Expedition / Navigator

0-60 times in an Expy

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2001, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 0-60 times in an Expy

I've been digging for 0-60 times and found quite a few. Not very many for Expy's though.
Well I did a couple runs with the ol' stop watch just for grins.

Weather - Mid 80's and humid
Fuel - Close to full tank (about 28 gallons) of Texaco, Power Prem of course

1st - ?? (where did those 2 Grapevine Police cars come from)
2nd - 8.22
3rd - 8.34

I did it letting it shift on it's own with OD on as with normal driving and from idle. I was on good, dry very new concrete roads so I got no detectable tire spin at all (as if with 6000#'s it would light'm up). I was on an older asphalt road recently and for grins did my first WOT from idle and actually got tire spin (3:55 LS).

I thought for this size and weight vehicle those are pretty respectable numbers. So now I don't have to worry if I'm late to the soccer field (Ok, my daughters to young for soccer yet, but it's good to know I'm prepared)

------------------
2000 EDDIE BAUER EXPEDITION 4x2
-->Follow Me...<--

Old 05-10-2001, 03:45 PM
I posted this back on 4/17/2000 under the subject:
G-Tech runs: 0-60, 1/4 mile, and Horsepower posted!

I had a chance to do some G-Tech Pro runs with my 1998 2wd Expedition 5.4 to get 0-60, 1/4 mile, and Horsepower data. The G-Tech Pro is an accelerometer based, automotive performance meter. It simply plugs into the cigarette lighter and measures: 0 -60 & 1/4 times, G-Force, Braking and Horsepower. For more info on the G-Tech pro go here: http://www.gtechpro.com/
My Expedition:
1998 Eddie Bauer 2wd
3.73 LS axle
Rear Air Suspension
Superchip
WMS Velocity Tube/ Paper filter
Magnaflow 3" Cat-Back SUV exhaust system http://www.magnaflow.com/parts/ford/s15608.htm
275/75/16 Bridgestone HT tires
weight - 5360 lbs without driver/5600lbs with driver (hey, I'm 6 foot 8 , I'm allowed to be 240!) - weighed at new local digital scale(includes full tank-30 gallons of gas, third seat, baby seat and stroller)

Conditions:
elevation-1270 feet, 70 degrees, no wind, a 1/2 mile stretch of extremely flat (recorded times nearly identical each direction), deserted, smooth road in an industrial complex

Results of 12 runs, averaged by category:

0-60mph
8.79 seconds

1/4 mile
16.95 @ 84.3 mph

Horsepower
225 HP

I then corrected the numbers for elevation and G-Tech's stated variance in each test ( http://www.gtechpro.com/accu.html ) G-Tech provides error data for each test, like +/- 3hp varience for the HP test, so I added time for error on 0-60 and ET and subtracted for MPH and HP to be on the conservative side.

Corrected numbers:

0-60
8.76 seconds

1/4 mile
16.8 @ 84.6 (probably 82mph on a real track)

Horsepower:
227 HP
estimated 282 HP / 380 TQ at the crank

I used 19.6% as drivetrain loss (seems to be average drivetrain loss after searching through dozens of posts on dynoing F-150/ Expys).

That is nice improvement over Motor Trend's April 1997 test of a 1997 Expedition XLT 230 HP/325 TQ 5.4 4wd of 0-60 in 9.8 and a 1/4 mile of 17.3 @ 77.6mph.

I know up front that the data from a G-Tech has error, and it's not a $139 chassis dyno or day at the track, but I have seen folks in my other car club who have had chances to use it at the track and compare it to dyno numbers seem to agree that it is fairly accurate-especially for the money.

I just had a lot of fun doing it, and am pleased to get an estimated 52 horsepower gain for $590. That's only $11.35 per HP- an unbelievable bargain compared to the $69 per HP gain on my 93 Taurus SHO! The intake, exhaust and chip seem to be a great upgrade trio for the Expy. I love my Expy!

------------------
1998 Expy EB
5.4, 2WD, 3.73LS
Magnaflow cat-back
WMS Velocity Tube/K&N
Superchip
275/70/16 Bridgestone HT's
Billet Grilles/ Taurus emblem

Old 05-11-2001, 04:58 AM
Question

Familyride,

I've recently purchased my Eddie Bauer Expedition a month ago and I was hoping you could help. Where did you get your super white "driving" lights. I have the super white head lights but I can't find the H2 driving lights anywhere.

Thank you in advance for trying to help me with this.

Brian

Old 05-11-2001, 07:47 AM
Arrow

b2ent01

Welcome to the boards.

Well, that's a good question. I had heard that someone used 9005 (highbeam) in them with very minimal hacking on the bulb sucket to make them fit, so I got 9006's (low beam) thinking the 9005's would be too bright. Well I had to hack the bajeebees out of them to modify the bulb to fit. They fit, and pretty tight.

I don't know what year your's is but mine and I thought all other years had 9145's for the driving lights. I know Roger at the online store sells them. Last I knew for about $49. I went the eBay route and bought the 9006's for $16. It sounds like the 9005's really do fit better with only minimal trimming of the tabs. The 9006's needed that plus the diameter of the base was about 1mm to large so I had to grind it all the way around.

