Expedition / Navigator

What's this switch for?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 07:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's this switch for?

I just purchased a 2006 Expedition and don't know what this switch does. It's round, about the size of a penny and is located on the dash above and to the right of the 4X4 switch, to the left of the radio and below the dash vent. There is no mention in the manual and I don't notice anything when it's on or off.
Thanks!

Old 03-16-2010, 07:41 PM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
picture would help

Old 03-16-2010, 08:18 PM
I'm sorry but I'm new to posting on this forum. Can't figure out how to post an image.

Old 03-16-2010, 08:21 PM
Global Moderator &
Administrator
Contributor
Super Moderator
Received 135 Likes on 112 Posts
from the sound of it, is probably an aftermarket switch.

You could search for expedition dashes on google and see if you see another one that has the button you are talking about

Old 03-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Suspended
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was thinking back-up assist, but usually it has a a little picture... push, it and back up to something really really fast... see if somethings beeps... haha

Old 03-16-2010, 08:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
going to suggest maybe its the switch to move the pedals front to back? Just a guess as I know little to nothing about Expeditions! If this is it, then you'd have to hold the switch to get anything out of it. After reading the question a few times over, I'm starting to think I'm wrong!

Good luck

Nem

Old 03-16-2010, 10:56 PM
its a passenger side ejection seat button to get rid of a nagging wife!

Trending Topics

Old 03-17-2010, 12:09 AM
I'm going to second the aftermarket idea.

If in doubt, pull off the dash and follow it. You can take that part of the dash off by unbolting the 2 screws (7mm or 10mm, can't remember) that are in the dash cluster, then pulling on the dash. It helps if you lower the steering wheel, and put the shifter all the way to 1 (if you have a steering column shifter.) Obviously, put the parking brake on first. You'll have to disconnect connectors on the way (headlight, power pedal, 4x4, etc.)

As for posting a picture, load it up to a site like photobucket, and post the code that looks like this (without the *):
[img]photo address[/*img]

Old 03-17-2010, 09:01 PM
Thanks to all for the suggestions, especially about the nagging wife. Do they make a switch for that???? I found out that it affects the radio. Radio on, switch on - everything is fine. When I turn the switch off, the radio playes just static. The manual says the radio is "satelite radio compatible." Could this have something to do with turing the satelite on? Thanks!

Old 03-18-2010, 03:00 AM
I still say pull the dash and follow the wires. Really isn't too hard.

Does it do it in FM or AM radio? Any station? Does the radio switch modes, or does it stay in radio mode?

Old 03-18-2010, 08:47 PM
I don't think I tried it in AM. It does stay in radio mode but seems to weaken the reception. Some stations go altogether while others sound like there is a weaker signal. I will pull the dash becuase the light bulb for the tachometer is out.

I found out today that the passenger side power window switch isn't working. I swear it worked at the dealer. I can raise and lower it from the driver's side but not the passenger side. Is replacing this switch difficult? If not I'd like to save a day going to the dealer. Thanks for the help. I've had many Ford trucks and have always been happy. This is my first Ford SUV.

Old 03-19-2010, 08:29 AM
Received 109 Likes on 102 Posts
Sounds like an antenna disconnect switch for an aftermarket audio device that uses an FM modulator or it powers an FM modulator that has been added.

Old 03-20-2010, 05:35 AM
How to do it one handed
http://blip.tv/file/3252402

Also, how to take the driver's side switch apart. Should be similar/easier with the passenger side. Try cleaning it with parts cleaner.
http://blip.tv/file/3015848

Old 03-21-2010, 08:42 AM
Re: dash switch...I found an FM modulator behind the dash by going through the glove compartment. I assume it is for the satellite service (which I won't be using) but can I use it for anything? Will it help my Ipod's FM transmitter? Thanks!

Re: PW switch...I pulled it out, but needed two hands. I cleaned all the connections but still no luck. I'll just try replacing the switch. Could/should they stop working like this? Thanks!

Old 03-21-2010, 02:26 PM
Switch: Those things do build crud over time, so it is possible they stop working from time to time. Did you clean the contacts (the little round things), or just the connections? You can see the contacts when you take the switch apart. You can try buying a new one, though I think they are like 50+ dollars on ebay and tascaparts.com.

Dash switch: It may not have been for the satellite service. Maybe they had an mp3 player with an FM modulator, but their local stations might have been overpowering it, so they disconnected the antenna? Just a thought. See if you can get online info on the modulator you found to see if you can use it with your Ipod?

Quick Reply: What's this switch for?