Expedition / Navigator

Please Help...Advice needed for purchasing new Ford SUV...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help...Advice needed for purchasing new Ford SUV...

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your info above, I enjoyed reading your insights...I will have a lease up later this year and will be on the market for a large family SUV. (two kids, two dogs....mostly city driving, but occasional trips from chicago to michigan/NC to visit family)...

Couple of questions.....any advice would be greatly appreciated!! THanks!

1.) Besides price/looks....what are the big differences b/t Navigator/Expedition? Any really big advantages for the Navigator? Seems like the King Ranch Expy is extremely luxurious for a little less $$$ than the navigator.

2.) What's the monthly charge, if any, for the great Navigation System in the Expedition you guys have been talking about?

3.) Any advice on what to shoot for in price when negotiating? I've heard the markup on SUVs, especially loaded ones, is high and where they make their money....What's expected as a reasonable starting point in price? A couple hundred under invoice???

4.) Anyone know anything about the 6000lb GVWR tax write off as a work truck? (I am an IL resident)

5.) And any other suggestions on other large family movers? I will be browsing at the Chicago Auto Show next month....Things to look for?? I currently drive a Crown vic, my mom has a ranger, my dad an Edge, and my sister has two escapes.....You could say we're partial to ford!!!

THANKS!!!

Fitz

Old 01-22-2010, 05:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fitz78
1.) Besides price/looks....what are the big differences b/t Navigator/Expedition? Any really big advantages for the Navigator? Seems like the King Ranch Expy is extremely luxurious for a little less $$$ than the navigator.
used to be a huge difference. was usually a different motor, and more cooler options

now, pretty much just cosmetic differences. The Navi will have all the options...and a higher price tag. But they are extremely nice. And they typically have better Warranties than the Ford version

KR's are the "poop". I have a Limited and love it. The KR Saddle Leather can be a PITA to upkeep though. It's a bit more finicky than regular leather
2.) What's the monthly charge, if any, for the great Navigation System in the Expedition you guys have been talking about?
Navigation is free.

But....if you want an update map DVD, you have to buy that. And that can cost you $100+. Just somehting to consider. The Navigation system will come with DVD's that will be great for use, but if you live where alot of road work is occuring, they will get outdated.
3.) Any advice on what to shoot for in price when negotiating? I've heard the markup on SUVs, especially loaded ones, is high and where they make their money....What's expected as a reasonable starting point in price? A couple hundred under invoice???
GET A X-PLAN PIN!!

otherwise, don't pay a penny over MSRP. at least start at MSRP (sticker) price, and then get all applicable rebates you can.

My EL Limited was basically $50,000 on the MSRP after options and Dealer markup. I drove it off the lot for $38,000. Not the best deal, but certainly decent.
4.) Anyone know anything about the 6000lb GVWR tax write off as a work truck? (I am an IL resident)
???
5.) And any other suggestions on other large family movers? I will be browsing at the Chicago Auto Show next month....Things to look for?? I currently drive a Crown vic, my mom has a ranger, my dad an Edge, and my sister has two escapes.....You could say we're partial to ford!!!
I have myself, wife, 6yr old, twins @ 1yr and a newborn coming...so 6 total. They Expy is perfect. My model only has 7 passenger seating, but I will be buying the center bench portion to get 8 passenger capability for when family visit.

Look into the Ford Flex. If you only have 6 passenger seating requirement...the Flex is AWESOME. Especially the 2010/2011 models with the Ecoboost. 360 HP (I think) and it's pretty nimble. Fun to drive as well

I looked at the Suburban/Yukon XL...they are very nice. But their pricetag is outrageous...$55,000 after incentives for the GM equivalent to what I currently own.
bold stuff.

I highly suggest you look at a gently used 08/09 model. The price will be better, and you aren't missing any "gotta have" features. Except Sync. Only 2009+ models get that.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Thanks!!

Tylus,

Thanks for your well thought out, clear response.....greatly appreciated....my dad said the interior of the Flex is really nice (I'm not so crazy about the exterior), so I will check that out at the Chicago Auto Show....I assume the ecoboost is the same motor shared with the Taurus SHO?? I read about that in car n' driver....sounds like a great car....

Anyway, one last question....is the X-plan pin the friends and neighbors discount???

Congrats on the baby on the way....you sound like a busy guy!

Thanks for your help in my quest for a family SUV!

fitz

Old 01-22-2010, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by fitz78
Tylus,

Thanks for your well thought out, clear response.....greatly appreciated....my dad said the interior of the Flex is really nice (I'm not so crazy about the exterior), so I will check that out at the Chicago Auto Show....I assume the ecoboost is the same motor shared with the Taurus SHO?? I read about that in car n' driver....sounds like a great car....
yep, the Flex will end up with the same twin turbo/dual turbo as the Taurus SHO

don't discount the Flex until you drive one. they are very very nice. the one I drove only had the normal V-6. I can't imagine what the Ecoboost will be like. And for such a "small" vehicle, they interior is quite roomy.

