Expedition / Navigator

Edelbrock shocks for 2001 question

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2001, 10:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Edelbrock shocks for 2001 question

Help anyone who has a 2001 Expedition 4WD.
4 Edelbrock shocks just arrived and although
I said I had a 2001 the slip lists 97-99.
I believe they fit but can anyone confirm?

Old 03-23-2001, 08:49 PM
Thumbs up

The part numbers should be the same for up through 2001. I'm assuming you don't have 4 corner LLS.

------------------
2000 EDDIE BAUER EXPEDITION 4x2
-->Come share my Addiction<--

Old 03-23-2001, 09:10 PM
Cool

Thanks for your reply. I have followed your efforts in trying to obtain stocks for your air suspension equipted Expedition.
I'm getting the tools out tonight.

------------------
2001 Expedition 5.4L XLT

Old 03-25-2001, 12:21 AM
Thumbs up

Be sure to post how it goes, and any tips.

I was hoping mine would be here by now but they aren't. Looks like next weekend will be my installation.

Hopfully my front sway bar bushing kit will be here today and installed tomorrow. That'll give me a week of testing it out to see what difference the polyurethane makes.

By the way, I replaced my rear sway bar with a Helwig and posted to someone that asked, that I'd think about it harder if I had to do it again, because although I saw a difference, it wasn't that much at all.

I'm causiously retracting that now. I keep catching myself scratching my head. There are specific spots in the road I take every day that one for example, is one that I hit at anywhere from 50-70 MPH. If I can change lanes to go around I do because it's dip and rise that leaves me grabbing onto the steering wheel to keep control with the after-bobs. I'm hitting it now, and not bobing like I did. The rear sway bar shouldn't have anything to do with that unless a lot of that bobing is undetected side to side or independent right and left bobing.

It's wierd because I had accepted the fact that the Helwig didn't do much accept for hard turns, but now I'm wondering if I was grossly mistaken. There is one place on a hwy here that I haven't had a chance to test yet but may try today since I need to head that direction. It's an exit/enterance that is almost a full circle.

I'm even finding myself thinking that the OEM shocks aren't all that bad now that I'm not seeing near the bobing that I did. Could the Helwig have actually made that much difference?

I'll say this, after removing it, I could stand on the OEM swaybar and holding the end arms/links, I could bend it. Pull up on one side while holding down on the other and twist the bar an easy inch. Now you mount that under almost 6000 lbs running weight and it must have been able to twist and bend a lot more. The Helwig, was like trying to bend concrete.

Sorry for the long post but I had to share my confusion with the Helwig. It's a fair seat-of-the-pants test because it's the only thing I've done to the suspension and been running with it for about a month. Can't imagine what it'll be like with the Edelbrocks and new poly bushings in the front.....

>>UPDATE<< While I was editing this post for typo's, "ding-dong" "Hello FedEx Home Delivery on this fine rainy Saturday morning, and hello Polyurethane Front Swaybar Bushing Kit!! It'll hopfully be installed by Sunday night!
-------
<<Update 2>>
6 week wait on a special order and they shipped the bushing kit for a 4x4. I guess shocks will be installed before the bushing kit while I wait another 6 weeks......
------------------
-->Come share my Addiction<--

[This message has been edited by FamilyRide (edited 03-24-2001).]

Old 03-25-2001, 04:22 PM
Wink

Familyride,
The shocks are installed and I hope the following info will add to your excellent posts.
I just bought this Expo ( < 2000 miles )and really would not have considered any additions unless there was a need. I too had to change lanes to avoid a dip that threw the truck all over the road. I believe the stock shocks are for the initial test ride and nothing else. I spent a fair amount of time researching shocks on f150online and again appreciated all your posts.
Here's the info in as short a list as possible:
Front: I replaced the fronts with Edelbrocks 3360 and while doing so I noticed that the original bushings appeared to be already failing. I can't understand the condition and was surprised by how cheap the material in the original bushings were. The original shocks also were a surprise, I could collapse them with one quick push. I could barely push the Edelbrock shocks down and had some trouble in the front ( 18 mm ), with collapsing the shock enough to install . I wound up jacking the truck up and making a strap to hold the shock in a shorter length. I was annoyed that the two fron shocks I receive from a wholesaler had different bushing designs but the same part number. ( one must have been older ). Nonetheless I did achieve a good installation. Total time 1 1/2 hour ( I'm not that swift. )
I then purposely drove the truck to see what just changing the fronts would do. Bad idea, the truck's steering was quite squirrly and would have been dangerous.
Rear: ( 3460 ) I thought I needed an 18 mm holdback wrench for the rear but did not. The clip on nut at the top does not need a holdback. You will need about 12 inches of extension to reach over the Gas tank but then all goes well. The rears were installed in 30 minutes.
Again I was surprised at the quality of the original shocks.
Road test: With the rears installed the truck's ride and handling were better than I had ever hoped. Can't believe that Ford would let a vehicle go out on the road with the stock shocks. I believe that any other shock would be better.
I tried everything, 70 mph highway dips which used to cause no less than 3 up and down motions and now just causes a single dip, to back roads with huge potholes which I used to feel for the next 20 feet and are now just a pothole. ( remember < 2000 miles on truck )
Dog Test: The most critical. I take my two 100 lb+ dogs for a ride every weekend and had to stay off of certain roads after I bought the truck. The dogs stand upright on the seats and look out the window. They would be thrown to the floor on certain roads. Well we just went for the "old" ride and guess what? They don't get thrown around anymore. ( Don't try this at home ).
Maybe Ford should try making trucks that dogs like to ride in instead of people .

