Expedition / Navigator

auto door locking

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2001, 11:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post auto door locking

Is there anyway to change it so that when the ignition is turned from running position to off, all 4 doors can be opened without having to manually hit the unlock button???
On the car I traded in on my EXP, all 4 doors would unlock once the ignition was turned off.

------------------
RED 93 SVT LIGHTNING #4293
99 EDDIE BAUER EXPEDITION 4X4

Old 02-12-2001, 09:49 AM
I don't belive so. I've rented cars that do that but never heard of an X doing it. I'm even aware of the steps you take to shut off auto lock.

Maybe that'll be a future feature. They seem to add a little at a time to keep things interesting.

Bob

Old 02-12-2001, 02:15 PM
I had the same problem. I installed a cheap $29.00 keyless entry kit to make my doors lock when the ignition is turned on and unlock when it is turned off. I still use my factory remote to lock or unlock my doors since it is already equipped with keyless entry. The installation only takes about 35 mins.

------------------

http://www.geocities.com/x_plosive98

Old 02-12-2001, 08:44 PM
Location: Beautiful Fort Worth in the Great State of Texas which is part of The Best Country on this Planet Earth, The U.S.A.!
Whatever you do, Don't lock the doors with the engine running and expect the remote to unlock them!!

Trust me on this, I found out the hard way.

(Took 45 minutes to get in touch with my wife because she knew the code to unlock with the heypad!!)

Old 02-13-2001, 01:06 PM
01X
Red face

B777 and others, you can (at least on 01) program the keypad with whatever code you want. The instructions are on the piece of plastic that told you what your original code was. I am not sure how many codes it will remember but the original code and my birth date work. Just a suggestion for remembering the code.

Old 02-13-2001, 08:48 PM
Location: Beautiful Fort Worth in the Great State of Texas which is part of The Best Country on this Planet Earth, The U.S.A.!
01X, Yeah, my wife had programmed it with her own code and I never knew the factory code so I was SOL.

The problem was that I did not know that if the engine was running the remote control to unlock the doors will not work!!

Like I said, a frustrating 45 minutes, 105. F. outside, A/C running hard on the inside....

Old 02-14-2001, 08:55 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
It surprised me to read this. The doors on my F150 lock when I put it in gear. I don't have to hit the unlock button to open, just pull the handle. Maybe the Expy does that because of the back doors and the 'child' issue.

Old 02-14-2001, 09:02 AM
On '01 SCrews, all 4 doors lock when the truck is put in gear. I don't know for sure, but I think doors can not be opened when truck is in motion. When truck is in park, running or not, the two front doors can be opened, but back two remain locked until remote or front door unlock button is pressed.

------------------
The GO 4D IT SuperCrew '01 SuperCrew XLT 4x2 (Generation II): 5.4L, Limited Slip, Black, 5-Spoke Rims, Dark Cloth, Capt. Chairs, Power Seat, Steps, Extender, Moonroof, 6-disc manual CD changer; Ford/Duraliner, '86 Mustang rear mats as humpmats, K&N Filter, Ford molded rear mudflaps.

(for sale) The GO 4D IT Ranger: '93 Ranger XLT SuperCab 4x2: 65K miles; 4.0L; Limited Slip; Black; Alum. Rims; A.C.; Power windows, mirrors, and locks; CD Player; Hard Tonneau; Running Boards.

If it weren't for trucks, we wouldn't have tailgates.

Old 02-28-2001, 01:25 AM
On the '01 Expy, you can have two keypad codes for unlocking the vehicle. One factory supplied (in your handbook), and another which you can set the number yourself. I know you can disable the autolock, but it would be nice to be able to auto-unlock if the key is taken out, etc..

I have always thought that it is dangerous to automatically have the doors lock as if you get into a wreck, you would not be able to get assistance from outside the car.

Paul

Old 02-28-2001, 10:56 AM
Thats weird, my doors lock ONLY after releasing the brake pedal!

------------------
2000 EB EXPY
5.4,3.55LS
K&N
*SUPERCHIP*

Quick Reply: auto door locking