Expedition / Navigator

transmission grinding concern

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
transmission grinding concern

Hi everyone,

So I've had the downshift issue fixed before, but I think it may have caused something else because I havent had this new issue prior to this. Basically the noise is somewhat like gears grinding and it happens (randomly) when I suddenly stomp on gas. For example, I'm cruising on the freeway around 35mph in traffic and I see an opening on another lane. So I decide to accelerate by stomping on gas. The tranny slightly hesitates but finally catches on and then I hear the 'grind' noise. I've tried to simulate the problem and have been able to on a few times. I've also tested it with O/D turned off, but I have not been able to run into the problem. Not sure if there's any relation. I've already brought it up with Ford, but as expected, "couldnt simulate it". Any ideas?

Thanks!

Edit...it's an 08 model btw.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Originally Posted by bewtew
Hi everyone,

So I've had the downshift issue fixed before, but I think it may have caused something else because I havent had this new issue prior to this. Basically the noise is somewhat like gears grinding and it happens (randomly) when I suddenly stomp on gas. For example, I'm cruising on the freeway around 35mph in traffic and I see an opening on another lane. So I decide to accelerate by stomping on gas. The tranny slightly hesitates but finally catches on and then I hear the 'grind' noise. I've tried to simulate the problem and have been able to on a few times. I've also tested it with O/D turned off, but I have not been able to run into the problem. Not sure if there's any relation. I've already brought it up with Ford, but as expected, "couldnt simulate it". Any ideas?

Thanks!

Edit...it's an 08 model btw.

That sounds something like what my wife is describing with her '08 Expy... she says it doesn't sound right when she accelerates to get on the freeway. She described it more as a whine or a roar like the engine is reving and the trans is not catching... I've not heard exactly what she's talking about so I can't verify what it sounds like.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:07 PM
Be wary of sticking fan clutch fooling you into thinking you have transmission problems. When the fan clutch slips, it will roar not quite in sync with shifts and sounds like transmission problems.

Old 10-14-2009, 03:22 AM
Originally Posted by linusb212
Be wary of sticking fan clutch fooling you into thinking you have transmission problems. When the fan clutch slips, it will roar not quite in sync with shifts and sounds like transmission problems.
That's a good thought, but I'm sure it's tranny related because A) I can feel the hesitation when i stomp on gas, B) I can never replicate it when O/D is off and C) the noise seems to be coming from just below the console.

Old 10-29-2009, 05:04 PM
Just wondering

bewtew by any chance do you have A4WD on your truck? and if so did you change the front tires or are they a different size or worn out more then the backs? Because if this sounds like something I have had on my 00 Expy and the problem was that I had changed the front tires and not the back and the computer thought the I had wheel slip and was trying to engage full 4X4 when I was not necessary. I almost ended up changing my front dif because of the noise. So check your tires because even 1/4" difference can cause this grinding sound. This is an occurrence on A4WD Expy trucks. Hope this helps if not, I hope you get it fixed.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:07 AM
Originally Posted by FordTrucks83
bewtew by any chance do you have A4WD on your truck? and if so did you change the front tires or are they a different size or worn out more then the backs? Because if this sounds like something I have had on my 00 Expy and the problem was that I had changed the front tires and not the back and the computer thought the I had wheel slip and was trying to engage full 4X4 when I was not necessary. I almost ended up changing my front dif because of the noise. So check your tires because even 1/4" difference can cause this grinding sound. This is an occurrence on A4WD Expy trucks. Hope this helps if not, I hope you get it fixed.
One of the selections on the dial is 4A but it's always set to 2WD. I recently replaced all tires which were pretty worn with a set of bfg a/t. However, even now I still randomly experience the 'grinding' noise when i do a sudden acceleration. Not sure what/how else to check or troubleshoot, although what you have mentioned is a possibility.

Btw, when will I ever use 4A? Thanks!

Quick Reply: transmission grinding concern