Expedition / Navigator

Uh oh! "Service Engine Soon" Light at 700 miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2001, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Uh oh! "Service Engine Soon" Light at 700 miles

I have 700 miles on my new '01 Expy. The "Service Engine Soon" is now on. All of the gauges read normal, and the fluid levels are fine. I read the owner's manual which states that it could be an emission related thing. So I called the dealer; they say to ride it out for a couple of tanks of gas. (I am burning brand-name gas). They say that it may simply be part of the break-in period. If the problem doesn't go away they want me to bring the vehicle to the shop.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar to this? Any advise/insight is appreciated.

------------------
TexasDude * * * *

'99 F-150 XLT S/C, Flareside, 4.6 V8, Auto, 3.55 LS Axle, Tow/HD Suspension Package.

2001 Expedition XLT. 5.4 V8, Leather, 6CD, Running Boards, 3.55 LS Axle. My wife loves it (and I rarely get to drive it ).

The only things modified are my attitude and bank account!

Old 02-26-2001, 09:28 PM
Thumbs up

I've got almost 20k miles on my 2000 and haven't had a bit of problem. I brought to the dealer for the first time last weekend to get the tow hitch recall done and have the window moldings replaced (they faded and pealed by 6 months like almost all of them do)

I know it's new, but I'd wonder what's setting off a code. You could reset it (disconnect the neg battery cable then turn the headlights on and let it sit for about 5 minutes then turn everything off, and re connect the battery)

See if it sets it off again. I'd let the dealer read the code, unless you have access to be able to read it.

You'll love the Expy....well I'm sure you would, if you got to drive it.

------------------
2000 EDDIE BAUER EXPEDITION 4x2
-->Come share my Addiction<--

Old 02-26-2001, 09:40 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TexasDude:
I have 700 miles on my new '01 Expy. The "Service Engine Soon" is now on. All of the gauges read normal, and the fluid levels are fine. I read the owner's manual which states that it could be an emission related thing. So I called the dealer; they say to ride it out for a couple of tanks of gas. (I am burning brand-name gas). They say that it may simply be part of the break-in period. If the problem doesn't go away they want me to bring the vehicle to the shop.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar to this? Any advise/insight is appreciated.

</font>
I have a 99 Explorer. About three days into ownership, the service engine light illuminated. I immediately took it back to the dealership to find that it was an emmissions related problem. When re-securing the gas cap, my wife had inadvertently caught part of the cap lanyard under the cap. This left the system "open" to some degree. The dealer advised that this was a common occurance. And........no problems since (22k).

Mike in Florida

------------------

Old 02-26-2001, 11:55 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

After you've checked the gas cap, reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery. If the CE light is still on, drive to a dealership & have them check it out. Three years of relatively hard driving and not once has the check engine light ever illuminated (other than during the self-test at startup).

Normal break-in?? Might want to find another dealer- one that's got a clue.

------------------
1997 4x4 Expedition- 4.6L, true dual exhaust w/Ravin DI/DO, K&N air filter, SuperChip, airbox mods, Edelbrock shocks, 285/75R16 BFG ATs, 2000 F150 "XLT" wheels, 4.10 gears, Auburn LS, Clarion In-dash CD player, Smitty Bilt push bars and nerf bars.

2000 4x4 F250 SD XLT SuperCab SWB- 6.8L, Offroad Pkg, Camper Pkg, 4.30LS, Tape & CD player, Remote Keyless Entry, Sliding back glass, tinted windows, 265/75R16 OWL tires, Smittybilt nerf bars & Line-X bedliner.

NoMo's site

Old 02-27-2001, 01:50 AM
I use to write service at a GM dealership. When a service engine light comes on, its NOT part of normal break in! Cant believe he told you that! Its normally one of two things, as stated earlier a fuel cap is not tightened snug (you should turn it till you atleast hear one a "click")or an o2 sensor has failed and/or come unplugged. The fuel system is pressurized, so when the computer detects a "leak", you get the light. It will not hurt to drive it either way. Hope this helps. Enjoy your new ride!

------------------
2000 EB EXPY
5.4,3.55LS
K&N
*SUPERCHIP*

Quick Reply: Uh oh! "Service Engine Soon" Light at 700 miles