Expedition / Navigator

Towing report. New 2001 Expi. EB, 5.4l -long

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2001, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Towing report. New 2001 Expi. EB, 5.4l -long

I posted this on a bass fishing board after a couple requests. I thought it might be good feedback to post here.

I finally reached the recommended 500 miles before towing. Yesterday, I hooked my Basscat Pantera Classic (19'3", single axel trailer) up for the first time to see how things would go. I did not tow long distance...only about 30 miles to see how things handled, etc. I'm comparing this to my last rig, a '98 F150 with the 4.6 Triton, as well as the '93 Bronco I had before that. The Bronco had the 5.6(351W)

The 2001 is a Eddie Bauer model, with all the toys (needless crap mostly!), 5.4 Triton, 3:55 limited slip rear end, trailer towing package with added coolers and load leveling rear end. 2wd version.

I started by trying to determine the best hitch height. I thought I would need the ball to be a little higher than it was on the F150, but that turned out to be wrong. I used a standard Reese hitch with no drop. If you look at the hitch insert from the side, it looks like an "L", with the ball mounted on what I would consider the bottom of the insert when placed into the receiver. I only try to describe this because I started with it just the opposite. with the ball mounted on "top" of the hitch. This gave me about 2 inches more height.

Anyway, placing the ball in this position turned out to be a mistake. I connected everything and took a look at how flat the trailer was. My eyes told me that the nose was a bit higher on the trailer, but when I meased frame to ground, there was only about 3/8" difference front and rear. Power-wise, it pulled very well during the initial test. I pulled it along some city streets to get a better feel, then hit the highway. I made sure I covered a couple sections with hills that I knew caused the F150 to strain a little. No problem. What I did notice though was the trailer was swaying much more than I would have liked. On curves, it would want to wander a bit. Rough spots on the road wuld cause more "hop than felt right, and it would sometimes go into a side to side sway. Only a couple inches each direction, but not right nonetheless. Back to the drawing board.

The first thing I did was swap the ball back to what most would consider "normal" position. Ball mounted on the bottom, as described above. I reconnected the boat, and while visually it might look a little more flat, it was far from a dramatic difference. On the road was a completely different story though!

I imediately noticed a difference. For the better. The trailer tracked straight and the whole rig felt much more stable. I was worried during the first ride that I might have made a BIG mistake trading in the F150. I assured myself that I did not after this second drive. I took the same path that I had initially, and I can't tell you what a difference. The curve (freeway change lanes) that caused the initial tow to almost loose control was nothing. It tracked straight and true behind the Expedition. It was then off to the same rough road section that caused to concerns, and the higher speed section that induced swaying. I did not notice eny excessive sway this time around. Again, still stable. Everything just felt right compared to that uneasy feeling I had the first time around.

In terms of power, this is a much better pulling machine that the 1998 F150 with the 4.6 V8 Triton. The 2001 Expedition with the 5.4 Triton is a much more powerful motor. Even with the added weight of the SUV. The sections that caused the F150 to drop down to second to maintain speed didn't faze the expi. It pulled very well. I never felt the need to press the pedal to the floor or drop down a gear. I did all of the towing with the overdrive in the "OFF position. On fairly flat sections, I would not be concerned about turning it back ON.

In terms of power, it is a much better pulling machine that the F150. In comparison to the Bronco, it prett similar. It's been awhile since I've had the Bronco so it's difficult to say for sure. The Bronco had plenty of power, and might have been a little "peppier" (is that a word?)

Ride quality. Overall, I'm pleased with the ride under tow, especially after getting the hitch right. Maybe not quite as smooth as the longer wheelbase supercab truck. Certainly better than the shorter wheelbase Bronco. The Expedition showed a rougher ride with the hitch not configured properly, and did tend to buck a little with the trailer. After I changed it though, everything was fine. Stable and a full feeling of control. The Expedition actually feels more manuverable than the F150 did. A little less nimble than the Bronco. While backing the trailer, there are some new blind spots that I'll need to adjust to. That will just take a little time. I felt like a complete rookie while parking the boat back in it's usual spot. With the truck, it was wham bamm done.

All in all, I'm pleased so far. Time will tell for sure, but I think the Expedition was the right choice. I still miss "my truck", but the X is more practicle for the family, and they love it. Plenty of pulling power. Good solid ride. I will probably add a Hellwig anti-sway bar to eliminate some of the body roll.

It's a winner!

Mike

------------------
The old stuff:
98,White 150 supercab XLT, 3.55LS, tow pack, cd changer, SnugTop hard tonneau, DynoMax cat back

Time for the new!
2001 Expi Eddie Bauer, 5.4, 3.55 LS, Onboard babysitter (TV/VCR entertainment center)
No mods...YET!

Old 05-06-2001, 01:51 PM
Thumbs up

Great post!!! I don't tow, but with my mods, I want to hook up to about 8000lb's just because. Seriously, I would have never considered the ball position. Although, I've wondered whether I would need a straight, drop or raised ball. Of course that's depends on the trailer and the tongue I'm sure.

It would be great to see pictures of what worked and what didn't. I have to admit, I'm not real clear on what you tried at first and what worked.

Again, thanks. I love these boards.

By the way, to keep from spending a whole lot, you might try polyurethane anti-sway bar bushings, front and rear. I just installed front bushings on mine last night. I only got to drive it a mile or so in the rain and in the dark but noticed the front end was more tame in hard corners etc. I would wonder if just bushings would improve the rear as much. Although I'm sure the Helwig I replaced the OEM with does a better job, I wonder if the $100 difference is worth the differnce in performance.

I got the fronts from Summit Racing for $29 and some change. They're special order so they take about 4-5 weeks to get. Part number is 4.5173G and made by Energy Suspension. I also got my Helwig from them. For the Expy it was $129 but free shipping. Something else that doesn't hurt, Edelbrock IAS's.

------------------
2000 EDDIE BAUER EXPEDITION 4x2
-->Follow Me...<--

[This message has been edited by FamilyRide (edited 05-06-2001).]

Old 05-07-2001, 12:27 AM
Talking

Hey thanks for the info. Some day I want to pull something, and being a rookie I need all the info I can get.

------------------
99 Expedition XLT,5.4L,4X4,3.73LS,285-75-16 KO'S9(old 17"AT/S),Airaid Intake,Superchip,Edlebrock shocks,Dynomax Super Turbo 3",Helwig Sway Arm,Polk speakers

http://home.earthlink.net/~louladot/

Old 02-20-2007, 01:02 PM
hitch hight

I pull trailers up and down Baja all of the time and I have gotten to be a expert in doing so. it is very important that the hitch be adjusted so the trailer frame is level with the ground. it is very dangerous to tow with the trailer point up at the back of the tow vehicle. also make sure you lode at least 60 % of your lode in front of your Axel of your trailer.

if your truck drops more than 2 inches in the rear with the Waite of the trailer use a equalizing hitch.

Quick Reply: Towing report. New 2001 Expi. EB, 5.4l -long