Expedition / Navigator

FamilyRide.....Airaid performance?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2001, 03:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post FamilyRide.....Airaid performance?

Got a question for ya on your Airaid. Did you notice an improvement in perf. or fuel mileage with it? I was thinking of getting one also and was wondering what your opinions were.Lord knows if you have a sound bite of that also Ill probably get one!! LOL!

------------------
2000 EB EXPY
5.4,3.55LS
K&N
Superchip
Gibson SS exhaust
Royal Purple 5w-30

Old 03-26-2001, 07:26 PM
Thumbs up

You know, I installed it then the chip the next day. The first thing I can say I did notice was more responsive throttle. Beyond that, I'm not sure what made the differences I saw after both.

The only other thing was the sound. It now sounds' little like the old days of flipping the lid on a 4 bbl. Nice sound though, and sounds good with the Gibson!

Sorry, no sounds bites. However, I do have pictures! Same place if you haven't already seen them on the "Expy page"

------------------
2000 EDDIE BAUER EXPEDITION 4x2
-->Come share my Addiction<--

Old 03-27-2001, 05:02 PM
Thanks again FamilyRide. Im looking at getting the airaid and the grun. mass air flow sensor. This is kinda like a drug, I cant stop wanting the mods!

------------------
2000 EB EXPY
5.4,3.55LS
K&N
Superchip
Gibson SS exhaust
Royal Purple 5w-30

Old 03-27-2001, 07:28 PM
I am considering the Airaid, a superchip and the Gibson Cat-back. If you were to prioritize them in terms of performance in what order woudl you do them (assuming I don't do them all at one) Right now I think I would do the Gibson's last. Comments ???

------------------
2001 Eddie Bauer Expy 4x4
Black - LLS - Moonroof
3.73 Axle- EGR Bug Shield
EGR Rear Wind Deflector
Ventvisor's

Old 03-27-2001, 07:32 PM
Thumbs up

Without a doubt, SuperChip first!!

From there, either or. I did the Airaid first I think because it was the least intimidating, yet the Chip came the next day. Once that was done, the ice was broken and I didn't mind mod'n a new EB Expedition. I think hind sight says Gibson would have come second, just because it sounds so nice....

Before that, I thought you have to be crazy to do things like this... so I install the new Edelbrock shocks this weekend.

------------------
  • Estate Green
  • 5.4 ltr
  • 3:55 LS rear
  • Superchip!
  • Airaid FIPK
  • Gibson S/S Swept Side Cat Back Exhaust
  • Hellwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
  • Xenon Super White Head and Driving Lights
  • Clear Corners
  • Tow Package
  • Rear Load Leveling
  • Moonroof
  • Century Child Seat!
  • Front Polyurethane Anti-Sway Bar Bushings recieved, wrong part number
  • Edelbrock IAS Shocks-have arrived!!

[This message has been edited by FamilyRide (edited 03-27-2001).]

Old 03-27-2001, 07:36 PM
Thumbs up

Shank,

I've wondered, do you think the MAF is worth it? And what would you expect to get out of it? I'm kind of thinking that if you're doing that, it should accompany other more serious mods. Who knows. I'm not familiar enough with it to know.

Don't forget, you'll need to have the SuperCHip modified for the MAF if you do. It needs to be adjusted for a lean condition, otherwise you'll run waayy to lean.

------------------
  • Estate Green
  • 5.4 ltr
  • 3:55 LS rear
  • Superchip!
  • Airaid FIPK
  • Gibson S/S Swept Side Cat Back Exhaust
  • Hellwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
  • Xenon Super White Head and Driving Lights
  • Clear Corners
  • Tow Package
  • Rear Load Leveling
  • Moonroof
  • Century Child Seat!
  • Front Polyurethane Anti-Sway Bar Bushings recieved, wrong part number
  • Edelbrock IAS Shocks-have arrived!!

Old 03-28-2001, 03:11 PM
FamilyRide...The books say you get 10-15 HP out of the maf sensor,but after reading more on it, you are correct about the superchip mod. when installing the maf. I think Im gonna hold off on that for now,besides they are a little pricey! But I am gonna order the Airaid. Let us know how those shocks turn out,Im curious. Man, I gotta quit visiting this board,seems like I spend money every time!!
Squared-I also would do the superchip first no matter what! Second I would install the Gibson. I noticed alot of difference with the Gibson install. Its alot more responsive,accelerates like a sob,getting way better gas mileage(went from a best of 13.3 before to 14.8 now),and besides is sounds really good. FamilyRide has a soundbite on his website,It convinced me to buy one. Truckperformance.com has them for 294.78 with free shipping till the end of this month.

