Expedition / Navigator

help me

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2001, 09:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy help me

i have a97 expy that runs very rough from time to time as if it was running on 7 cylinders and you close the door and have keys in my pocket and you can hear the door chime going,also interior light will stay on,,seems to be electrical ,can anyone please help me? help

Old 04-14-2001, 10:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome to the site!

If you have a 5.4L engine, they are prone to have condensation from the A/C drip on the #8 coil. This "shorts" the coil and causes a misfire. If it's a 4.6L, then there could be a problem with a sparkplug wire. With either engine, a tune-up can't hurt.

As for the lights & bells, it could just be a stuck door switch. Some of the early Expeditions & F150s had a problem that caused the interior light to stay on. Look to see if the "door ajar" light is lit. If that isn't the problem, it could be the General Electronics Module (GEM). Sometimes they go bad. But, check the door first.

Let us know what you find.

------------------
1997 4x4 Expedition- 4.6L, true dual exhaust w/Ravin DI/DO, K&N air filter, SuperChip, airbox mods, Edelbrock shocks, 285/75R16 BFG ATs, 2000 F150 "XLT" wheels, 4.10 gears, Auburn LS, Clarion In-dash CD player, Smitty Bilt push bars and nerf bars.

2001 4x4 F350 SD XLT CrewCab LWB- 6.8L, Offroad Pkg, HD Suspension Pkg, 3.73LS, TT mirrors, 6-disc CD changer, Remote Keyless Entry, Sliding back glass, tinted windows, GoRhino nerf bars.
NoMo's site

Old 04-15-2001, 11:13 AM
Smile

If my memory is correct the a\c condensation line drips on the 02 sensor which will make it fail and the coolant hose above the #4 coil leaks and makes that coil fail.

Either way does you check engine lite come on?

Old 04-15-2001, 07:58 PM
thanks for the repies,i have a 4.6 check engine light would flash when running real rough then it would stay on ,i took it to a shop they plugged in the obd computer to see codes but it had no codes in it????????also door ajar will stay on sometimes for a while,,,,,i will check what you suggested but i am wondering if this whole problem is coming from the same source or do i have more than one problem.....love the truck other than this problem which has just started..i installed a rancho 4 inch suspension lift,a 2inch bodi lift,a k&n cold air filter,a super chip,a 160 thermostat,b&m shift improver kit,gibson 3inch catback exhaust with a 2 chamber flowmaster(sounds sweet),33inch cooper discoverers on 16x10 aluminum baja 2 wheels,my future plans are dynomax headers with hi flo cats and true dual exhaust,going to re gear it to probably 4:30(currently has 3:55) ,then hopefully 35 inch tires...any suggestions or criticism are welcomed. thanks again and love this site......

Old 04-16-2001, 12:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for the clarification hdlouie! Easy to tell I don't have a 5.4L either.

I think you may have multiple problems. The GEM and PCM are two different modules. GEM controls interior lights, locks, etc. while the PCM controls engine & tranny functions.