Expedition / Navigator

Any feed-back?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2001, 01:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Any feed-back?

My wife and I just purchased a 98 4x4 XLT Expedition. We love it so far, BUT the gas mileage is CRAZY! We just took a long (mostly highway) trip and averaged 13-14 MPG. The suprising thing is it has the 4.6 in it. Maybe it's too heavy of a vehicle for the 4.6? Also the rear doors are so heavy they don't stay open. I just about got knocked out while loading my 9 month old son. I took it back and wanted the springs/hinges replaced. They said it wouldn't make any difference, but I told them to do it anyway. When I bought it, they told me they would replace them. Other than that we love the vehicle. Anyone with some feedback? Thanks

Old 05-02-2001, 10:33 AM
Did you try any of the doors on other Expy's. I think you will find that they all work like that. It is not because the doors are heavy, in fact they are much lighter than the fronts, it is just because they are poorly dampened. As for the mileage did you not do any research before hand? These trucks are just shy of three tons. It takes alot to get momentum going. Ours is a 5.4 and according to the trip computer we get 12.9 mostly around town. Our last "97 got 13.5 with the 3.73 rearend. Look at it this way. You could buy a smaller vehicle with better mileage and have a greater chance of dieing in a accident or pay more for gas and increase your chance for life. How much is safety worth to you? I've got two young children and I'm very happy to pay the fuel for my wife and kids. Enjoy the truck, enjoy life.

------------------
'00 EB AWD.K&N,Whitewalls turned in.
K&N Cat-Back

Old 05-04-2001, 01:05 AM
Cool

Thanks for the reply. I'll answer your questions and comments in order.
I was told this by the Service adviser. I know when we purchased the vehicle I noticed the weak doors. They had agreed to correct the problem. After they looked into it, they realized it was a costly repair. They have to order the hinge assembly, have it painted at the body shop and remove and reinstall the door. They gave me every excuse why switching it would make NO differnce. They really pissed me off. I told them a new hinge is stronger than a 4 year old one. I simply said fix it, or I'll drop it off in your showroom. I told them I'd tried the polite way, but I had no problems going down to their showroom and making a major scene. They changed their tune real quick. Can you tell I got really mad over the whole deal.

No we never really looked into the mileage. We had our 95 Windstar in for a new transmission. We decided to look at the 2000 Windstars. To make a long story short.... my wife fell into love with this blue Expedition. I was havinf second thoughts through out the whole sale. My wife decided that was what she wanted. I think we got a great deal.

Does anyone know where a good place to advertise my 95 Winstar? I really need to sell it. It's in EXCELLENT codition.
(with new transmission)

Thanks

Old 05-04-2001, 01:27 PM
Good luck. Go to Edmunds in the Town Hall and look up Windstar's. In particular 95's and 96's had horrific track records for blown head gaskets (Ford even did a reimbursement after warranty) and transmissions blowing the 1st stage servo. I had a 96 and after 1 rebuilt (at 55k) with less than 14k on it, it went again. I caught on and unloaded it. Dump it on the dealer and hope for the best.

Quick Reply: Any feed-back?