Expedition / Navigator

Moving West...

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Moving West...

1)Hello people i'm currently moving on to the westcoast(Las Vegas) and i live in Grffin,Georgia.Ima drive my 98' Expo from here to there. But my only reson im saying this is because I hope I dont get stranded in the middle of nowere with a broken down vehicle, So in order to prevent this, I want to replace anything that U guys think i should do before i leave on my trip to start a new life in LV.
What u guys think I should do to my expo before i leave?
Im on a budget of 1500-2000$max to spend on anypart too buy.
Miles 250,000+
5.4triton
4wD
2) I know one thing to replace, I think its called the oil cooler assembaly line,
A)

B)

But they sell 2 types of these hoses which is my?
A}with Tapped Hole?
B} Without Tapped Hole For Pressure Sender?

im not sure like i said which hose it is i need it! because she eats oil

Old 06-21-2010, 07:20 AM

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
???????????????????????????????????????????????

#1: 'Vegas = inland not West Coast

#2: changing an oil cooler line becuase your truck is burning oil = not so intelligent

#3 since you didn't metion regular maintenance you might want to start there

motorcraft plugs, clean air filter, clean MAF, clean the TB and elbow, new PCV valves, o2 sensors fluid flush and change all around, tires rotated axle bearings greased...

Old 06-21-2010, 10:49 AM
I'm not familiar with that hose. Is your truck leaking or burning oil? Or both? And, will you be pulling a trailer?

So it looks like ~2000 miles and you can take I40 almost the whole way, right? I had a '98 V6 2WD when I moved from Indiana to Colorado in 2003. It leaked. And I still used it to pull a 6' U-haul that 1100 miles. Then I drove it home-n-back for Christmas. Then I hauled another U-haul 1000 miles when I moved to Louisiana in 2005. Then back again when I moved back to Colorado in 2006. By that last trip, it had 160,000+ miles on the odometer.

My point: I think you'll do fine. If you need peace of mind, maybe you could invest in a AAA membership. Maybe a "cheap" set of tires from a national chain with a warranty. Oil change and radiator flush would be needed without question. (The areas you're driving through are hotter than HELL ) If you have a tool chest, pack it in a place where you can get to it...just in case.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rAHnwWfsaY

Last edited by mustangjonny84; 06-21-2010 at 10:50 AM. Reason: spelling is for sissies :)
Old 06-22-2010, 08:03 AM
Thanks for your suggestions,yes i did do the spark plugs(Bosch PlatinumIR Fusion Spark Plug) And i bought a can of seafoam to help clean her inside

Also she dosnt burn old it just leaks out from the oil cooler lines thats why i want to replace them asap!But i dont know which one is it???

new airfilter
fuel filter is only 11months old
Transmission fluid is cherry red
1 year old MAF and 8month old airflowsensor
New brakes and roters
new exhaust
(CATs)
Im replace:
PVC valves
new tires(Not sure which i should get?)
MY rearend is leaking too i think its the seal around it?
transfer case new fluid
new coil springs
also buy new front shocks(Any requested brands?)
I kinda worried about the balljoints
I not sure about these?i only have a month and 2weeks left to get things done !
Thanks mustangjonny 4 the encuragement

Old 06-27-2010, 09:08 PM
I just came from Newton co. GA in November, all I really did was:

plugs&COP's
PCV
inspect vacuum lines (replace if necessary)
clean intake
paid Bill & Corey a visit for 87 performance tune
fluid change (coolant, transmission, transfer case, both axles)
o2 sensors

that's all I can think of, off the top of my head. I got a high of just over 18 mpg

I've done the I-5 Seattle-SoCal trip numerous times, and drove Seattle to Atlanta and back and the Expy never failed me

also get AAA as mentioned, we have that as well as roadside assistance from our insurance provider.

Old 07-08-2010, 01:01 AM
Originally Posted by 5.4T
2) I know one thing to replace, I think its called the oil cooler assembaly line,
A)

B)
Ok I getting tired of putting oil every day now, but i cant seem to find a answer which HOSE I NEED! hasnt some one replaced this part before?

Quick Reply: Moving West...