Expedition / Navigator

Hellwig Read Anti-Sway Bar Installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2001, 08:21 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BluOvalOK:
Has anyone heard of / considered Hotchkis anti-sway bar? I want to say its 1 1/4" in dia. They make both front and rear for the X and I have been looking in to it but havent heard anything about them (good or bad).
</font>
BluOvalOK -

I don't have direct experience with their Expy bars but I do have a set of Hotchkis bars on my Corvette that I really like. Very solid workmanship. There were some issues with the earlier builds of those bars, mainly adjustable endlink issues, but those have been resolved now. More importantly, Hotchkis appeared to be very responsive to customers with issues.

K.

Old 02-24-2001, 11:33 PM
Thumbs up

Just got my Hellwig installed. Wow, I thought it was going to be a breeze.

Once I wised up and removed the spare to get to the upper bolt on the drivers side, I was home free. It tool about 2 hours. Well you through in the 2 trips to Sears, one planned to get a torque wrench and another not planned to get what ended up being a parge socket set. I found the OEM stuff to be metric, and I didn't have any metrics big enough, Oh well, I'm rebuilding and filling a tool cabinet anyway....don't ask, it's a long sad story of having a Snap-on cabinet packed
full, to having almost nothing in a flash. Someone had a heat of the moment notion during a garage sale and poof, I went from having everything imaginable including specailty stuff, to having nothing. Sorry, I got side-tracked......

My first impression is, hmm, ok not bad. I only took a quick ride around but nothing real drastic. The one place I can tell a difference is for example when I do a u-turn. Quick 90 degree turns are also easier to come out of accelerating as it's in control better. I can't tell any differance in straight ahead driving although I wouldn't expect to. I read another post where someone said it "sacrificed some comfort" or something along those lines. I can't say I agree.

Anyhow, I'm curious what replacing the front bushing with polyurethane will do. I'll find out in about 3-4 weeks when they get here.

------------------
2000 EDDIE BAUER EXPEDITION 4x2
--&gt;Come share my Addiction&lt;--

[This message has been edited by FamilyRide (edited 02-24-2001).]

Old 02-26-2001, 05:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
FamilyRide-
Sorry I didn't get back to you in time. I was on a ski trip with the guys to Colorado. Whoa, boy, what powder!!! But I digress...

You already found out the one thing I cold have passed on, concerning the spare tire. Other than that, sorry to hear about your tools.

Concerning the "comfort sacrifice", no change here. you've already pinpointed the biggest improvement...cornering and turns. Not to metion a sore subject, :-(, but I may have a different feel due to the Edelbrocks.

Have you decided on a different shock upgrade?

I think I'm onto a billet grill next...!
Keep us posted on the front bushings. I may join you in that upgrade.

------------------
2000 Wedgewood Blue Expy XLT 5.4L 4WD, C&C group, towing package, beige leather interior, captain's chairs, 6 CD Changer, 255/70R16, all-weather floor mats, factory fog lamps, Mobil1 5W-30 Synthetic w/ Puralator filter

MODS
Ford Bug Deflector (2/15/00)
Superchip (3/11/00)
Airaid (3/23/00)
Edelbrock IAS shocks (3/23/00)
Jardine cat-back exhaust (4/6/00, removed 8/22/00)
Under Seat Locking Storage Drawer (6/6/00)
MPC Rear Air Foil (7/2/00)
Super-White Headlamps and Foglamps (1/15/01)
Gibson Swept Side catback (2/8/01)
Hellwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar (2/8/01)

Old 02-26-2001, 09:24 PM
Thumbs up

jmartinb,

That sound great. A lot better than working!

The bushing kit is due to ship on March 19. They told me it was specail order so I was expecting it. I can't imagine not feeling some little bit of difference, and for $29 and some change, I'm in.

As for the shocks :razz: ya, I know. Actually I can imagine that would be by far the most noticable improvement. I think I've settled on Bilsteins but I'm not in a hurry now. Maybe I'm hoping Edelbrock will come around.

I ended up digging up an old 11/16 wrench that is about 5-6 inches long that worked ok behind that "canister" looking thing up inside the frame. It was still a challenge with 2 fingers inside the frame blind though. But not too bad. I htink I'll sit back and ponder the next mod. I'm thinking about having my Superchip reprogrammed to firm up the shifts a tab bit more. I love that feel when it's first cranked up and the tranny fluid is still cold, nice and crisp.

------------------
2000 EDDIE BAUER EXPEDITION 4x2
--&gt;Come share my Addiction&lt;--

Quick Reply: Hellwig Read Anti-Sway Bar Installed