Expedition / Navigator

Gibson side swept installed today...Holy crap!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2001, 01:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Gibson side swept installed today...Holy crap!!

I had the local muffler shop install this system, took about 30 minutes! I wasnt expecting much in the power area, mainly wanted better fuel mileage and a little rumble. Man, this system wakes these trucks up!!! You can definatly tell a seat of the pants difference!!! Even took the wife to lunch today(she has no idea what Ive done!:rolleyes and she didnt notice a thing!!! Of course I didnt stick my foot in it either. She gets her panties in a wad about the whole race and noise thing!
Thanks again to familyride for all the info.
This damn thing MOVES!!!! WOO HOO!!!!

------------------
2000 EB EXPY
5.4,3.55LS
K&N
Superchip
Gibson SS exhaust

Old 03-20-2001, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the post. Been debating whether or not to go that route. Really want a little more hp and fuel mileage. Do not want it any louder. Gun shy I guess from my '99 Super duty powerstroke. Great truck but wondered why I spent almost $40k on something that I couldn't hear myself think on a cold morning.

------------------
'00 EB AWD.

Old 03-20-2001, 04:41 PM
Yea, the Gibson has my vote. Ordered it from truckperformance.com. They have a special going till the 31st of this month....NO SHIPPING CHARGES! I couldnt resist. total price out the door was 274.00 If you drive normal, you cant even hear it! But get agressive with the throttle and it sounds really good. But still, its not "loud". In fact, I had to roll the right rear window down to listen to it. In town driving and even at hwy. speeds, you'd never know it was there. And the polished tip that comes with every kit is awesome looking,even has "Gibson" etched into the top of it. I had a little fun in front of the chevy truck dealership All the salesmen were standing outside the showroom....I couldnt resist...So I punched it and everybody was looking around and finally pointed out my EXPY...The looks on their faces...LOL.

------------------
2000 EB EXPY
5.4,3.55LS
K&N
Superchip
Gibson SS exhaust

Old 03-20-2001, 05:53 PM
Thanks again for the info. will try to order the Stainless version by the end of the month. My wife actually is the one that wants it a little more than I do. Were they able to get the original off in one piece or did they have to cut it?

------------------
'00 EB AWD.

Old 03-20-2001, 06:33 PM
They removed it all in one peice. So if I wanted to, I could swap the stock unit back into place. They charged 40.00 for the install,which I thought was real reasonable considering all the back breaking labor I'd had to gone through crawling under the truck.

Old 03-20-2001, 08:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I removed my Jardine catback (too loud and too much low end loss) and installed a Gibson Swpet Side. I couldn't have a made a better upgrade choice in a catback. Everything I was looking for. I had it professional installed and have my OEM in the basement.

Been driving with the Gibson for about 6 weeks. I love it. Glad to hear everyone here is happy with it. My thanx as well to FamilyRide for the input.

------------------
2000 Wedgewood Blue Expy XLT 5.4L 4WD, C&C group, towing package, beige leather interior, captain's chairs, 6 CD Changer, 255/70R16, all-weather floor mats, factory fog lamps, Mobil1 5W-30 Synthetic w/ Puralator filter

MODS
Ford Bug Deflector (2/15/00)
Superchip (3/11/00)
Airaid (3/23/00)
Edelbrock IAS shocks (3/23/00)
Under Seat Locking Storage Drawer (6/6/00)
MPC Rear Air Foil (7/2/00)
Super-White Headlamps and Foglamps (1/15/01)
Gibson Swept Side catback (2/8/01)
Hellwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar (2/8/01)
Ventshade Window Ventvisors (3/4/01)

Old 03-20-2001, 09:59 PM
Thumbs up

ShankDog,
$40 for the install was a deal!! I wanted to slide mine off too, but doing it under the truck just won't happen.

I knew you'd like it. My wife is the same way but she actually said she can tell when we're driving. But she's ok withit because she hates driving it; it's too big.

I'm glad everyone is happy with it and that I could help. I'm really pleased with it myself. Now you know....I wonder if Gibson would donate Headers for all the business I've helped them get....

MHMCGILL, click on the link at the bottom of my sig and go to the Gibson sounds links. Keep in mind that the one next to the tailpipe is RIGHT next to it and recorded with a camcorder. I really think the recordeing makes it sounds louder than it really is. It sounds sweet. I love it. You can also search in here and in Exhaust Systems for posts by me and everyone else that has installed them. Some had it done, and some installed themself. For $40 I wouldn't hesitate getting it done. Most end up paying about $75 which still is still worth it.

jmartinb, you won't believe it, I ordered Edelbrock's. Every dealer I find uses and stands behind Edelbrocks applicaiton guide and believes they're a fit for mine. Worse case, I find something conclusive in that they obviously just don't fit, I'll return to truckperformance.com and reorder Bilsteins. And my Polyurethane bushing kit for the front shipped today. I'll post updates of course......

------------------
2000 EDDIE BAUER EXPEDITION 4x2
-->Come share my Addiction<--

[This message has been edited by FamilyRide (edited 03-20-2001).]

