like this.

I am discourage at Lincoln for doing such a great job at integrating this phone but not making it digital. The BMW’s Jags and Mercedes all have the same problem.

Old 08-22-2006, 12:32 PM
Sorry to dig up such an old thread but we just bought a 99 gator with the useless integrated phone. Has anyone come up with a reasonable solution to convert to digital? Our local cellular dealer want over $400 to completely replace the system to fit our current Nokia digital phones. That is nuts.

Mark

Quick Reply: Navigators with integral cell phone system