Expedition / Navigator

Need help with over head console

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2001, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help with over head console

I want to remove my over head console so I can get power for my radar detector from one of the power sources behind under the console. I purchased a Hayes manual, but it doesn't describe how to take the console off. I've noticed that the plastic inside this vehicle is mostly popped together with clips. I'm sure the console has some screws also. If anyone has experience with taking one off, I'd appreciate the help. My vehicle is a 98 XLT.

Thanks

Old 03-13-2001, 09:26 PM
Enzo, There is one screw that is in the sunglasses compartment. Remove it first. Then all you have to do is gently pull downward on the front part of the counsole, then the back part. STOP!! When you pull the back part down, be careful! It only pulls down 1 inch, it then will hit a metal bracket. You have to slide the entire counsole forward about an inch to clear the bracket. It's very easy. All that holds it in is two push in metal clips in the front, one in back and the one screw in the sunglasses compartment. Also, there are two wire harnesses that are attached with a plastic push in type retainer, just pull them out.

Old 03-14-2001, 09:05 AM
Cold Expy,
Thank you very much for the advice. Without little tips like this, you could find yourself buying another console. ha, ha

Thanks again,
James

Quick Reply: Need help with over head console