Expedition / Navigator

Expedition 2010 vs others

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 10:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Expedition 2010 vs others

I have been looking at others ie Toyota Sequoia, GM products, trying to figure out the plus's and minus's of buying a Expedition. Mileage and cost. Any opinions good/bad would be helpful.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:55 AM
My father has an 07 Suburban so I got and up close and personal about the likes and dislikes between his and my 07 Expedition.

1. I'm 6'4 the Expy has more headroom with a sunroof then a Suburban with a sunroof.
2. Seating position behind the wheel, Suburban seat sits a bit off dead center behind the wheel.
3. Rear bucket seats in both trucks, Expy has more headroom, legroom for entering and exiting.
4. Power folding third row, I always see my Dad taking his seat in and out leaving it sitting around the garage floor when I visit his house. The Expy folds flat so I can go from carrying 7 people to hauling camping gear in a matter of seconds, (this is one of my favorite features between the 2)
5.Rear power quarter glass opens on some Expy models Suburban offers none.
6.Expy tows more then Suburban, big issue for me as I own a travel trailer.

Suburban pluses

1.back up camera was offered in 07 models, Ford does not until 08.
2 Suburban rides better on factory 20" wheels then mine on factory 20"s
3.Expy has a transmission issue, sometimes jerking adn shuddering while shifting" Its a common issue" is what Ford tells me.

that's just a few that I came up with off the top of my head, hope that helps you decision making.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Folding 3rd row sold my wife. Ive always been Ford either way. We had a Suburban and though nice, just didnt satisfy me. I believe the GM products will get better mpg, but not enough to pull me back.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:32 AM
The folding flat rear seats sold us as well. The other vehicles either had them fold forward compromising storage space or required to be removed completely.

Old 11-14-2009, 03:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree. The third row seat's ability to fold flat is a huge advantage.

Old 11-15-2009, 12:08 AM
yeah the 3rd row seats is a huge advantage, and i dont know about you guys but i feel like the tahoe/yukon/escalde rear doors are way to small theres not enough room IMO to get in and out comfortably

Old 12-13-2009, 11:20 PM
I had a leased 07 Suburban that I recently turned back in last summer. I bought an 09 Exp KR EL. The main reasons I switched from the Suburban to the Xpy for me, was #1, like everone else said, the power folding flat rear seats in the Xpy, vs having to fight those heavy Suburban seats in and out of the truck. Number 2 was king Ranch leather is a very goog quality leather, and my third reason was the new Sync/Travel link nav system.

Trending Topics

Old 12-14-2009, 10:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Our next Expy will be the EL.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:43 PM
Is the EL worth the price difference? I am about a day away from pulling the trigger on a 2010 Expy Limited and have been debating the EL thing... it's like 2-3k difference.

And anyone who has the Ford Sync/Navigation system, how good is it? I have a Kenwood w/ Garmin/XM setup. I don't know if I should spend the money on upgrading.

Last edited by kuruption; 12-15-2009 at 10:48 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:43 AM
It all depends on what your needs are. I figured if I was going to get an SUV, I might as well get one worth while. I was all set to buy a diesel Excursion, but the wife wouldn't allow it.

I think the EL's are 18 or so inches longer than the regular body making the area behind the rear seats more usable, when the seats are upright, instead of somewhat usable in the regular Expedition. After the diesel Excursion was shot down, I looked for quite some time for an EL, limited or EB, because I wanted the extra cargo, but couldn't find one in my price range. I settled for a reg EB in excellent condition and purchased a hitch cargo rack to help with my storage....probably the best $50 I've ever spent.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:24 PM
Originally Posted by kuruption
Is the EL worth the price difference? I am about a day away from pulling the trigger on a 2010 Expy Limited and have been debating the EL thing... it's like 2-3k difference.

And anyone who has the Ford Sync/Navigation system, how good is it? I have a Kenwood w/ Garmin/XM setup. I don't know if I should spend the money on upgrading.
The Sync NAV is about the coolest NAV system I have seen on the market, like I mentioned it was one of the 3 main reasons I went with a Ford this time.

The Travel link feature is AWESOME. Press a button and see the weather forcast, press another and pull up weather radar overlaying your position.

You can call up movie listings and times for theaters in the area, then press a button it will guid you to the theater.

Same thing with Gas stations, and also gas prices at those stations, selct the one you want press a button and it guides you right to the station.

Theres more, but those alone were enough to convince me it was about the best NAV system I have seen. I have had NAV in about everything I have owned for the past several years. GM< DODGE, and FORDs.

Old 01-21-2010, 10:23 AM
I have an '07 Suburban and I am currently looking to buy another SUV. Our Suburban has been a great vehicle.....with a couple of exceptions.

First, my 14 year old daughter is almost 6ft tall. The Suburban is hard for her to get in and out of and she has limited leg room. Long trip over Thanksgiving was rough on her.

Secondly.....I have found if you fully load the Suburban, the front end gets VERY LIGHT. It then drifts and wanders. It will flat out wear you out on a long trip. Have had everything checked....all is good and I am told this is an issue with all of them.

Looking at a regular length Expy right now. 4x2 Limited. In test driving it, what amazed me was its maneuverability vs. the Suburban. I think you can get away with a reg. length Expediation because of the fold flat seats. Rarely do I need both seating AND cargo.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:28 PM
Originally Posted by Brian M
I have an '07 Suburban and I am currently looking to buy another SUV. Our Suburban has been a great vehicle.....with a couple of exceptions.