So, a simple questions that should have had a simple answer. You can search and find others that have used the 9005's but I also know that for example, jmartinb who alos posts out here, bought the 9145's from the online store and they fit. I think Roger actually uses another bulb and modify's it to the spec of the 9145 and I think calls is a 9145x. It's possible he modifys a 9006x; at least I think that's what I read in a real old post when I searched for it.

By the way, I now think that the 9005's would have been ok and not too bright, but am happy with the hacked, I mean "modified" 9006's I did.

Good luck with it.

------------------
-->Follow Me...<--

Old 07-03-2001, 11:47 AM
superchip

HI Familyman

I am a new member. I have a 99 expy 5.4
and I want to know how good is the SUPERCHIP ?

I have a K&N filtercharger

I also have a custom dual exhaust (flowmaster)with rear exist
under the trailer hitch.

I want more power and wanted your advise.

thanks

Originally posted by FamilyRide
b2ent01

Welcome to the boards.

Well, that's a good question. I had heard that someone used 9005 (highbeam) in them with very minimal hacking on the bulb sucket to make them fit, so I got 9006's (low beam) thinking the 9005's would be too bright. Well I had to hack the bajeebees out of them to modify the bulb to fit. They fit, and pretty tight.

I don't know what year your's is but mine and I thought all other years had 9145's for the driving lights. I know Roger at the online store sells them. Last I knew for about $49. I went the eBay route and bought the 9006's for $16. It sounds like the 9005's really do fit better with only minimal trimming of the tabs. The 9006's needed that plus the diameter of the base was about 1mm to large so I had to grind it all the way around.

So, a simple questions that should have had a simple answer. You can search and find others that have used the 9005's but I also know that for example, jmartinb who alos posts out here, bought the 9145's from the online store and they fit. I think Roger actually uses another bulb and modify's it to the spec of the 9145 and I think calls is a 9145x. It's possible he modifys a 9006x; at least I think that's what I read in a real old post when I searched for it.

By the way, I now think that the 9005's would have been ok and not too bright, but am happy with the hacked, I mean "modified" 9006's I did.

Good luck with it.

------------------
-->Follow Me...<--

Old 07-04-2001, 12:14 AM
Thumbs up Biggest Bang for the Buck!

BIGREDEXPY

Welcome to the boards. You're going to get addicted. This is a great place.

As for the Superchip, best bang for the buck I think. If for nothing else but the shift improvements. This is a real attention getting and always causes contorversy, but I'm one of the lucky ones that has seen and significant increase in MPG too. Of course you can't beat on it and get great milage (well great for 5500+ lb SUV).

For a couple hindred or so, it's well worth it. Search on posts that I've done as well as others. I know I've put people to sleep with the number of posts I have talking about the Superchip.

Also post in Computer Chips (best place to search too). I bought mine from Mike Troyer who is a contributing vendor to the site. He's great. If you want something custom, he can set you up.

I haven't done anything to mine in a while so I'm scratching my head right now trying to figure out what's next. I may be replacing the accumulator with a "built" one since I'm close to time t service the tranny. New accumlator to get it shifting even better, and Mobil 1 ATF. I'm also looking into electric fans and underdrive pulleys. Still researching those though.

Good luck with it.

Old 07-05-2001, 09:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Hey 'Ride-

It's been a little while. I'm in the same boat...not having done much to the Expy in a while. Had a few issues with it lately. 1) One of the fog lamp super whites I purchased from the Online Store blew out. No apparent reason. 2) The parking brake cable snapped.

I replaced the superwhites, and am tempted to send them back to Roger. The Expy is going in for service next week. The cable will get fixed, the tranny completely flushed and filled with Mobil 1 Mecron Synthetic, and an oil change, and the dam* exhaust banging addressed.

So far, I really like the Michelin Cross Terrains. They are fine in the rain and on dry payment.

Things okay with your ride?

Old 07-05-2001, 09:55 AM
Thumbs up It has been a while.....

I've been waiting for one of my driving lights to blow but so far, everything is great. I use the driving lights a whole lot more now with the parking lights since the switch mod.

I'm in the same boat with the tranny. I just rolled 25k miles so I'm planning my attack on servicing it. For even better shifting, I'm tempted to buy the accumulator that Factory_Tech builds and are sold through PSP (in the Ligntning forums). They also include the 4x4 pan and filter (about 2 quarts more but has a drain plug). If I do that, I have to convince myself to be ready to drain TC and pan while I install the accumulator. At least it's much easier than doing a shift kit myself. All the detail work is done.

What did you use for your replacement superwhites? I've heard the 9005's fit allmost perfectly. I went with 9006 (low beams) which were a PITA to modify.

I'm also thinking about electric fans and maybe underdrive pulleys. I'd like to find someone that's done one or both on an Expy, hopefully towing with it, and see how it's gone. I'm concernes about the underdrive pulleys being more problem and they do good.

