Expedition / Navigator

coil spring removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2001, 10:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow coil spring removal

Does anyone know how to remove the front coil spring from a 2wd navigator without having to pull out the whole suspension? It should be the same as the f-150 and Expedition. The manual say that the whole suspension has to come out.

Old 03-15-2001, 02:49 PM
Singkit,
Hdlouie described it to a "T". It's a job removing the front spring on a vehicle with upper and lower control arms. Be careful when removing the stock spring!!!

Old 03-15-2001, 06:09 PM
Wink

Thanks for the help. I'm gonna give it a try.

Old 03-16-2001, 12:49 AM
Smile

I have a 4x4 but, when I rebuilt front ends in the early 80's, we supported the frame on jack stands and put a floor jack under the lower control arm to put pressure on the spring. Take the shock off. Then take the lower ball joint nut off and release the ball joint from the control arm. I did take a wack of a hammer or a air hammer to get the ball joint loose. Now you have the caliper, ABS wiring, and rotor to wire out of the way. Slowly let the floor jack down to release the coil. BE VERY CAREFULL around a spring, under pressure you don't know what can happen. So you may want to secure it to something for safety sake. Once the the tension is off, you will still have to pry down on the lower arm to get spring out. Another thing that might be in the way is the stableizer links. If it is then you would remove the links from both sides, the sway bar stays on the vehicle.
This will give you an Idea of what your looking at till someone that has done it can give you first hand advice. Remember safety first.

Good luck.

------------------
99 Expedition XLT,5.4L,4X4,3.73LS,285-75-16 KO'S9(old 17"AT/S),Airaid Intake,Superchip,Edlebrock shocks,Dynomax Super Turbo 3",Helwig Sway Arm,Polk speakers

http://home.earthlink.net/~louladot/

Quick Reply: coil spring removal