Expedition / Navigator

Chip/air question for a friend

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2001, 04:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Runnin' a Superchips chip, and an Airaid intake on my 5.4L 00' Expy. Love the setup, sound, and performance. The chip is 2nd to none. The intake is debatable. Whatever intake you choose, at least install the K&N filter.

------------------
2000 Wedgewood Blue Expy XLT 5.4L 4WD, C&C group, towing package, beige leather interior, captain's chairs, 6 CD Changer, 255/70R16, all-weather floor mats, factory fog lamps, Mobil1 5W-30 Synthetic w/ Puralator filter

MODS
Ford Bug Deflector (2/15/00)
Superchip (3/11/00)
Airaid (3/23/00)
Edelbrock IAS shocks (3/23/00)
Under Seat Locking Storage Drawer (6/6/00)
MPC Rear Air Foil (7/2/00)
Super-White Headlamps and Foglamps (1/15/01)
Gibson Swept Side catback (2/8/01)
Hellwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar (2/8/01)
Ventshade Window Ventvisors (3/4/01)

Old 04-20-2001, 10:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tell your Buddy at least get the Chip, then the FIPK and Exhaust (Catback) also helps. Believe me I have a 4.6L Expy and it is simply not enough motor for these HEAVY trucks. At least with the FIPK, Exhaust and Superchip. it makes it more responsive on the throttle side of it.

Hope this helps.

------------------
97 Expy 4.6L, 2wd XLT
Airaid Intake
Rancho 5000
Superchip
Ravin Z-77 Exhaust
Raybestos Ceramic Brake Pads

Stereo Mods:
Infiniti Kappa 5 X 7 doors
JL Audio 10" sub (rear cargo area)
Alpine Flex5 amp (under pass. seat)

Old 04-21-2001, 12:10 AM
Post Chip/air question for a friend

Hi all,

I'm normally hanging out in the lightning forum but I have a friend with a 00 expedition (4.6L) and he's looking at getting a chip and air filter setup. Could those of you with experience please let me know what you think the best setup for him is? Thanks in advance.

Adam
01 Black Lightning - 'Chipenfiltered', 'splitfired', 'billetted', and 'Grooved' thanks to Blaupunkt, Alpine, Sony, Clarion, Dynomat, and MTX

Old 04-22-2001, 04:19 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi DJANIMATE,

The Superchip is what most people are using thanks to it's superior gains and very thorough optimization of the powertrain programming. It works well in either the 4.6 or the 5.4 Expedition.

For intake kits, there are several on the market, K&N's FIPK kit, the Airaid brand, and then the Air Force 1 kit. You really can't go wrong with any of them, and he'll pick up a solid 12 hp gain on that 4.6 Expy from either of those 3 airbox elimination kits.

If you'd like to go over any details, etc. please feel free to give us a shout in email or via phone, and of course we'd be happy to speak with your friend as well, and answer any questions he may have about the Superchip for his 4.6 Expy.

Good luck with your '01 Lightning!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 04-22-2001).]

Old 04-23-2001, 11:28 AM
Does the "Superchip" void the warranty including Ford ESP?

Old 04-23-2001, 03:10 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi s76drvr,

No, the Superchip will not void any factory or extended warranty, as a matter of fact, that is *illegal*.

You are protected by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, which makes it illegal to attempt to void a warranty or deny a warranty claim just because aftermarket parts are installed on a vehicle. The only way an automaker can legally deny a warranty claim when aftermarket parts are used is if they can prove that the aftermarket part was the sole cause of damage requiring repair, and that had the aftermarket part in question not been installed, those parts would not have failed. That is very strong legal protection, so it all gets down to what you actually do to your vehicle. You can do anything you like, as long as it does not actually cause *damage*, and your warranty remains fully intact, that is the *law*.

Here is a link to give you more general info:

http://www.sema.org/fedleg/warranty

If you have any questions, or would like to go over details, etc., please feel free to give us a call, our number is listed below.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 04-23-2001, 04:18 PM
I also have a Superchip on our '00 Expy (5.4). Great improvement in throttle response, part-throttle and full throttle acceleration. This is the one vehicle I own that I have not dyno'd, but my butt-meter says a solid 15+hp gain.

I also have a K&N filter/inlet tube setup. Super easy to install, fit and finish is good.

The only other performance mod I've done is a Trans-Go shift kit. This is worth the $90 and a couple of hours of my time for sure! This with the chip give good, solid shifts...but nothing neck breaking. My wife just putzes around in the truck and she can't tell much of a difference at all. But, full throttle 1-2 = tirescratch on the up shift.

------------------
Wes Tarbox
90 LX 5.0 (10.69 @ 134.7)--597rwhp/590rwtq
98 Saleen S351 #15--431rwhp/452rwtq
99 Lightning (13.20 @ 103.8)--364rwhp/447rwtq
00 Expedition XLT 5.4
http://hometown.aol.com/wa2fst/home.htm

Old 04-24-2001, 12:01 AM
Thanks everyone, I'll pass this information on to him and point him to this fourm.

Adam
01 Black Lightning - JDM 'FlipChipenfiltered','Straightpiped', 'splitfired', 'billetted', 'Neoned', and 'Grooved' thanks to Blaupunkt, Alpine, Sony, Clarion, Dynomat, and MTX

Quick Reply: Chip/air question for a friend