Old 03-21-2001, 04:05 PM
Talking

Hey familyRide-

I went to your homepage, and I was able to hear the 'right-at-the-tailpipe' wav, but was not able to hear the other 'out of the door' wav...can you send some more to me, if you have 'em? OMIGOD the one sounds cool- I am really temted to juggle some $ so I can get one! I wonder if it still sounds decent w/out an airbox mod...?

------------------
'97 Expedition Eddie Bauer

Old 03-21-2001, 05:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

FamilyRide-
Congrats on the Edelbrocks! I hope you won't have any application issues, and will be as satisfied with them as I am.

I'm anxious to hear about the front-end bushings upgrade. That one and a billet grill are next on my list.

BTW, my wife loves my truck. If we're driving for longer than 45 minutes, she falls asleep in it!

------------------
2000 Wedgewood Blue Expy XLT 5.4L 4WD, C&C group, towing package, beige leather interior, captain's chairs, 6 CD Changer, 255/70R16, all-weather floor mats, factory fog lamps, Mobil1 5W-30 Synthetic w/ Puralator filter

MODS
Ford Bug Deflector (2/15/00)
Superchip (3/11/00)
Airaid (3/23/00)
Edelbrock IAS shocks (3/23/00)
Under Seat Locking Storage Drawer (6/6/00)
MPC Rear Air Foil (7/2/00)
Super-White Headlamps and Foglamps (1/15/01)
Gibson Swept Side catback (2/8/01)
Hellwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar (2/8/01)
Ventshade Window Ventvisors (3/4/01)

Old 03-21-2001, 09:46 PM
Thumbs up

Tommy Tritonium

I think that one is larger, like 1.5MB so if you're on a dial up it might just take a little bit. But I have noticed that @Home web servers are pretty slow to respond. Try this http://members.home.net/kennedy-jim/...Driverseat.wav I tested it and it worked for me. If it doesn't work let me know and I'll email it too you.

Shank,
I can't say I noticed a dramitic difference. There was a difference but not as much as it seems you've noticed. And as for the whining, nothing here. Unless...hey, that might explain the power your feeling if the muffler guy slipped in a Supercharger

jmartinb,
Mine does the same thing. We stick a 13" TV/VCR on the console for my daughter on raod trips and my wife leans the rear seat back and out she goes...LOL
I'll let you know how the bushings do. They shipped so I might have them this weekend. Might have the shocks too, but I really want to see what the bushings do so I might have to hold off on the shocks so I can drive it a while with only the bushings new. I checked and the OEM rear shocks are the same for both LLS and non-LLS so I feel better about them. Fronts weren't a problem.

I just installed Xenon Superwhites in my driving lights. What a pain in the a$$. I got 9006's and had to hack them up some. I guess it wasn't that bad after I figured out what I needed to modify on the bulbs. Looks great now. I finished off my Volvo too with Xenon's.

How'd I turn this into a multi subject post? Oh well.....

------------------

[This message has been edited by FamilyRide (edited 03-21-2001).]

Old 03-22-2001, 12:49 AM
FamilyRide-yea,check into that Gibson header "donation", maybe they will throw in a package deal for all your buds @ f150 online also!
Did you notice that much difference in acceleration after your install? Man, I couldnt beleive it, you can actually feel it pulling you into the seat and things fade faster into the rearview mirror! I also noticed the engine making a whining noise that it never made before the gibson. Intake maybe? dunno. How about you, any new noises etc.? Cant beleive I didnt do this mod after driving off the dealers lot!!

------------------
2000 EB EXPY
5.4,3.55LS
K&N
Superchip
Gibson SS exhaust

Old 03-22-2001, 12:52 AM
Oops....forgot to mention the whining noise happens on hard acceleration only. Thinkin' maybe its spinnin' a little faster rpm's!!

Old 03-22-2001, 01:20 PM
Hey Family Ride just a word of caution. DO NOT strap or set a tv on the console. That tv turns into a 20lb bullet that's aimed right for your families head in a crash. A little girl was recently killed by a small toolbox in the cargo area. It's great you did a lot of mods to your beautiful Expy. Do one more and put a hard mount video system. You can do it yourself for about $900. Piece of mind not to mention safety is hardly something you can put a price on.

------------------
'00 EB AWD.K&N,Whitewalls turned in.

Old 03-22-2001, 09:23 PM
Unhappy

MHMCGILL,

Argh, I know. I've battled with that especailly since this 13" TV/VCR weighs about 25-30 lbs. When we've had it sitting there, I can't count the times my arm jumps on it or the time I "very uncomfortably" rest my arm over it just in case.

The only upside is that we generally only set it up once we're out on the road and it's entertainment time so we're away from traffic.

But yes, and thanks for the friendly wake up; it's a very good point!

------------------

Old 03-23-2001, 01:38 PM
Talking

FamilyRide,

Yep, that worked...very cool, although I like the one at the tailpipe MUCH better. Works out well, though, b/c I will play the quieter one to my girlfriend, and explain why we need one, and that it won't be loud at all!

------------------
'97 Expedition Eddie Bauer

Quick Reply: Gibson side swept installed today...Holy crap!!