And it can come in AWD. Mighty useful for those of y'all up North.
Anyway, one last question....is the X-plan pin the friends and neighbors discount???
technically, but anybody with a free x-plan pin can give one away. all you need is that pin.

another alternative is to own Ford stock. if you own just 1 piece of stock, you can fax off a form to Ford. in about 1 week, they will send you your very own X-Plan pin.

I bought my Mustang with the X-Plan....$34,500 to $27,500 after X-Plan and Rebates...love it
Congrats on the baby on the way....you sound like a busy guy!
yeap...little sleep to be had around here
Thanks for your help in my quest for a family SUV!
that's what we are here for. Help, ideas and other stuff
bold stuff again

Old 01-23-2010, 07:34 AM
Other then trim, There is not much difference if any in the KR vs NAVI.
I have had 3 KRs 1-F150, 1-F250 and now a KR Expedition. I have not really had any trouble with the seats, just leather conditioner once a year is about all I ever did to any of mine, same as all my other vehichles with leather seats. Its a lot better quality leather then I have found in any other SUV on the market, including the NAVI.

The question about the Sync NAV system, I believe you are reffereing to are part of system that is synced in via sirius travel link and that does run an additional 5.00 a month over basic sirius sat radio services.

Suv's are treated different then pickups with 6000 gvw and 6 foot + beds or longer. SUVs and 5.5 Crew cab pickups have a 25,000.00 cap as far as a write off goes. At least that was what they have been in the past, not sure if that is still the case for 2010.

I got my 09 KR bought in the mid 40s, sticker was about 54K, also took the 3 year 0% money. I ordered my 09 the final week the 09 order bank was open, this was I think last April, I wanted to get the KR just the way I wanted it, but also was trying to time it so I got the best rebates I could. It came in and I took delivery last June while the incentives were pretty strong.

Last edited by cc1999; 01-23-2010 at 07:42 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:51 AM
Thanks Fellas!

Thanks for the info...I will be loaded with info to negotiate....

Tylus,

This will make you feel good about your mustang deal...I bought an 02' Crown Vic in 2001 right after 9/11 and paid $28k and change.....and you got an 09' Stang for 27,500.....wow.

I might fly you into chicago and negotiate for me! Haha....

Thanks guys!

It won't be for a few months, but I will let you know what happens....

Old 01-23-2010, 08:58 AM
Thats probably a good thing, since rebates tend to get better as model year gets closer to the end, the rebates generally always get better.

This time last year Ford shut down the Expedition production line and moved it to the Super duty plant in KY. Supply was extreamly short. March of last year there was not a new Expedition on any dealers lot in a 200 mile radius of me. I finally wnet and test drove a used one I found 70 miles away. Dealers had them back in stock by last summer, and supply should be back to normal, so that may mean the rebates may be better this year then they were last year.

Trending Topics

Old 01-24-2010, 01:06 AM

x2 with what cc1999 said. I litterally bought the last Expedition in all of Hawaii in April of 2009. The sticker was so high that nobody would bite on it. It is a 2008 model that sat on the lot for 7 months.

The Dealerships didn't get any new models until darn near December. For about 6 months there was nothing but used floating about.

You will pay a pretty penny for one, but they are worth it IMO. Only way I'll give up mine is if the 6.2 debuts on the 2012 models. Then all bets are off. I'll either upgrade...or run the Saleen Blower. gotta keep it competitive

there are multiple ways to save thousands of $$$ when buying anything.
1. Car Purchase Programs. I bought my 2006 FX4 Supercrew using the Costco Car Buying Program. basically it's the X-Plan program. Sticker prices was $44,000. Costco Price was $36,000 & some change...and you get all applicable rebates. I drove it off the lot for $32,000.

2. X-Plan. amazing program

3. persistence. I make a fair offer and do my research. I also scope out the local inventory. Then watch it for 1-2 months. You'll notice real quick which ones don't move.
Little things can make a big deal. I noticed my Expy had been Safety Checked in Oct of 2008. But I was looking at it in April. So I merely pointed out it had been sitting there for months. Made a fair offer and left. Then tried to swing by there nearly every day and ask. It took 2 weeks, but they took my offer.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:53 PM
Thanks again...

I do have a patient of mine that is in Quality Control at the ford Plant in chicago where they make the Taurus...he told me when I have a Expy picked out to send him the VIN # and he can search it for me to make sure it passed all inspections and if they're giving me a good price......

Always nice to know people....thanks for all the advice fellas!

fitz

Quick Reply: Please Help...Advice needed for purchasing new Ford SUV...