------------------
2000 EB EXPY
5.4,3.55LS
K&N
Superchip
Gibson SS exhaust
Royal Purple 5w-30

Old 03-28-2001, 06:57 PM
Skank Dog - are you running 91 or 93 octane only after the superchip ? Also - which Chip did you use ? One of the truck places I'm talking to pushes the Hyper-Tech and another the SuperCHip.

Old 03-28-2001, 07:21 PM
L-Squared- I am running 93 octane since the chip install. I did alot of research on chips and programers when deciding which one to get. I decided on the superchip and have been very happy with it. Infact Mike Troyer sells them on this board and his customer service is second to none. He will be more than happy to answer any questions you may have.
Your not gonna run with the Lightnings or anything just with a chip change, but you will notice more power,firmer trans. shifts, and maybe a slight fuel mileage increase. The chip combined with the Gibson and k&n really wakes these trucks up. Atleast in my expy,when you nail it, esp. from a 30 or 60 stomp, you can feel it pull you into the seat. It has some awesome acceleration and torque for such a heavy suv. Also, just for your information I use the royal purple synthetic motor oil. They guarantee 5-10 Hp with just an oil change. It made a believer out of me. The engine is smoother and so quiet at idle,all you can really hear is the injectors pulsing. Its nearly 6.00 a quart,but worth it in my opinion. But dont put it in your truck until you have atleast 5000-6000 miles on it. Alright I'll quit rambling. Enjoy your expy and have fun with all the mods!!

------------------
2000 EB EXPY
5.4,3.55LS
K&N
Superchip
Gibson SS exhaust
Royal Purple 5w-30

Old 03-29-2001, 02:15 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi L-squared,

I hope you don't mind, I thought I'd make a quick comment to you about the requirement of using premium gas with a performance chip............

The use of premium gas (91 octane & up) is required with just about any performance chip, that's the whole idea of getting the power gain via powertrain programming, to program for a higher octane level. The automakers didn't leave any power "laying on the table", so to speak, in their powertrain programming for 87 octane, so in order to increase power via powertrain programming(meaning, a performance chip), higher octane gasoline must be used.

There are very significant differences between the Hypertech and the Superchip; the Hypertech only offers one program that is compromised to run on all similar vehicles, say, only one program for all 1998 4.6 automatic F-150's, for example. The Superchip is much more precise, as it is programmed for the exact software revision in each individual vehicle's computer, so you get a program that was made specifically for *your* truck. Because even the exact same identical vehicle can have many different software revisions over the course of each model year, this is critically important for a properly optimized powertrain program.

Also, Hypertech only adds power at WOT (wide-open throttle), the rest of the time it does nothing for engine power. The Superchip works adding power *all* the time, at any throttle position above idle. This is why you get nice improvements in overall driveabiilty as well as increased raw power from the Superchip, and is also why some people see a small improvement in their gas mileage with the Superchip; it's just a by-product of the increased spark advance used on part-throttle in the Superchip's program.

The reason that most other chipmakers only tune the engine at WOT (wide-open throttle) is because during full-throttle operation, there are no emissions standards that have to be met, even in brand new vehicles, so if a chipmaker only changes engine tuning on wide-open throttle, they don't have to go thru the tremendous expense of independantly testing & certifying for strict 50-state emissions compliance like we do.

If you'd like to go over the details, etc. please feel free to give us a call, we're happy to speak with you, so you can give it some thought.

We also have an online ordering system for the Superchip right here on F-150 Online for everyone's convenience, the link to access it is just below in our signature line.

Best of luck whatever you decide!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 03-29-2001, 03:19 PM
Mike - thanks - that was very helpful. I was already leaning to the Superchip based on reading on it. Where does it physically go on the Expy. I want to check out to see how hard it is to install.

Also - which would you recommend - Airaid or Gibson Cat-backs - if I only do one more thing (I may do both but not both right away). I think doing the chip 1st gives me the most bang.

Quick Reply: FamilyRide.....Airaid performance?