Expedition / Navigator

Not real happy with K&N exhaust.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2001, 12:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Not real happy with K&N exhaust.

Had the exhaust put on today by a local shop. Only charged $50.00. Wouldn't even bothered had I known it would cost so little. Anyhow the sound is rather loud. Moderate drone around 2000 rpm. Could turn out to be annoying. I would probably return it if I hadn't had it welded on. I do notice a slight increase in mid and upper range power, but is it worth it? Live and learn.

------------------
'00 EB AWD.K&N,Whitewalls turned in.

Old 04-15-2001, 10:55 AM
Unhappy

Yes our engines drown at about 2000rpm. I had a Magnaflow muffler I took off because of the drown and freeway speeds. The drown gets to me after a while. Now Magnaflow does make a suv muffler but it was too quiet. I ended putting on a Dynomax super turbo on and it was just perfect. You can still detect the drown but not bad at all.

Old 04-15-2001, 11:51 AM
Thats why I went with the Gibson side swept.
I have a flowmaster on my 90 truck and it is loud as hell!! But I like it on THAT truck,but didnt want it on my family transportation. The Gibson is really quiet. You can hear it just slightly in the truck on acceleration,but goes away after that. I also noticed faster acceleration with the Gibson. Infact,better power all through the power band!!

------------------
2000 EB EXPY
3.55 LS
K&N
Gibson SS Exhaust
Moonroof
Superchip
Royal Purple 5w-30
01 lightning headlamps

Old 04-15-2001, 04:35 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Skank Dog,

That's an excellent choice. While there really is no such thing as "the best exhaust system" for any given vehicle due to so many different preferences among owners, the Gibson Swept-Side system would have to be about the closest thing to a "best" system for these vehicles. It's flow-engineered for towing, which means you don't lose low-end torque while gaining higher rpm horsepower like many systems can do, and it's not oo loud, you won't have any "drone" on the highway. You don't ever have to tow to get the benefit from this system, it's a hands-down winner for these heavy vehicles where torque is key.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 04-16-2001, 01:06 AM
I would have gone with the Gibson for starters if they would have clarified thier materials. Up here in the Pacific NW we get a lot of severe weather. Stainless steel is a plus for me. Gibson's warrenty is good but does not compare to Borla or K&N's. Knowing what I know now I would go with a Gibson next time around. Aside from the drone the torque is still there and top end power is good. The fit and finish of the system is great. Unlike the Gibson no trimming to clear the hitch is neccessary. Believe it or not my wife says she likes it. Either she is telling the truth or setting me up. I've been wondering if she is pregnant or not.

------------------

Old 04-16-2001, 07:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MHMCGILL-
I had the same interior drone with a Jardine catback I installed last year. After 3-4 months of that noise, my brain was numb and I took it off.
The good news is I installed a Gibson SweptSide and wah-laa!; no interior drone, and more importantly, no low-end loss.

A number of us on this board have installed the Gibson. To date, I have read of no complaints.

Just remember, we all live and learn! Good luck...

------------------
2000 Wedgewood Blue Expy XLT 5.4L 4WD, C&C group, towing package, beige leather interior, captain's chairs, 6 CD Changer, 255/70R16, all-weather floor mats, factory fog lamps, Mobil1 5W-30 Synthetic w/ Puralator filter

MODS
Ford Bug Deflector (2/15/00)
Superchip (3/11/00)
Airaid (3/23/00)
Edelbrock IAS shocks (3/23/00)
Under Seat Locking Storage Drawer (6/6/00)
MPC Rear Air Foil (7/2/00)
Super-White Headlamps and Foglamps (1/15/01)
Gibson Swept Side catback (2/8/01)
Hellwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar (2/8/01)
Ventshade Window Ventvisors (3/4/01)

Old 04-16-2001, 03:21 PM
s76- Iwouldnt advise doing it yourself! There have been several posts here about how
the piping is "crimped" on at the factory with the c clamps. They are very difficult to
remove. Took mine to the local muffler shop and he was done in about 30 minutes! He charged me $40.00. It was well worth the 40
bucks to have someone do it that knew what was going on.
The Gibson is an excellant system performance and quality wise. The power increase is the best part!!

------------------
2000 EB EXPY
3.55 LS
K&N
Gibson SS Exhaust
Moonroof
Superchip
Royal Purple 5w-30
01 lightning headlamps

Old 04-16-2001, 03:27 PM
Thanks Mike
Between the superchip and the Gibson,this station wagon on steroids really moves(quietly also I must add).!!

