Expedition / Navigator

Anyone upgraded their Mach audio system?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2001, 09:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Anyone upgraded their Mach audio system?

Has anyone upgraded their audio system? How about security systems? Starting to catch the fever and I need ideas. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-03-2001, 04:59 PM
Ugrade or complete gutting of system? If it's the later I can give you a little insight.

Old 04-03-2001, 08:43 PM
Just a moderate upgrade. Speakers, subwoofer and maybe a more powerful amp for the sub.

Old 04-03-2001, 09:40 PM
el gato: let me know what you've done to yours.

Old 04-09-2001, 02:49 PM
I bought my X knowing I was taking everything out. Took out everything including the third seat, built a sub floor in the back housing the crossovers and four Linear Amps. The side panel that use to hold the jack now holds two 10" Illusion subs (did not like the look or sound) All work in the back was custom fiberglass to match the interior. I lost no space which was key.

In the back I put Dynaudio two ways in the doors (just the drivers, not the tweeters). The up front I have Dyn three ways plus the rear tweets built into the pillars running down the front widshield (also fiberglassed to look factory) The three way sub was put in the factory door opening while the mid and tweet were put in custom kicks at my feet. All controlled by a Nakamichi head unit.

Still doing some fine tuning but the sound is incredible. I am big on the sound and not necessarily on how loud it gets but the amps are not even at half power and you can make the X bounce.

The Dyns and the Linear Amps will run you a pretty penny, along with any custom work you have done, but mine was well worth it. I have had a couple of truck stolen in the past, and even sitting on the inside everything looks stock. But the sound is incredible.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Old 04-09-2001, 09:51 PM
el gato: that sounds like a pretty good system, you really know what you're doing. I'm more into SPL, i compete and am currently sponsored by Digital Designs, and got my X specifically to compete. Plans include, MB Quart mids and highs in factory locations, Alpine electronics, 2 DD 9515s (of course, in a huge tunable ported box), and run off of MMATS power (2 amps per sub). hoping for mid to high 150s.
I would love to see some pics of your system, sounds really impressive.

Old 04-16-2001, 08:13 PM
Hey guys I have a quick question. I did a minor upgrade, nothing big like you guys, just a Kenwood amp 300watts, with 2 fosgate 10"s, kept stock speakers and added some tweaters. The problem I'm having is I have been noticing that my battery seems like it's running low on power at times. Especially when closing the windows, my lights dim a lot and there have been times when the volume goes low. Should I go and get the Optima battery? Will that help me out or will it make no difference? What did you guys do when it came to your power source?

Old 04-16-2001, 08:27 PM
Optima yellow tops really do help, but still the strain goes on the alternator. Maybe a good alternative would be to get a capacitor to help out your electrical system. A cap stores current and releases it when the bass peaks and the amp needs more juice. kind of like a power resevoir.

Old 04-16-2001, 09:52 PM
SVTX and El Gato,

Can you please post pics of you Expeditions and sound systems? I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Robert

------------------
98 Green Eddie Baur Expedition 4x4, 5.4L
3.73 gears, Four corner LLS, tan leather
Modifications:
Stereo Attenna replaced with smaller one
Green Monochromatic Paint Job (EB trim and bumpers)
Billet grilles
18in Lexani chrome rims wrapped w/ Bridgetone Duellers H/P
MagnaFlow Dual Rear Exhaust
Air Force One Air intake
SuperChip
Lowered 1.5in all around (by Full Effect)
Front clear corner lenses
Two front/side windows tinted.
Stereo:
Alpine IVA-800 6" LCD monitor/receiver/cdplayer
Alpine 5755G Digital signal processor/cdplayer
Alpine 6 disk cd changer
Alpine NVA-N751 Navigation
Accele TV tuner w/ 2 diversity antennas mounted on each power quarter window
Accele Hi-Fi VCR custom installed in front console
Alpine 8081 digital alarm with paging system
Coming Attractions:
JL stealthbox
and possibly upgrading to 20in rims
http://www.zing.com/album/?id=4293835369

Old 04-17-2001, 02:06 PM
like i said, i'm just starting on mine, but here's a link to a good site to find some nice installs:http://w3.sounddomain.com/member_pages/search_results.pl?make=Ford&model=Expedition&SID=z bzAumJLHl8zIgVSFA__&stock_car=checked&street=check ed&show_car=checked&race=checked &lowrider=checked&off_road=checked&stock_sound=che cked&spl=checked&sq=checked

Quick Reply: Anyone upgraded their Mach audio system?