Expedition / Navigator

285 40 24 rub?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
285 40 24 rub?

Hey guys....I know this may not be the preferred route here (going with large diameter wheels) but I'm hoping someone may be able to help. I've wasted hours and hours looking online and I've not found an answer to this.

I just bought an 09 Navigator and would like to do 24's, however I still need to go lock to lock with the steering and have no rub. Will a 285 35 24 or 285 40 24 rub?

What's the largest diameter I can get away with. I'm hopin a 33 is good. Also any ideal offset info you guys can give me would be great. There's just a suprising lack of info I've been able to find. (ps, the rims I'm looking at are either 9.5 or 10in wide)

thanks to anyone that can help

Old 06-07-2011, 12:31 PM
the OEM size tire is 31.9" so 33" isnt going to be that much bigger. I also know you can do a 325/50/20 with no issues and thats 32.7ish"

best bet is to turn the wheel to lock and get under the truck and take a look.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:25 AM
I'll keep this thread updated. Yesterday I swung by discount tire to see what they could tell me. They went into their computer and found that it said a 285 40 24 would fit. Which is exaclty what I wanted. (thick enough sidewall for towing and not that slinky rubber band look with a too small tire).

I decided to order them up through them because they've always been good to me in the past and now I have a finger to point at if there is rub. They said by some chance if there is rub we will take them off and figure out something that will work. Which is exactly what I wanted to hear.

I will update in the next few days and things roll in.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:55 AM
wow this place is dead.....Hopefully this can help someone searching the net in the future. I went with 24x10 U2 55 wheels. Offset is right about 35mm. Tires are Parada 285 40 24. I have no rub at full lock, performed many many u turns and pulled into gas stations and whatnot up incline full lock. I can say for sure this combo will not rub.

As for ride.....it's better. With the 18's it almost seemed a little bouncy and vague feeling. Now it's more like driving a german car, you feel more connected to the road. The roads here in Mission Beach SD where I live are not very good but the truck still glides over them.

Couldn't be happier.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:02 PM
It looks good. What are u towing with it? Just curious of how much weight. I'm wanting to go from 22s to 24s but I tow a lot. Is it just me or does that side chrome molding look a little out of place? I think it would look better black. Just my 2 cents.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by hotstang46
wow this place is dead.....Hopefully this can help someone searching the net in the future. I went with 24x10 U2 55 wheels. Offset is right about 35mm. Tires are Parada 285 40 24. I have no rub at full lock, performed many many u turns and pulled into gas stations and whatnot up incline full lock. I can say for sure this combo will not rub.

As for ride.....it's better. With the 18's it almost seemed a little bouncy and vague feeling. Now it's more like driving a german car, you feel more connected to the road. The roads here in Mission Beach SD where I live are not very good but the truck still glides over them.

Couldn't be happier.

nice navi

Old 06-15-2011, 12:32 AM
Originally Posted by oneupper
It looks good. What are u towing with it? Just curious of how much weight. I'm wanting to go from 22s to 24s but I tow a lot. Is it just me or does that side chrome molding look a little out of place? I think it would look better black. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks for the compliments guys. The truck is so big...to me and most who have seen it the 24's don't even look oversized. More like it's the right size to put on there in the first place.

For your question on the towing...I will be towing a bunch of stuff but the heaviest load will be a 24 enclosed race trailer with a mustang and two sportbikes in it. With gear and whatnot it will be pushing the limits at a hefty 8500-9000lbs. I will use a load leveling hitch of course. In regards to the tires with this load I have no concern what so ever. The parada is one heck of nice tire in every aspect. It's why I wanted the 40 sidewall. You can check the load rating..it's up there beyond what the truck is capable of.

I say do the 24's if you have a navi or expo. The compliment the truck so well

Old 06-17-2011, 08:07 PM
im running 305 35 24s on my o3 navigator with a 3.5in drop. I was dropped 6 inches and only had an issue with the little lips on the top of the wheel wells but if your stock you shouldnt have any issues.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:05 PM
Looks like an old post so I'll bring it back! I'm so going to copy you lol but think ima do 26s is your navi a 4x4?

Quick Reply: 285 40 24 rub?