Expedition / Navigator

2001 Expy Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2001, 09:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2001 Expy Vibration

Just bought the wife a new 2001 Expy EB about three weeks ago. I finally got to drive it this weekend and noticed what I think are some vibartion probelms.

When stopped and idling at a traffic light there seems to be vibration from the engine.

Also, I notice vibartion starting about 55 mph and it's really noticeable around 60 to 65 mph. I can't tell if it's from the front or rear. If you lift off the throttle the vibration stops and resumes again when you ease back on the throttle.

Any ideas? I plan to take the Expy back to the dealer this week and let them check it out.

Old 02-19-2001, 10:42 AM
Thumbs up

I've got a 2000 with almost 20k miles now and have never had anything like that. I'd let the dealer look at it.....

------------------
<A HREF="http://home.att.net/~jmtkennedy/Expedition/Expy.JPG" TARGET=_blank>
2000 Eddie Bauer Expedition 4x2</A>
  • Estate Green
  • 5.4 ltr
  • 3:55 LS rear
  • Superchip!<A HREF="http://home.att.net/~jmtkennedy/Expedition/Airaidfr.JPG" TARGET=_blank>
  • Airaid FIPK</A><A HREF="http://home.att.net/~jmtkennedy/Expedition/GibExitFr1.JPG" TARGET=_blank>
  • Gibson S/S Swept Side Cat Back Exhaust</A>
  • Tow Package
  • Rear Load Leveling
  • Moonroof<A HREF="http://home.att.net/~jmtkennedy/Expedition/CenturyChildSeat.JPG" TARGET=_blank>
  • Century Child Seat!</A>
  • Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar ordered
  • Front Polyurethane Anti-Sway Bar Bushings ordered

Old 02-19-2001, 10:45 AM
My wife also has a 2000 Expy with 5.4L and hers has almost 15K. I noticed this weekend that the motor seems to run rough and vibrate at idle. No highway vibrations though.

Old 02-20-2001, 12:30 AM
01X
I have a 2001 X with the 5.4. I have noticed the vibration when I am stopping, and the engine is at about 700-900 rpm. It soor of feels like the trans. is staying in a higher ger and lugging a little sand then when it finally shifts down it quits. It does not do it all the time but it does occur. There is not vibration at hwy. speeds. I thought it might be the aftermarket exhaust i put on it but maybe there is more to it. Keep us posted as to what the dealer has to say.

------------------

Old 02-20-2001, 01:54 PM
Thumbs up

Skank Dog,

Ya, the sunroof isn't as common as you'd think it is. I got lucky and Payton-Wright had one come avaialable. It was sold before it was delivered but the customer found another one somewhere else so this one got my name on it.

It was cool. I did the "Build your truck" on Ford's website and built exactly what I wanted. First one they responded with was a 3:31 without tow package or moonroof, then the other one happened the next day. Actually Payton-Wright was the only dealer that responded to my request on-line. I buy on the "A" plan so pricing wasn't an issue.

I agree on the ride. I never thought I'd own a Ford but this thing has turned me around! It's been great. Now I'm hooked on mod's.

------------------
2000 EDDIE BAUER EXPEDITION 4x2
--&gt;Come share my Addiction&lt;--

Old 02-21-2001, 12:44 AM
My wife has a oo EB EXPY. and we havent had any problems of the sort. I did change over to Royal Purple oil this weekend and the engine does run alot smoother and quieter. Also the gas mileage pod is steadily going up!!! You may want to try this oil, but I wouldnt do it till you have atleast 5000 miles.
FAMILYRIDE...Our EXPY. is identical to yours except its white. Had to go to Middlekauff in plano to find the moonroof, but man these are nice rides.

------------------
2000 EB EXPY
5.4,3.55LS
K&N
*SUPERCHIP*

Old 02-21-2001, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the info. I left it with the dealer this morning so we'll see what they find. In the meantime they gave me 2001 Super Crew to drive so I'll have some fun with it :-)

Old 02-21-2001, 02:06 AM
FAMILYRIDE- How did you get the A plan? Do you work for ford? I got mine on the X plan, so I saved a little money.(I work for GOODYEAR). Doesnt your wife have the EXPY. with the Lightning wheels? That is a nice lookin' EXPY. I also was a die hard chevy fan
till the EXPY'S came out...Ive been converted to ford ever since!

------------------
2000 EB EXPY
5.4,3.55LS
K&N
*SUPERCHIP*

Old 02-22-2001, 11:00 PM
Thumbs up

Shank Dog,

My brother in law and his wife both work for Hertz. Soooo, we get to use the A-Plan. They tend not to buy the 10 cars a year they could.

And no, the Expy is mine. My wife doesn't like driving it. Says it's to big. She's one that went from an E Class MB to a C Class because she wanted something smaller. After all those years on MB, she is now really happy with a little bigger Volvo. I cna't even get her to buy into the mods I've made.

------------------

Old 02-27-2001, 10:05 AM
Unhappy

Just a quick update on the vibration problems we are having with our new 2001 EB. There is vibration that is most noticeable in the 60 - 65 mph range.

The following has been done by the dealer and the problem still exists:
* tires balanced
* new driveshaft installed
* fluid dampner replaced

The next step is to replace the motor mounts with "revised motor mounts" which the dealer ordered.

I doubt this is the problem but we'll wait and see. My personal guess is an out of balance torque converter.

Old 02-28-2001, 01:17 AM
I have a 2001 EB, and noticed a vibration at idle after 500+ miles. If I put the transmission into neutral, the vibration would go away, then return after going to "D" again. I took it to the dealer and they adjusted the exhaust mounts. The vibration has almost gone, it is not very noticable now. (Wife didn't notice it in the first place!)
There has not been any vibration at speed.

If you need more info, e-mail me.

Good luck,
Paul.

Old 03-05-2001, 11:44 AM
Unhappy

Here's the latest on the 60-65+ mph vibration problem with our 2001 Expy EB...

"Revised" motor mounts were installed last Thursday. We picked up the Expy Friday afternoon after it was deemed "ok" by the service manager. As soon as I got up to speed on the interstate the vibration was still there!

I called the "service director" this morning and have an appointment to meet with him this afternoon. I'll keep everyone updated.

Old 03-05-2001, 06:58 PM
Red face

I hate to say it but with dealer and service, where it should be the best place to go, it's not much more than a crap shoot. Keep your chin up and be a firm but pleasant customer.

------------------

Old 03-08-2001, 11:41 AM
Smile

Here's the latest...

The service rep called me yesterday and told me the Expy was fixed and ready to be picked up. This time they installed a new ring and pinion and bearings. I went and picked it up and took it on the interstate only to find out the problem still exists!

Just to make sure my expectations weren't too high I test drove a 2001 EB and a 2001 XLT. Neither had the same vibration problem ours has.

I left the Epxy at the dealership. The service advisor aid they didn't know what else to do. He said he would discuss it with the service manager this morning.

My sales rep called this morning and said he was directed by the general manager to find us a new Expy to replace the one we purchased. So.... it looks like we'll be getting another one.... yea!

Old 03-08-2001, 05:16 PM
Angry

Leon,

I know the feeling of frustration. I have a 99 Expy EB 4x4 with 15,000 miles on it and I am having deal with Ford on a vibe issue as well. Mine occurs between 60-65 mph under acceleration.

Mine has seen the dealer 5 times and no dice. Ford Rep looked at it last week and could not fix it either but said "all of them do it". Yeah, right.

I just informed Ford Tuesday, that I am filing for the lemon law on mine.

Quick Reply: 2001 Expy Vibration