Ha Ha.

I read about your Helwig rear bar and have one on order. I think you are right.
I noticed how cheap the bushings were on the stock bar.
Seems Ford has a problem with rubber. Cheap rubber bushings and cheap rubber tires.
But I do love my truck.
Thanks for posts

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FamilyRide:
Be sure to post how it goes, and any tips.

I was hoping mine would be here by now but they aren't. Looks like next weekend will be my installation.

Hopfully my front sway bar bushing kit will be here today and installed tomorrow. That'll give me a week of testing it out to see what difference the polyurethane makes.

By the way, I replaced my rear sway bar with a Helwig and posted to someone that asked, that I'd think about it harder if I had to do it again, because although I saw a difference, it wasn't that much at all.

I'm causiously retracting that now. I keep catching myself scratching my head. There are specific spots in the road I take every day that one for example, is one that I hit at anywhere from 50-70 MPH. If I can change lanes to go around I do because it's dip and rise that leaves me grabbing onto the steering wheel to keep control with the after-bobs. I'm hitting it now, and not bobing like I did. The rear sway bar shouldn't have anything to do with that unless a lot of that bobing is undetected side to side or independent right and left bobing.

It's wierd because I had accepted the fact that the Helwig didn't do much accept for hard turns, but now I'm wondering if I was grossly mistaken. There is one place on a hwy here that I haven't had a chance to test yet but may try today since I need to head that direction. It's an exit/enterance that is almost a full circle.

I'm even finding myself thinking that the OEM shocks aren't all that bad now that I'm not seeing near the bobing that I did. Could the Helwig have actually made that much difference?

I'll say this, after removing it, I could stand on the OEM swaybar and holding the end arms/links, I could bend it. Pull up on one side while holding down on the other and twist the bar an easy inch. Now you mount that under almost 6000 lbs running weight and it must have been able to twist and bend a lot more. The Helwig, was like trying to bend concrete.

Sorry for the long post but I had to share my confusion with the Helwig. It's a fair seat-of-the-pants test because it's the only thing I've done to the suspension and been running with it for about a month. Can't imagine what it'll be like with the Edelbrocks and new poly bushings in the front.....

&gt;&gt;UPDATE&lt;&lt; While I was editing this post for typo's, "ding-dong" "Hello FedEx Home Delivery on this fine rainy Saturday morning, and hello Polyurethane Front Swaybar Bushing Kit!! It'll hopfully be installed by Sunday night!
-------
&lt;&lt;Update 2&gt;&gt;
6 week wait on a special order and they shipped the bushing kit for a 4x4. I guess shocks will be installed before the bushing kit while I wait another 6 weeks......
</font>

------------------
2001 Expedition 5.4L XLT

Old 03-26-2001, 07:31 PM
redex

Thanks for the post. I started worrying at first when you listed the part numbers. Then I remembered you have a 4WD. Whew.

I found out truckperformance hasn't even shipped them yet. I talked to someone in Sales and he was very surprised. Of course I get to call back and talk to Customer Service to find out what the problem is. If I can' find out, and I don't feel comfortable, I'm adding them to my order at Summit.

I've heard that the Edelbrocks come with a strap and to not cut it off until you've got them in place. Not sure abou the fronts. I guess I'll have my floor jack ready. I'm getting stoked now

------------------
--&gt;Come share my Addiction&lt;--

Old 04-10-2001, 11:36 AM
Familyride - From where did you order the Edelbrocks, were they part #'s 3322 and 3422?

Thanks

------------------
2001 Ford Expedition - 4X2 XLT
• Arizona Beige
• Comfort and Convenience
• 3.31 Limited Slip
• 6 Disc CD Changer
• Side Air Bags
• Reverse Sensor
• Remote Starter

Old 04-14-2001, 12:20 AM
Thumbs up

That's the part numbers!

I ordered from truckperformance.com. You could get them for the same here at the online store from Roger but TPC had free shipping for a while.

You can also try summitracing.com. Since you have the part numbers you might be able to order online. But the price will be about the sam everywhere, about $68-$70 each.

------------------
  • Estate Green
  • 5.4 ltr
  • 3:55 LS rear
  • Superchip!
  • Airaid FIPK
  • Gibson S/S Swept Side Cat Back Exhaust
  • Hellwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
  • Edelbrock Performer IAS Shocks
  • Xenon Super White Head and Driving Lights
  • Clear Corners (installed then removed and reinstalled OEM's)
  • Tow Package
  • Rear Load Leveling
  • Moonroof
  • Century Child Seat!
  • Front Polyurethane Anti-Sway Bar Bushings recieved, wrong part number

--&gt;Come share my Addiction&lt;--

Quick Reply: Edelbrock shocks for 2001 question