Expedition / Navigator

Need Idea's

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 02:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Idea's

Alright so I know the 97-01 Expeditions come with 5.4L 2v motors, they also come with 4.6L 2v as well or 3v?

Anyhow I wanna eventually yank the motor out, I know the 98-04 Lincoln Navigators use the 5.4L 4V DOHC engine. I have looked at both that motor and also a Lightning 5.4L 2v sohc with a s/c on top.

I am just wondering what would be a better idea 03-04 Cobra 4.6L 4v, what would need to be down computer wise ECM/PCM, can I change the pin points around on a 4.6L 2 or 3v ECU to accept a 4v? or would it be easier to get it reflashed.

If I did the 5.4L 4v from the navigator I would probably just use the PCM/ECU and wiring harness from that.

Now here's where it gets crazy though about putting a GT500 4v into it as well, but it be nuts to spend 13-14 k on a motor like that, I know its been done on a 04-06 version F-150 its being done as we speak.

I just need some idea's. because I know either way the motor in that truck will probably blow by the time I get it.

Is there any motor I could swap that's a direct PNP or no? I know if I got a 03-up expedition Id swap out the 3v and put in the Intech 4v like I mentioning before but only that would be a 05-06 version. or maybe I would swap in the GT500 motor, depending on if everything was plug and play.

Old 10-13-2009, 03:20 PM
I may even get a MMR Built engine for like 2800 I am obviously getting the 4v.

MMR 5.4 Street Mod 800 (up to 800HP) 2V, 3V or 4V

*NEW Cast Iron 5.4 Block

*New 4340 4.165 Stroke Forged Crankshaft w/micro polished journals at no extra charge

*New MMR 4340 6.658 H-beam Rods

*New Forged Manley pistons, Low compression for Blower/turbo

*Speed Pro file fit rings (precision file fit to your application, nitrous, blower, turbo or N/A)

*Clevite Performance Rod and Main bearings

*Complete Pro Assembly and Balancing for the smoothest, highest revving shortblock available, Pre-Lubricated with Royal Purple Assembly Lube and spin tested. Lastly 3 technicians sign off on your new engine prior to packaging and crating.

Shortblock Options:

Coated Pistons (ceramic dome/teflon skirt) $399.99

MMR Street/Racing Oil Pump (highly recommended) + $159.99

MMR/Felpro Extreme Duty Headgaskets + $169.99

ARP Headstuds +$269.99

ARP Mainstuds (recommended for 600+HP) +169.99

MMR windage tray and hardware kit (+15HP) + 129.99

Does this seem reasonable.

Old 10-13-2009, 09:09 PM
If you really want to do a complete engine overhaul check out JDM engineering...they have a couple great 5.4 blocks for our applications...if you want to go really overboard you can talk to them about how they put the ford gt block in an f150...pretty sweet stuff

Old 10-13-2009, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by BJohnson11
If you really want to do a complete engine overhaul check out JDM engineering...they have a couple great 5.4 blocks for our applications...if you want to go really overboard you can talk to them about how they put the ford gt block in an f150...pretty sweet stuff
Ha thanks man, I am not looking to go to overboard with this, I just something that's a direct swap with a few mods to it. that's what I neglected to get a 5.4L 4v out of an 98-04 Navigator, I was hoping to swap the whole PCM/ECU over without issues, since the 98-02 Navigator/Expedition are basically the same truck. I am probably gonna Put Ford GT Cams and Valve springs in the heads and probably port and polish them, I may try to see if I can get a set of Ford GT heads or GT500 heads and put them on without issues. Ill probably get the motor out of a junkyard for a few hundred bucks.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:34 AM
anyone? I figured out I can't use GT500/GT heads without a custom intake manifold so that's out of question. Would It be cheaper to get a Ford GT WS Block and just throw a New Crankshaft, Pistons, Valve Springs, and Ford GT Cams in it, or do you think the GT cams won't be suitable for truck applications. Ill still be able to use a Navigator harness with this engine right, since I won't be using GT heads so I won't have to worry about the dual injectors.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:19 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what vehicle do you currently have?

there is a member here who swapped his 4.6 to a 5.4 2v in his late 90's Expy. Can't remember his name, but he has a quote in the signature saying that 4.6's are only good for boat anchors.

I personally would grab a 03/04 Harley 5.4 2v and do that swap. relatively painless, and you wouldn't need many things to make it work. and that motor can lay down some serious HP when stock.

they aren't that expensive either.

all the other stuff is fun if you ahve the budget. but not really feasable for those looking to do it on the cheap. figure about $3k for a Harley Swap if you currently have a 5.4 2v in there. bump it to about $4,000 if you have a 4.6 since you'll need the bigger radiator, trans cooler, and a few odds n' ends.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:23 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
camarothatcould

he is the one who did the 4.6 to 5.4 swap. I'd drop him a line.

Old 10-18-2009, 05:26 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Stillen GLE
Alright so I know the 97-01 Expeditions come with 5.4L 2v motors, they also come with 4.6L 2v as well or 3v?

Anyhow I wanna eventually yank the motor out, I know the 98-04 Lincoln Navigators use the 5.4L 4V DOHC engine. I have looked at both that motor and also a Lightning 5.4L 2v sohc with a s/c on top.

I am just wondering what would be a better idea 03-04 Cobra 4.6L 4v, what would need to be down computer wise ECM/PCM, can I change the pin points around on a 4.6L 2 or 3v ECU to accept a 4v? or would it be easier to get it reflashed.

If I did the 5.4L 4v from the navigator I would probably just use the PCM/ECU and wiring harness from that.

Now here's where it gets crazy though about putting a GT500 4v into it as well, but it be nuts to spend 13-14 k on a motor like that, I know its been done on a 04-06 version F-150 its being done as we speak.

I just need some idea's. because I know either way the motor in that truck will probably blow by the time I get it.

Is there any motor I could swap that's a direct PNP or no? I know if I got a 03-up expedition Id swap out the 3v and put in the Intech 4v like I mentioning before but only that would be a 05-06 version. or maybe I would swap in the GT500 motor, depending on if everything was plug and play.

#1 your research has yielded you a bunch of false info

#2 what motor do you have now? what year is your expy?

#3 if you use a 2 or a 4 valve motor you will not need to change your ecm unless you change out transmissions to a different unit

#4 if you have a 4.6 then go with a 5.4 2 valve it'll be the easiest simplest swap for you...

#5 feel free to use the search feature it's there for a reason and this topic has been beaten to death...

Old 10-19-2009, 10:47 AM
Originally Posted by tarajerame
#1 your research has yielded you a bunch of false info

#2 what motor do you have now? what year is your expy?

#3 if you use a 2 or a 4 valve motor you will not need to change your ecm unless you change out transmissions to a different unit

#4 if you have a 4.6 then go with a 5.4 2 valve it'll be the easiest simplest swap for you...

#5 feel free to use the search feature it's there for a reason and this topic has been beaten to death...
Yea I Plan to use the 4v ECM. Yes ill search see if I can find any detailed threads.

Quick Reply: Need Idea's