First, my 14 year old daughter is almost 6ft tall. The Suburban is hard for her to get in and out of and she has limited leg room. Long trip over Thanksgiving was rough on her.

Secondly.....I have found if you fully load the Suburban, the front end gets VERY LIGHT. It then drifts and wanders. It will flat out wear you out on a long trip. Have had everything checked....all is good and I am told this is an issue with all of them.

Looking at a regular length Expy right now. 4x2 Limited. In test driving it, what amazed me was its maneuverability vs. the Suburban. I think you can get away with a reg. length Expediation because of the fold flat seats. Rarely do I need both seating AND cargo.
I went from a 07 new body Suburban to an EL Expy last summer. I had read this somewhere, and having had both I it appears to be true, the Suburban second row has a little more leg room than the second row in the Expy, but the 3rd row is where the Expy really out shined the Suburbans 3rd row, in leg room, comfort and the fold flat feature was really handy, even in the EL, I use those fold flat buttons quite a bit, and that was one of the top reasons I switched to the Expy from the Suburban, Fuel mileage seems about the same so far. Mixed driving I would say they average out about the same, on long highway trips the Expy seems to do a littly better then the Suburban, probably do to the 6 speed, where my suburban had a 4 speed trans, that said the new Suburbans also have 6 speed autos now. As far as manoverabilty the shorter wheelbase on either one makes a big difference, the Tahoe is the same way as what you noticed in the shorter version of the Expedition.

Other then the fold flat rear seats, the other feature as strange as it sounds that really swayed me to the Ford this time, was the Sync NAV system. The Sync NAV is in a class all by itself, where techno gadgets are conserned. There is not an OEM or aftermarket system that can touch it, that I have found to date anyway. I have been trying to find something similar for my Chevy pickup ever since I got the Expy. Most of the over top features or the sync nav system, lie in the Sirius travelink portion of the system. This seems to be an exclusive setup offered to Ford only, at least for now. You can pull up weather forcast, instant Radar images overlaying your current posistion, trafic conditions, Movie listings, Fuel prices, ect. Find the best price on fuel, press a button the nav guides you there.

Power seems similar, the Xpy rides a little smoother do to the independant rear suspension, however the Suburban I thought handled a trailer better, do to its solid rear axle. So the rest all seemed to be a wash, I liked one thing slightly better on one vs the other, makeing it a wash IMO. Fold flat seats, and Sync NAV was what put the Ford in my garage.

Last edited by cc1999; 01-21-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:39 PM
Please Help...Advice needed for purchasing new Ford SUV...

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your info above, I enjoyed reading your insights...I will have a lease up later this year and will be on the market for a large family SUV. (two kids, two dogs....mostly city driving, but occasional trips from chicago to michigan/NC to visit family)...

Couple of questions.....any advice would be greatly appreciated!! THanks!

1.) Besides price/looks....what are the big differences b/t Navigator/Expedition? Any really big advantages for the Navigator? Seems like the King Ranch Expy is extremely luxurious for a little less $$$ than the navigator.

2.) What's the monthly charge, if any, for the great Navigation System in the Expedition you guys have been talking about?

3.) Any advice on what to shoot for in price when negotiating? I've heard the markup on SUVs, especially loaded ones, is high and where they make their money....What's expected as a reasonable starting point in price? A couple hundred under invoice???

4.) Anyone know anything about the 6000lb GVWR tax write off as a work truck? (I am an IL resident)

5.) And any other suggestions on other large family movers? I will be browsing at the Chicago Auto Show next month....Things to look for?? I currently drive a Crown vic, my mom has a ranger, my dad an Edge, and my sister has two escapes.....You could say we're partial to ford!!!

THANKS!!!

Fitz

Old 02-18-2010, 01:38 PM
Why Ford Wins

I just finished several months of comparison shopping for a large SUV. I was mainly looking used (I don't like paying the depreciation in the first year). I actually started out to buy an 07 or 08 Denali. But as I looked at more vehicles several things became clear:
1) The GM's have great power (Denali/Escalade are 403HP).
2) Dashboard of Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade (they're all essentially the same) is very nicely done
3) That's end of their benefits.
4) I looked at the Toyota Tundra: CHEAP interior, weak standard engine. It just didn't make it. But really the interior is hideous and cheap looking. Plus quality hasn't been that good so why bother paying the premium.
5) Fords/Lincolns are quieter and ride better.
6) The interior quality of the Ford products is better, by 30,000 miles every yukon or escalade I looked at had something broken or not working (often electric seat was defective). I didn't find that on a single Ford/Lincoln
7) The packaging of the Ford products is so much better, the GM's are pickups with seats, the Fords are designed as an SUV.

In the final analysis for me I ended up focusing on the Expedition Eddie Bauer or Navigator. I ended up with the 06 Navigator (personally I don't like the post 06 Navi's that much - too much flash), to my eye it has among the best interior ever in any American car (and most imports as well). It also has all the Expedition pluses (high tow capacity, fold flat seats, robust mechanicals).

As to the power question (the magazines always call the expedition 'sluggish). First I find the engine has lots of torque and the car is deceptively fast. The GM's SOUND faster because you constantly hear the engine. The Ford/Lincoln is silent but look down at the speedo as it rapidly winds its way into extralegal territory. Guys, 300HP is PLENTY for most of us!

Quick Reply: Expedition 2010 vs others