Expedition / Navigator

Transmission oil replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2001, 01:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Welcome aboard, I think that the dealer can change the oil by circulating the old oil out while putting new oil in. Somebody can correct me on this. Also somebody can correct me also on this but I thought the two wheel drive trans don't have a drain plug but the four wheel drives do, Plus a bigger pan. If nobody else replies go to the f150 side, those guys have a lot of info.

Good Luck

------------------
99 Expedition XLT,5.4L,4X4,3.73LS,285-75-16 KO'S9(old 17"AT/S),Airaid Intake,Superchip,Edlebrock shocks,Dynomax Super Turbo 3",Helwig Sway Arm,Polk speakers

http://home.earthlink.net/~louladot/

Old 03-03-2001, 12:00 AM
Post Transmission oil replacement

hey guys, just found this site and it's great. i was hoping some of you could help me with changing my transmission oil and filter.Do need to drain the converter to get everything? is it worth my trouble? i want to put in some mobile 1 ATF. can anyone give me a step by step break down? i have a 99'expedition EB w/ 5.4l. thanks for the help.

Old 03-04-2001, 04:18 PM
If you want to get everything, you will need to drain the converter. Draining the pan won't get more than 50% of the total fluid.

If you have the E40D or 4R100 tranny, there is a converter drain hidden behind a rubber plug.

On my old C6 tranny (88 F250), I used to change the fluid by putting the feed line to the cooler into an empty bucket and the return line into a fresh fluid container and flush until all the fluid was clear (a couple of quarts more than the capacity of the tranny). I haven't heard of anyone doing that with the newer trans, though.

I think the change to Synthetic is a good idea if you have a modified engine or tow a lot. Just make sure that it is Mercon V compatible.

Ian

------------------
99 Expedition EB
5.4l, 4x4, 4.10'S
WMS Tube, Bassani Cat Back Exhaust.
Superchip Flipchip on Order

Old 03-05-2001, 11:58 PM
thanks for your help guys. i really appreciate it.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hbbus580:
hey guys, just found this site and it's great. i was hoping some of you could help me with changing my transmission oil and filter.Do need to drain the converter to get everything? is it worth my trouble? i want to put in some mobile 1 ATF. can anyone give me a step by step break down? i have a 99'expedition EB w/ 5.4l. thanks for the help.</font>

Quick Reply: Transmission oil replacement