------------------
2000 EB EXPY
3.55 LS
K&N
Gibson SS Exhaust
Moonroof
Superchip
Royal Purple 5w-30
01 lightning headlamps

Old 04-16-2001, 03:46 PM
You don't have to buy a complete Gibson Cat-back, you can replace just the muffler. Truckperformance.com sells stainless Gibson mufflers for $125.

------------------
2000 XLT Sport 4X4 supercab
5.4 Auto, 3.55 ls, Class III Towing Package with correct radiator!!, 17" ORP tires/wheels

Mods: Rhino Liner, Extang tonneau cover, 9005 fog lights, airbox removed
Wish list: Gibson SS, Rancho RS9000s

Old 04-16-2001, 03:50 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi MHMcGILL,

Sure, we all have different needs & considerations!

I would be the first to say that if you need a stainless steel system, then I would only go with T-304 stainless steel, meaning Borla. The T-409 stuff is not worth paying more for over a good aluminized system, in my humble opinion, and I think Gibson uses T-409 for their stainless alloy. So for Gibson's exhausts, I would only go aluminized, and if I wanted stainless steel, it would have to be Borla.

You're absolutely right, it's all in the details of both your needs & situation as well as the different offerings from each manufacturer, and you just have to choose which you feel will best suit your needs.

I'm glad to hear you're happy with the results, other than the drone. The right resonator installed either before or after the muffler could make a nice difference in that drone, too.

Good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 04-16-2001, 05:57 PM
Thanks for the info Superchips. The reason I went for the K&N is I like the quality of thier other products that I use and they also use T-304 stainless like the Borla. I wanted the Borla but between thier price and the "finned tip" that they use and I don't care for, the K&N sounded like a better deal. BTW I talked to K&N today and after slightly getting the run around one of thier techs suggested making sure the jack is secure and also the spare tire. They have found that these two items in the expys can cause some noise. It sure won't hurt to check it out. Let you all know how it turns out. Oh yeah the numbers that truck performance quotes for power increase are optimistic to say the least. Figure on about half with just the cat-back. Have a good one.

------------------

Old 04-16-2001, 06:56 PM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MHMCGILL:
Had the exhaust put on today by a local shop. Only charged $50.00. Wouldn't even bothered had I known it would cost so little. Anyhow the sound is rather loud. Moderate drone around 2000 rpm. Could turn out to be annoying. I would probably return it if I hadn't had it welded on. I do notice a slight increase in mid and upper range power, but is it worth it? Live and learn.

</font>
I have a 2001 rOUSH Expedition and had the same problem with the exhaust system that they install. I went to a local muffler shop and had them install a different tailpipe. They installed a dual outlet tip with resonators for about $100 and it took care of the problem with no noticeable loss in power or performance.

Old 04-16-2001, 07:25 PM
You wouldn't by chance have pics of your Roush would you? I want to find one to see what they include and how they look.

------------------
2000 EDDIE BAUER EXPEDITION 4x2
  • Estate Green
  • 5.4 ltr
  • 3:55 LS rear
  • Superchip!
  • Airaid FIPK
  • Gibson S/S Swept Side Cat Back Exhaust
  • Hellwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
  • Edelbrock Performer IAS Shocks
  • Xenon Super White Head and Driving Lights
  • Clear Corners (installed then removed and reinstalled OEM's)
  • Tow Package
  • Rear Load Leveling
  • Moonroof
  • Century Child Seat!
  • Front Polyurethane Anti-Sway Bar Bushings recieved, wrong part number

--&gt;Come share my Addiction&lt;--

Old 04-17-2001, 12:36 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Skank Dog:
Thats why I went with the Gibson side swept.
I have a flowmaster on my 90 truck and it is loud as hell!! But I like it on THAT truck,but didnt want it on my family transportation. The Gibson is really quiet. You can hear it just slightly in the truck on acceleration,but goes away after that. I also noticed faster acceleration with the Gibson. Infact,better power all through the power band!!

</font>
How hard (and long) was it to install the Gibson System?

Old 04-17-2001, 11:11 AM
Sounds great. I'll look into the resonator option.

------------------
K&N Cat-Back

Quick Reply: Not real happy with K&N exhaust.