Old 07-05-2001, 01:52 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Family Ride,

We don't sell them of course, but just to give you some of the feedback we get from our F-150 & Expedition customers who have installed both 2-piece and 3-piece underdrive pulley sets, they've all liked them. The only downside we've heard, and only rarely, is that when idling in traffic in the hottest parts of the Summer, you may not have full voltage and thus your A/C fan will put out a bit less until you get to about 800-900 rpm, by which point you've got full power, but it's nothing "major" from all the reports we've gotten back, and none of our customers have reported taking them back off.

Typical gains average 11-12 horsepower from a 3-piece set, and 7-8 horsepower from a 2-piece set.

I hope that helps a bit, & good luck!

Old 07-05-2001, 05:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Good to hear from you...

I went with the 9005 from a performance shop up the street. Since he's the only one who sells this brand in town, he's willing to put a 1 year warranty on the bulbs. For $20, I figured, "Hell ya!".

What does the "accumulator" do exactly? What kind of price tag is involved and will it affect the tranny warranty? Is there a difference in them between your Expy (4x2) and mine (4x4)?

As for the pulleys, same question. Anything to the warranty? How does changing the pulleys increase the HP? Is it a DIY effort, or does a local jobber need to handle it?

Currently, I'm focusing on upgrading the sound system in mine. I don't have the MACH system, and am looking to hurt my eardrums a little more. That way, I can't hear myself swearing during my rounds of golf!

Old 07-05-2001, 06:42 PM
Thumbs up Warranty, oh ya that

Well I'd have to say a resounding yes, the accumulator replacement would pretty much kill a warranty, if they could tell.

If you install a shift kit, you're modifying the accumulator. In this case, this guy builds the accumulator itself with the mods. So, all I have to do is drop mine and bolt up his, voila, instant shift kit! It's about $225 for the accumulator with new pan and filter. I think it's not bad at all. I picture myself dropping springs and ***** and drilling the wrong thing if I try to do a shift kit. (ok, I'm not that bad but this way is easier)

The ulley's are still on my mind. Oh, thanks Mike for the reply, that's pretty much what I keep hearing. The pulley's don't make HP, they simply reduce the amount of drag on the engine from accessories thus freeing up HP. Same with the electric fans. They (or it) reduces the amount of drag on the engine. Both should allow quicker rev and just an overall less burdoned engine, putting that power on the ground. Those with a shift kit (that pretty much just shortens the shift time greatly) keeps more power hitting the ground more efficiently. We'll see. All that together is about $600-$800 (depending on the fans) and I want to make sure I'm goin to be happy with the results.

Since this is the "0-60" thread, the results would be good, if I would then drop my 0-60 to 7 sec or so.

Old 07-06-2001, 11:57 AM
Re: 0-60 times in an Expy

Whazzup Famiyman

How good are those's Eddelbrock IAS Shocks ?
How much did you pay for them ?
Did you replace all 4 or just the front ?

Did you do the work yourself and had it done professionally ?

Thanks for you input

Originally posted by FamilyRide
I've been digging for 0-60 times and found quite a few. Not very many for Expy's though.
Well I did a couple runs with the ol' stop watch just for grins.

Weather - Mid 80's and humid
Fuel - Close to full tank (about 28 gallons) of Texaco, Power Prem of course

1st - ?? (where did those 2 Grapevine Police cars come from)
2nd - 8.22
3rd - 8.34

I did it letting it shift on it's own with OD on as with normal driving and from idle. I was on good, dry very new concrete roads so I got no detectable tire spin at all (as if with 6000#'s it would light'm up). I was on an older asphalt road recently and for grins did my first WOT from idle and actually got tire spin (3:55 LS).

I thought for this size and weight vehicle those are pretty respectable numbers. So now I don't have to worry if I'm late to the soccer field (Ok, my daughters to young for soccer yet, but it's good to know I'm prepared)

------------------
-->Follow Me...<--

Old 07-06-2001, 01:03 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Family Ride,

Exactly correct, while underdrive pulleys & converting over to electric cooling fans will not technically increase the engine's power output directly in the same way that engine modifications will, they do increase the amount of power getting to the rear wheels from the reduction in parasitic losses, thus achieving the same basic thing, getting more power to the ground and making the vehicle quicker.

This response is also for others in this thread who wanted to know just how those parts work, I know you know all of this Family Ride.

Old 07-16-2001, 01:24 PM
Grapevine cops got me for 81 in a 55 on FM2499 going back to Flower Mound. I was driving my 325is, had been up for 24 hours from Vegas and it was 1am in the morning. That left a mark!!

Old 07-16-2001, 01:41 PM
Also Family Ride,

You need to come up here to Flower Mound next month when I get that Airaid, Gibson, and Superchip for my 2001 EB Expy. It is setup just like your 5.4/3.55LS. I was going to order all about July 30. That exhaust looks like it should come off easy, they have put a spacer on the bolt so that it should not have squeazed the pipes so they will not come apart. I am hoping only 3700 miles on it will help also. That being done all on one setting should be pretty fun to drive afterwards!!

Quick Reply: 0-60 times in an Expy