Expedition / Navigator

Soon to be new owner. Have a question or two.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2001, 09:25 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Soon to be new owner. Have a question or two.

I just sold my 94 NSX and I'm currently looking for an 98 Expedition to replace it (Wow, that sounds weird!). I'm more into the street scene than off-road, and was wondering if I should get and XLT or an EB? I want to lower my vehicle 2-4 inches and put a nice set of after market wheels on it. So here is my question. I thought I read somewhere that you cannot lower the 2WD EB's in the rear because of the air suspension, or you can only lower it about 2". Is this correct? Do the EB rears use just an air bag and no spring? I'm not going to slam the vehicle to the street, but I would like the option of how low I can drop the vehicle. Are there any other good websites that specialize in Expeditions? Any help would be appreciated.

James

[This message has been edited by EnzoWho (edited 02-27-2001).]

Old 02-27-2001, 04:32 PM
Thumbs up

Welcome to the boards.

Not all EB have the rear LLS (load leveling suspension) It coumes with the tow package. A lot of them have it though. Even if you have one, I thinkg you can lower it, but you'll need to disable the sensors. I'd look for one without it. If you're going to do a lot of mods, and XLT would be fine. Although the difference in price for a '98 EB or XLT won't be all that much.

Lok for posts by BlueX and another one I can't remember. BlueX has pic's of his posted here and it's dropped. The other is silver and dropped as well. All the dropped and really customzed ones I've seen here are XLT's.

Good luck and be sure to post pics!

------------------
2000 EDDIE BAUER EXPEDITION 4x2
-->Come share my Addiction<--

Old 02-27-2001, 05:43 PM
I don't really want an EB, but I do want the 5.4 engine. I have not come across any XLT's worth buying that had the 5.4 engine yet. If I can, I will get an XLT for sure.

As soon as I get it and lower it, I will post many pics.

Thanks a lot!!

Old 02-27-2001, 10:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Again- WELCOME!

Is there a reason you want a '98 and not a '97? Or, a '99+ for that matter? In '99, they upped the HP & torque in addition to making some "upgrades" to the overall truck.

I'd hate for you to limit your choices and not get "exactly" what you want.

------------------
1997 4x4 Expedition- 4.6L, true dual exhaust w/Ravin DI/DO, K&N air filter, SuperChip, airbox mods, Edelbrock shocks, 285/75R16 BFG ATs, 2000 F150 "XLT" wheels, 4.10 gears, Auburn LS, Clarion In-dash CD player, Smitty Bilt push bars and nerf bars.

2000 4x4 F250 SD XLT SuperCab SWB- 6.8L, Offroad Pkg, Camper Pkg, 4.30LS, Tape & CD player, Remote Keyless Entry, Sliding back glass, tinted windows, 265/75R16 OWL tires, Smittybilt nerf bars & Line-X bedliner.

NoMo's site

Old 02-28-2001, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the welcome! The reason I am going with the 98 is because there is a huge selection of them coming of lease and the deals are pretty good. Plus, I want to keep my payment low so I can pay it off in 24 months and get another sports car. I only own small 2 door cars, and need something that will help me when my kid arrives in June.

The reason for not going with the 97 is basically a mileage thing. Most of the 97's I've found have around 50k (or more), and I would like to stay in the low 30's if possible. I don't plan on towing or hauling anything around, so I thought the 4.6 would be enough. Is it really under powered with that engine? My first choice is going to be a clean 5.4 XLT. Sorry for rambling.

James

Old 02-28-2001, 10:36 AM
Back in '97 when we bought ours, I drove both and didn't notice much difference. However, in '99, they made some nice changes to the 5.4 that made it quite a bit better than the 4.6 even though the it had been upgraded too.

It's been so long since our X was stock, I've forgotten what it was like when new. Best to drive as many as possible and make your own decision. Many think the Expedition is underpowered with either engine.

Regardless of engine choice, be ready for mileage-shock! These things weigh almost 3 tons and catch more wind than a sailboat. If economy is a huge concern, you may want to consider another vehicle. Don't get me wrong, the Expedition is a great truck. We LOVE ours- my wife absolutely refuses to consider getting rid of it. However, it is what it is- a big, heavy truck that sucks a lot of gas. If you want an Expy and the "best" economy, then the 4.6L is the one to get. You may have heard that a larger motor gives better mileage because it has to work less- not true in an Expedition.

------------------
1997 4x4 Expedition- 4.6L, true dual exhaust w/Ravin DI/DO, K&N air filter, SuperChip, airbox mods, Edelbrock shocks, 285/75R16 BFG ATs, 2000 F150 "XLT" wheels, 4.10 gears, Auburn LS, Clarion In-dash CD player, Smitty Bilt push bars and nerf bars.

2000 4x4 F250 SD XLT SuperCab SWB- 6.8L, Offroad Pkg, Camper Pkg, 4.30LS, Tape & CD player, Remote Keyless Entry, Sliding back glass, tinted windows, 265/75R16 OWL tires, Smittybilt nerf bars & Line-X bedliner.

NoMo's site

Old 02-28-2001, 03:46 PM
Thanks Nomo,
Well I just got the call from my friend (he's a buyer), and he bought a 98 XLT, 4.6 motor, black with tan leather, 3rd row, running boards, hitch, cd changer, aluminum rims with 33k miles for $18,600. No dings or dents and a few light scratches. All it needs is a set of tires and a little clean up. I hope I can pick it up tonight so I can post some pics tomorrow. If not, I should have it by Friday at the latest.

Since it needs new rubber, I can't decide if should get a different set of rims (maybe 18") and a set of lower profile tires, or just stick with the stock rims and start changing other things. Hmmmm.. decisions, decisions.

Let the mods begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks to everyone for input.

James

Old 02-28-2001, 06:47 PM
Sounds great!

Indeed- let the mods begin!

Old 03-02-2001, 11:21 PM
Welcome to the Board.Great things about the XPD's is there a lots of mods you can do on them.

------------------
Ford Expedition 99'
Deep Wedgewood Blue
Borla cat back exhaust
Airraid Intake
White face Gauge
Billet Grille w/BladeRunner
EuroDiamond Headlights
Euro Corner Lens
20 inch wheels/tires
2"inch drop DJM
WetOkole seat covers

and much more coming soon!!

Old 03-07-2001, 10:15 PM
This is off the topic:

Blue-X, what size tires are you running with those 20s? Is there any rubbing up front when turning? Thanks.

Old 03-08-2001, 12:13 AM
Finally got around to taking a pic of the new vehicle. Did not photograph as well as I would have liked. Anyhoot, we all know what a black Expy looks like anyway.

Old 03-08-2001, 05:05 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by EnzoWho:
Anyhoot, we all know what a black Expy looks like anyway. </font>
They can differ greatly, so post the pics. Your black X doesn't look anything like mine!

Old 03-08-2001, 09:39 PM
hey, I like to learn how to post a picture, I just did some mods to my expy and wanted some opinions...

Old 03-08-2001, 11:08 PM
Everything you need to know about UBBcode:
https://www.f150online.com/f150board/ubbcode.html

Old 03-09-2001, 08:06 AM

OK... I hope this works and a pic is visible

Quick Reply: Soon to be new owner. Have a question or two.